Pro Football Weekly has us dead last

Bad teams draft poorly. Look how the Bills have spent their 1st round picks in 10 years.

The Bills have needed a QB for the better part of the last decade. About the only top QB's they realistically had a shot at were Aaron Rodgers (and that was the year after they drafted JP)and Matt Schaub (who still hasn't taken his team to the playoffs). The Bills have drafted as high as 3rd overall, but couldn't land a good QB. The Steelers got Roethlisberger (who the Bills tried to trade up to get) with the 11th pick. So there are other factors at work besides just drafting poorly, which admittedly, has also happened with the Bills.

The "highly touted QBs" of next draft so far don't seem better than the top 4 taken this year, or even Levi Brown for that matter.

I'll leave it to the college/draft experts to list their strengths and weaknesses, but from what I've gathered, 2011 is a great year for QB's, with as many as 5 projected to go in the 1st, and 3 sure to go in the top-15. That is, as of right now. But that could change at the end of the 2010 college football season.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some things on this list that don't make sense, but having the Bills last is no surprise. The general consensus, after the off season signings, off season losses, the draft, etc. that the Bills are the worst team in football. Being a life long Bills fan, it is tough to say, but at this point, I can't argue, in fact my brain tells me that assessment is right on. The only team that I see competing with us at this point, is Tampa Bay. The Lions have had a much better off season than we have, the Raiders had a good draft and have more talent anyway, they just need some guidance to head it in the right direction. K.C. is young, but have some good talent. Holmgren will get the Browns headed in the right direction sooner than later. The Rams have some talent, and now have a quarterback that is a good bet to be a franchise signal caller or a long time, something the Bills haven't had in 15 years. The Seahawks had maybe the best draft in the league and have a good veteran QB if he can stay healthy. All this coupled with the fact that the Bills play in the toughest division in the NFL, as witnesses by the 3 other teams being in the top 13 teams in the NFL on this list, and two of them in the top 7 speaks for itself. This team has a long way to go, lets hope the current regime can do something the last few couldn't, but at this point they haven't proven anything, and they spent the #13 overall pick on a player (exciting but still) who plays in one of the two areas of the team that we actually have quality depth at. Then after taking a running back at number one, with teams wanting to trade for Lynch, they kept asking for way too much for him, instead of trading the thug for a pick that might help us fill one more of the many holes on this team. We could have all sat back and watch him screw up again and get suspended for an entire season, while he is on another team's roster. We all hope for the best, but don't be surprised if when the Superbowl ends this coming season that the Bills are on the clock with the first overall pick, probably to pick another running back.

All it takes is just 1 or maybe 2 key injuries and the season could be over for some perennial playoff teams. If Brady, Manning or Brees goes down with a significant injury, will the Patriots, Colts or Saints realistically have any kind of shot? If Favre doesn't come back, are the Vikings going to ride Jackson or Rosenfels into the playoffs?

The Bills are in transition. We know what they're transitioning from, not so sure what they're transitioning to. Like most fans, I wish they had addressed the LT and QB issue in the draft or trades. But to this point, they look like they're sticking with what they've got. I am hopeful that the coaching and staff change will get a lot more out of the players. I do expect them to play harder, smarter and more disciplined this year.

Playoffs? No.

8-8? Maybe.

A team that no one wants to face by the end of the season. Hell yeah.

All it takes is just 1 or maybe 2 key injuries and the season could be over for some perennial playoff teams. If Brady, Manning or Brees goes down with a significant injury, will the Patriots, Colts or Saints realistically have any kind of shot? If Favre doesn't come back, are the Vikings going to ride Jackson or Rosenfels into the playoffs?

The Bills are in transition. We know what they're transitioning from, not so sure what they're transitioning to. Like most fans, I wish they had addressed the LT and QB issue in the draft or trades. But to this point, they look like they're sticking with what they've got. I am hopeful that the coaching and staff change will get a lot more out of the players. I do expect them to play harder, smarter and more disciplined this year.

Playoffs? No.

8-8? Maybe.

Just ending the season strong, instead of rocketing down a slip-n-slide, will be a very welcome change.

Could you send me that money now so I can earn interest on it? I normally wouldn't bet against the Bills, not because I think they are going to do good, but it is my team, but this bet is like taking candy from a baby. How do I know that when you lose, you won't hide behind your delusional internet muscles and avoid me?

I laugh at your internet muscles comment because if you saw me in person, that's be the last thing you'd say.

And this isn't that hard to figure out. I had a similar bet with stevestojan and he paid up right after he lost. We document the bet here and then when it is clear who the winner is, the loser pays the bet.

So for a $100, I say the Bills won't have the first pick in the draft and you say the will. Is it a bet or not? Man up or shut up.

....A team that no one wants to face by the end of the season. Hell yeah.

If the Bills are not the team that nobody wants to face at the end of 2010 - and it is mainly because no QB on the Bills roster has stepped up, I am all for doing what it takes to get into the front of the line for the Locker/Mallet sweepstakes. <_<

I laugh at your internet muscles comment because if you saw me in person, that's be the last thing you'd say.

And this isn't that hard to figure out. I had a similar bet with stevestojan and he paid up right after he lost. We document the bet here and then when it is clear who the winner is, the loser pays the bet.

So for a $100, I say the Bills won't have the first pick in the draft and you say the will. Is it a bet or not? Man up or shut up.

It's obviously this guy doesn't want back up his claim that the Bills will pick first overall and doesn't want to accept Mike's offer that the Bills won't draft in the Top 10 next year. He's afraid to lose $200.

I'm thinking if the ball bounces our way a little bit this year we and we stay healthier, we will be making a run at the playoffs too. We were in a lot games last year where with an offense with a pulse we could have easily won. I'm thinking Clowns, Saints, jaguars, 2nd Jets game, 2nd Patsies* game. Do you realize the rest of the AFC East had a collective 25 - 23 record last year? We're not far off and will be better.

Go BILLs (making a run for the playoffs) !!

I agree the Bills will be better at the end of the season, but changing defenses and having a new

HC/OC and little talent at QB, WR and O-Line will take it's toll. You can only game plan around so many

deficiencies.

I would look for the Bills to have a solid 2011 draft next year and maybe get a whiff. You have to be really, really,

really good on D to win without a solid passing game. The NFL has become a passing league, and those teams just

don't develop overnight.

Go Bills.

If the Bills are not the team that nobody wants to face at the end of 2010 - and it is mainly because no QB on the Bills roster has stepped up, I am all for doing what it takes to get into the front of the line for the Locker/Mallet sweepstakes. :)

I'm all for jumping into the Locker/Mallet lottery, too. Regardless of where the Bills finish.

I just downloaded the latest On-line edition of PFW & couldn't find a link to this on thir site. The biggest surprise is they rank the Super Bowl champs #10 & Green Bay #1. Here are the rankings

GB

Ind

SD

Min

Balt

NYJ

NE

Dal

Atl

NO

Hou

NYG

Mia

Chi

SF

Wash

Phil

Pit

Cin

Ten

Ariz

Car

Den

Jacks

Sea

Det

KC

Oak

Cle

Stl

TB

Bills

Fair enough.

I expect a bad season, but not that bad. The great thing about football is that you play the games. And how you do on the field is the important thing, not how people think you'll do.

Green Bay is in their second year of the 3 - 4, and I expect their defense to be significantly better. With a young franchise QB, yeah, they're a legit choice for #1, not one I agree with, but legit.

Just ending the season strong, instead of rocketing down a slip-n-slide, will be a very welcome change.

I agree, over the past few seasons, the play has been respectable, even above average for the early part of the season (4-0 a couple years ago), but has eventually went way downhill over the course of the seasons. Some of it had to do with injuries but you can't blame it all on that, poor coaching, even worse playing were a bigger part of the demise of those teams.

The Bills have needed a QB for the better part of the last decade. About the only top QB's they realistically had a shot at were Aaron Rodgers (and that was the year after they drafted JP)and Matt Schaub (who still hasn't taken his team to the playoffs). The Bills have drafted as high as 3rd overall, but couldn't land a good QB. The Steelers got Roethlisberger (who the Bills tried to trade up to get) with the 11th pick. So there are other factors at work besides just drafting poorly, which admittedly, has also happened with the Bills.

I'll leave it to the college/draft experts to list their strengths and weaknesses, but from what I've gathered, 2011 is a great year for QB's, with as many as 5 projected to go in the 1st, and 3 sure to go in the top-15. That is, as of right now. But that could change at the end of the 2010 college football season.

That stuff about QBs is pure guesswork, and there's no such thing as "sure to go in the top 15" before the season. But it all becomes much less solid when you realize that there's a very decent chance that Jake Locker decides to play baseball instead of football and that Andrew Luck is very likely to play two more years and come out in the class of 2012.

That stuff about QBs is pure guesswork, and there's no such thing as "sure to go in the top 15" before the season. But it all becomes much less solid when you realize that there's a very decent chance that Jake Locker decides to play baseball instead of football and that Andrew Luck is very likely to play two more years and come out in the class of 2012.

True and that's why I said it could change. All I can go off of is what I know right now, and in this past draft, Bradford was the 1st overall pick and no other QB went until the middle of the 2nd round.

As for Locker playing baseball, it that's his first love, then that might be what makes his decision. Then again, he was a 10th round pick of the LAA, so they didn't think he was that great of a prospect and he won't be making much money, and that could also drive his decision. We'll see, but I'll bet he chooses football.

And Luck may also look to cash-in on the last rookie class without a true rookie cap, so I'll also wager he comes out. Unless he has a bad year.

They didn't draft a servicable QB, we agree. Their fortunes haven't improved with the lot of their 1st round picks regardless.

Relying on "college/draft experts" (entry level BLESTO scouts) is what convinced us to pick JPL in the first round and not even notice a guy like Schaub. Guess Aaron Rogers wasn't on the radar of BLESTO yet, huh?

Speaking of Schaub---he had a phenominal year in Houston last season. In his first season as starter, he led a perennially crappy/disappointing team to their first winning season and had the same record as two other AFC playoff teams. His play has turned that team around. His fraction of a season in 2008 was better than JPL's best as a full time starter. Knowing all this, you can only point out that he hasn't taken his team to a playoffs yet?

Nice try. You've been down on this guy since before he was traded to the Texans. He was a total steal--and is rapidly becoming the 4th member of what may turn out to be one of the best QB drafts in history.

I agree, over the past few seasons, the play has been respectable, even above average for the early part of the season (4-0 a couple years ago), but has eventually went way downhill over the course of the seasons. Some of it had to do with injuries but you can't blame it all on that, poor coaching, even worse playing were a bigger part of the demise of those teams.

Avoiding me & C.Biscuit? So you don't want to back up what you're claiming then?

Oh CBiscuit97, you must workout! What's worse, an internet tough guy or Labatt blue'd up Buffalo tough guy in an Affliction T-shirt? CBiscuit, you're the most lecturous poster on this board and anytime you think a poster isn't "being classy" or is name calling your favorite player you are right there to chime in saying that it's not right. Yet you're doing the same thing and now your threatening someone with your "real" muscles! What an incredibly hypocritical d-bag you are.

Playoffs? No.

8-8? Maybe.

I agree with your post, although it would take more than one key injury and quite a few lucky breaks for this team to even break even at 8-8. I am hoping they play harder and smarter, but the level of talent still plays into it as much as anything else and they Bills arent there yet. I think Spiller can be an exciting pro, but for the development of the team, I don't think this new regime did a very good job in the draft as far as improving the entire team. Drafting a LT would have/could have improved the ball running, quarterback play, pass protection, etc. As it is now, drafting a running back like Spiller won' t have the effecthere it could have somewhere else, since we have a punt heavy offense. Just think how bad this team would have been lately without Moorman-but then again you can't go much further down than the bottom.

I agree with your post, although it would take more than one key injury and quite a few lucky breaks for this team to even break even at 8-8. I am hoping they play harder and smarter, but the level of talent still plays into it as much as anything else and they Bills arent there yet. I think Spiller can be an exciting pro, but for the development of the team, I don't think this new regime did a very good job in the draft as far as improving the entire team. Drafting a LT would have/could have improved the ball running, quarterback play, pass protection, etc. As it is now, drafting a running back like Spiller won' t have the effecthere it could have somewhere else, since we have a punt heavy offense. Just think how bad this team would have been lately without Moorman-but then again you can't go much further down than the bottom.

Well.....lucky breaks have happened before, and Lord knows the Bills are WAY overdue for some breaks of the lucky kind. I certainly can't argue with the other parts of your post.

I used to teach several different programming languages; so I will simply end this with "Dr. Fishfinder's Law of Programming""

All code works on paper.