NFL.com Analyst puts Bills 2nd to last...

Buffalo Bills: I will get some negative comments about the Lions being ranked ahead of the Bills, but Buffalo has many problems. Who is the QB? Who blocks the edges in the protection schemes? Who replaces the production WR Terrell Owens delivered last year? How does a defense that gave up 156.3 yards per game on the ground get better when the front office took a running back in the first round of the draft and converted to a 3-4 scheme?

i usually like kirwan, he's a fairly knowledgable guy, but come on, As a former GM he should know that its not all about the first rd, bringing in troup, carrington, edwards, davis, should go a long way towards shoring up that run D, plus moving guys like maybin, poz, and even ellis to positions that better suit their talents.

we should be able to cut that # in half almost

Buffalo Bills: I will get some negative comments about the Lions being ranked ahead of the Bills, but Buffalo has many problems. Who is the QB? Who blocks the edges in the protection schemes? Who replaces the production WR Terrell Owens delivered last year? How does a defense that gave up 156.3 yards per game on the ground get better when the front office took a running back in the first round of the draft and converted to a 3-4 scheme?

i usually like kirwan, he's a fairly knowledgable guy, but come on, As a former GM he should know that its not all about the first rd, bringing in troup, carrington, edwards, davis, should go a long way towards shoring up that run D, plus moving guys like maybin, poz, and even ellis to positions that better suit their talents.

Agreed. I think our offense is bound to be in shambles but we've brought in a LOT of solid additions to our run Defense. Plus our pass defense is already stellar...I think we'll be in a lot of very low scoring games this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Copy & Paste that link. Only the Rams were rated worse...

It must be that I'm a pessimist but I don't expect any better then a bottom 5 finish next year. To be honest, that wouldn't really disappoint me... this way the bills will get one of the top 2 qbs next year in the draft. Which ultimately leads us to back to the Super Bowl!

Agreed. I think our offense is bound to be in shambles but we've brought in a LOT of solid additions to our run Defense. Plus our pass defense is already stellar...I think we'll be in a lot of very low scoring games this year.

Our run defense should definitely be better. After the combine, I started thinking about the draft and it occurred to me that easily our most overlooked issue was the run defense, if not also the most important. I think with how bang-your-head-against-the-wall-bad things were last year, people tend to forget how many games we were in late and lost and how much that was due to us not being able to stop the run. Not to say that we're going to win 10 games this year because all we needed were some fat guys, but I think it will go a long way to making the Bills more watchable than the past few years. I don't know about anyone else, but I can stand lower scoring games, but I can't stand watching a team run 6 times in a row for 4 first downs in the 4th quarter of a tight game.

You can make the QB/LT case boths ways on this too. One is saying that if you have a good QB/LT you need to get the ball to the offense one time in the fourth quarter, they score, team wins. On the flip side, if you don't have such a good QB, you have to get him the ball more than once in the 4th quarter to expect to come back. Since for the most part it's easier to find run defenders than a guaranteed good QB in the draft, I can see why they did what they did in the draft on defense.

Yes they have better run defenders but where is the pass rush going to come from? in the 3-4 you might get 10 sacks from the whole Dline - you need to get 20+ sacks from your OLB position, that's expecting a lot out of Maybin and whoever else is going to play OLB.

I'm a little baffled by this as well. We spent our #2 and our #3 picks on our defensive front 7 and we signed two starting free agents. Potentially 4 starters or at least players that should see significant time. Since our backfield is very strong, how do we get a _worse_ defense out of this??

I doubt we'll cut that rushing total in half. That would be amazing. (But I would enjoy seeing it!) It would take some all-worldly play out of our newcomers.

I cannot decide who I disagree with more, the journalists that spew their nonsensical garbage or those on this board that think the Bills have improved in relation to the competition.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the season no matter what the so-called experts say. I think we will defend the run better simply because we have more size and speed on D and that will make teams throw more and then we'll let Byrd and company do their thing.

The Bills have been outplayed because they have been small, and outpowered. The offense couldn't get a first down because they were so predictable that we could have guessed what they were doing just by watching the tv. I think the defense will be better and stronger, and our offense will get more first downs because they won't be so predictable. I think the training will be tougher, hence making the team tougher and I feel the comfort relaxed style of play will be out the window this year. That alone will get us a few more more wins. I'm not saying a playoff run, but at least close to 8-8 at best. We have 6-8 wins this year, then we know Chan is the real deal. Rome wasn't built in a year and neither will the Bills. I do believe that who ever plays us will know that we came to play and win, and that might even get us a win or two. Being the underdog can turn the tables pretty fast so I expect a good entertaining season with us being in a lot more games than we thought. No playoffs, but at least fun to watch!!!!

is anybody really surprised that some know-nothing hack regurgitated the exact same thing that Peter King said last week? It would take talent and effort for these guys to accurately report on all 32 teams, which none of them have.

If they cared they could probably check out this board and at least get accurate info on the Bills which would be more refreshing than the crap that they spew now.