I request an explanation of a musical term - "cover"

I was rooting around YouTube, for a rendition of the Dylan/Cash tune Girl from the North Country from their Nashville Skyline album collaboration.. The citations that I found were labeled as "cover(s).

What is meant by the term, "cover"? IIRC hearing about "cover" groups preceding the main act in live performance.

Thank you.

They sing other peoples music. An AC/DC cover band sings AC/DC songs, but they aren't AC/DC.

Thank you - that answers it. I've read posts here on TSW about this or that cover group, by folks that attend live performances. My thought was that they did their own stuff - an older term was the "warm-up" act.

Another mystery of life solved for me.

Bring back the walnuts avatar come regular season. It was an inspiring springboard for wry comments. Grace us again, please. 0:)

Thank you - that answers it. I've read posts here on TSW about this or that cover group, by folks that attend live performances. My thought was that they did their own stuff - an older term was the "warm-up" act.

Another mystery of life solved for me.

Bring back the walnuts avatar come regular season. It was an inspiring springboard for wry comments. Grace us again, please. 0:)

Are you saying that you've gotten the impression that a cover band will open up a show, going on the stage before the main act gets up there? I don't think that ever actually happens. Having the opening act, or warm up act as you put it, go out there and play nothing but songs of the band that is about to follow them up sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Are you saying that you've gotten the impression that a cover band will open up a show, going on the stage before the main act gets up there? I don't think that ever actually happens. Having the opening act, or warm up act as you put it, go out there and play nothing but songs of the band that is about to follow them up sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Beats me. I'm ignorant about what a cover band is - hence this post. The poster that first answered my question didn't say that the cover ban played the songs of the main act. Perhaps you misread, misinterpreted? 0:)

Beats me. I'm ignorant about what a cover band is - hence this post. The poster that first answered my question didn't say that the cover ban played the songs of the main act. Perhaps you misread, misinterpreted? 0:)

It was the term "warm up act" that you threw out there. I wasn't sure if you were implying that you think they're the same thing. I guess that can happen from time to time, but from what I've seen, I'd say that the cover bands are typically very small acts playing on their own, usually at very small venues. But if a band only covers one or two songs like Chef Jim mentioned, that can happen at pretty much any level, from a big time band like Van Halen all the way down to that group of kids next door in the garage.

A cover band plays renditions of multiple bands' -- usually popular -- songs.

A tribute band plays renditions of one specific bands' songs.

No?

A cover band can be a tribute band. A Rush cover band plays Rush music. The term Tribute Band is used more frequently and probably more recently. In the old days we were cover bands.

A cover band can be a tribute band. A Rush cover band plays Rush music. The term Tribute Band is used more frequently and probably more recently. In the old days we were cover bands.

Weird. I was under the impression you didn't sway far from Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck and Jean-Baptiste Lully.

They sing other peoples music. An AC/DC cover band sings AC/DC songs, but they aren't AC/DC.

We actually prefer "AC/DC ripoff band" over "AC/DC tribute band".

Because quite frankly, we are ripping them off, not paying tribute. :angry:

We actually prefer "AC/DC ripoff band" over "AC/DC tribute band".

Because quite frankly, we are ripping them off, not paying tribute. :angry:

In a way, doesn't AC/DC cover themselves with each new song?

I was rooting around YouTube, for a rendition of the Dylan/Cash tune Girl from the North Country from their Nashville Skyline album collaboration.. The citations that I found were labeled as "cover(s).

What is meant by the term, "cover"? IIRC hearing about "cover" groups preceding the main act in live performance.

Thank you.

There is a good cover of that song on the Sons of Anarchy soundtrack.