What is right with the Buffalo Bills !!!!

I've been down on Trent Edwards along with most other fans. Last year - mostly after the concussion - he just looked awful. Mostly it was mental, though. You could tell when watching him that he was afraid - afraid to throw it deep, afraid to stay in the pocket, afraid to take chances. Physically, though, he has all the tools to be a very good QB. When he was coming out of college Bill Walsh was very intrigued by him, being very reminded of Joe Montana... I have this theory that a great QB could be drafted by the wrong team, in the wrong system, and never achieve anything, and go on to anonymity - and vice versa, that the right QB selected into the right situation is what makes a QB great, more than anything else, since the top hundred or so in the league probably, to a high degree, all have similar physical tools.

Anyway, after hearing Edwards talk lately, it sounds like he might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I think it took J.P. Losman being demoted and being thrown into the minor league for him to get to that nothing to lose state of mind where I think Edwards needs to be for a while in order to break that cycle of fear and inhibition. It is encouraging to hear him talk a little cocky - maybe he's gotten to that point where he has nothing to lose, has a new system, a good offensive coach and - here's my positive for today - maybe it'll come together for him this year and he turns it on. I think he could really win a bunch of games for us playing conservative with the occasional long ball, doing something like 250 yrds per game and 2 touchdowns... with a good defense, good running game I think he might really blossom - it depends, of course, on overcoming the mental aspect. With his talents as good as they are - I think he is either terrible because he's terrified (in which case he won't be playing anywhere if he continues like last year), or he overcomes it and, then he really could do anything.

I hope Trent or whomever becomes the starter this year does a great job at QB, and at crunch time when the Bills are down they lift the Bills up and motivate the offense on the sideline prior to taking the field for the final series of the game, and then lead the team to victory in those close games! It seems like we lose 5 or 6 games a year that we have said...we let that one slip away! Well, maybe this year we'll win 4 of those on top of my (old prediction 5-11) to give us 9 wins this year!!! So I am going to think positive and predict an alarming 9-7 this year as the Bill's Circle the Wagons for the first time in a long time!!! And, I'll even go on the ledge to predict the Bills will somehow get the final wild-card spot at 9 wins even though it often takes 10 wins to get in ! Now, that is optimism!Bills 2010 prediction increased to:9-7 ! :lol:

1. The 3-4 defense should allow the team to use move some of our athletes (maybin) and put more pressure on the QB.

2. Our secondary is very good.

3. We are deep at RB.

4. Bruce DeHaven is back.

5. New strength and conditioning coaches.

The fans.

The city.

If you've ever been to a game of a corporate run, big city team, you know how unique and special the Bills are in the grand scheme of football.

Went to a Panthers vs NE game in Charoltte. The place was pack. It was so quiet you'd have though you were in a library, and the panthers won. Everyone was there only for the event of it all. They could have cared less win or lose. :lol:

Positive huh? Ok, let me take a stab at it. I've thought about it all morning, and all I can come up with is that, at least they aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates (my fave MLB team). The Bills only have 10 playoff-less seasons in a row. The Pirates have 19 losing seasons in a row. I'm so blessed with my teams.

I have said it from the beginning:

1. Dick Jauron is gone. - Quite possibly the worst coach in Bills history, if you don't factor in the w-l records.

2. They attacked the weaknesses on defense very aggressively in the draft.

3. Spiller - seriously I don't know how anyone in their right mind could pass on him. Luxury pick? thats not possible given the lack of offensive weapons this team had.

4. no more crappy Tampa 2 defense.

5. I am re-reading Marv's book, you can't help but feel like getting up, dusting yourself off, and saying "bring it on bitches"

I think our offense will be a bit better, as Gailey is a guy who knows how to manufacture points with his system. Usually, it won't be enough for us to win games this year. We have stopped trying to clear up the symptoms of being bad with band-aid fixed and big names, we are finally in rebuild mode, something that should have been done a long time ago. We have added a guy who will have the opportunity to make big plays a couple times per week in Spiller.

I don't think Carrington will be dominant, but could be a Phil Hansen/Aaron Schobel type player. I don't think Troup will be dominant this year, but Ted Washington bounced around the league, before he caught fire for us- Troup probably will be similar. I am not sure about Easley, but he was a value pick- get enough of those and you will do well.

As far as the talk about changing coaches changing everything- that is simpleton fan talk. Everyone talks about our problems on the offensive line, defensive line, linebacker and QB and then forgets about it in the next minute and blames the coach. This is why good pro teams just smile and nod at their fans, then ignore them and take their money. I hate to tall you people this- I don't believe Jauron was going to take us back to the Superbowl, but I think we could have made it just as far if he were the coach during the Levy run of the early 1990's. He got the players to buy into his system and play hard- that is the only job of a head coach. If the front office put player aquisition on his plate, then bad on them.

Positive huh? Ok, let me take a stab at it. I've thought about it all morning, and all I can come up with is that, at least they aren't the Pittsburgh Pirates (my fave MLB team). The Bills only have 10 playoff-less seasons in a row. The Pirates have 19 losing seasons in a row. I'm so blessed with my teams.

Close...the Pirates have had 17 straight losing seasons (a record for all 4 major sports, by the way) but they are certainly headed for an 18th straight this year and I will go out on not much of a limb and predict that number to extend past 20.

My positive thought...I think the Bills will play in the Super Bowl in their home state of New York in 2014, and we'll beat an NFC team that relies on throwing the football with a nasty "D", a punishing ground attack, and a well-timed winter storm.

Not a problem... :lol: I agree, there isn't really anything to complain about as the Bills haven't even snapped the ball for real in a game...I guess that's just the point, that I am trying to "learn" after a tough decade to wipe the loser

mentality off our shoulders and try to think positive and feel positive about the future of the Bills. I coul've posted

about all the things that I thought the Bills did this off-season, that IMO were incorrect, but I am trying to concentrate on

the things they did right and try and look at it as "It's the managements job to build the Bills...and they must have

knowlege of the game...and know what their doing...So I should try and give them a chance to build the Bills in the image

of the team they want them to become.....before overanalyzing...and bashing their every move.

So what I'm saying is I agree....and I am also trying not to be a complainer...and your right, there very well may not be

nothing but praise due the Bills...Hopefully that will be the case. :lol:

Way to try and stay positive. One of the things that I think about in the football offseason is all the teams each year that do turn it around suddenly. For most of those teams, before the season, most fans were equally as skeptical as most Bills fans are now. Not to say that it's going to happen (the immediate turnaround), but it goes to show that it doesn't matter what people say now about any team because next year they'll all be busy rationalizing what actually did happen, which is what actually matters.

Hey, I rescind! Some good stuff on this thread. Thanks for taking the shot Tony!

Your welcome, but in 2 hours...I have to decide if I want to revert back to my old, miserable, know-it-all, pessimistic, pathetic, self and spread the negativity I have devoted myself to for the past several years, or be the equally pathetic, slap me in the face, I'll still wag my tail, and buy more tickets, (even though the picture enclosed with my season ticket renewal form is our punter doing what he does best in that miserable loss to the Cleveland Browns) kind of guy!!

I think the next topic should be an easy one! Our your a optimist or negative about the Bills upcoming season, and take a talley of which is the more popular choice! I don't know how the vote thing works when setting up a topic...so if I can't figure it out and you don't see Vote....Are you optimistic or negative about the upcoming Bill's season...then feel free to start that topic if your inclined and you think it's worthy.

As we wind down, after 22 hours of being positive I'm mixed on who I want to be...Mr. Optimist/ Mr. Negativity ??? But, it was a little more fun getting into it with some compassionate Bills fans who will fight to death for the team some adore and Love OR The team you love to hate, but still Love !!! Either way, Thanks for participating everyone!!!! Could be the last thumbs up you might see if I change back at Midnight!!! :rolleyes:

Your welcome, but in 2 hours...I have to decide if I want to revert back to my old, miserable, know-it-all, pessimistic, pathetic, self and spread the negativity I have devoted myself to for the past several years, or be the equally pathetic, slap me in the face, I'll still wag my tail, and buy more tickets, (even though the picture enclosed with my season ticket renewal form is our punter doing what he does best in that miserable loss to the Cleveland Browns) kind of guy!!

I think the next topic should be an easy one! Our your a optimist or negative about the Bills upcoming season, and take a talley of which is the more popular choice! I don't know how the vote thing works when setting up a topic...so if I can't figure it out and you don't see Vote....Are you optimistic or negative about the upcoming Bill's season...then feel free to start that topic if your inclined and you think it's worthy.

As we wind down, after 22 hours of being positive I'm mixed on who I want to be...Mr. Optimist/ Mr. Negativity ??? But, it was a little more fun getting into it with some compassionate Bills fans who will fight to death for the team some adore and Love OR The team you love to hate, but still Love !!! Either way, Thanks for participating everyone!!!! Could be the last thumbs up you might see if I change back at Midnight!!! :rolleyes:

woops...typo....should read: Are you a optimist (1st line of 2nd para..)

Well, I am not used to saying very nice things about my Bills these days. But, I have to follow the positive mood here. I came up with something! Right now, the Bills have no losses and are tied for first in their division. How is that for a positive post..

It's 80 degrees in May. If you are going to spend your time whining about the Bills and a season that is months away on the internet, maybe it's time to re-examine things. :rolleyes:

...a hello !!! This is a Bills message board .......

If you're so witty, try to add to the conversation.

One thing that makes me very optimistic is that the Bills have finally jettisoned the Tampa 2 style of DL's. When the Bills were tough on the oppositions running game, we had 700 + lbs shared between with our tackles. While we don't have this kind of size yet, I do expect to see a big improvement in stopping the run. If we manage to get a more consistent pass rush as well, fabulous.