Why won't the Bills give a #2 pick for Gaither?

Perhaps because his college coach said so? The Ravens didn't put out these "rumors" as some think. Gaither has had attitude problems since high school and Friedgen grew tired of his act at Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...0,6114595.story

Perhaps the Ravens don't want to trade him. Perhaps they are content with having a GREAT pair of bookends as they try to make a deep run this year BEFORE they lose him to FAgency for nothing. Perhaps they really WILL franchise him after the season. None of that changes the fact that he's got a well documented history of not putting forth his best effort consistently.

Giving a guy like that huge money for a glamour position he no longer plays spells trouble. And just because he would automatically be the best LT on our team doesn't necesarily make him worth it. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he didn't have the attitude issues. Maybe he just needs to grow up a bit. Wouldn't be the first time. But that's a LOT of coin to tie up in a player while waiting for him to mature and act like a professional all the time. The Bills' FO isn't in the babysitting business.

GO BILLS!!!

Well stated. Nothing more to add. Sometimes the obvious is too obvious to grasp.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a motivation problem. You want to know motivation? Demetrious Bell and Cornell Green, our present starting tackles are so motivating they get an extraordinary number of off-sides penalties. Only the unintelligent think of offsides as a bad thing. Really it shows motivation. All Gaither ever really bothers to do is pass block and run block. He lacks that off-sides penalty quality demonstrated by our present tackles. The Ravens should give US their second round pick to give Gaither a chance to play alongside Bell and Green.

Gaither had 8 penalties last year. I don't know how many were false starts, though.

In my eyes, this OLT problem could be solved simply by waiting on Jared Gaither being a free agent at the end of the 2010 season, and by evaluating his play, if it's good, sign him to a contract in March of 2011. In this way, the Bills keep a 2nd rounder with Gaither NOT costing them anything other than a free agent contract. Then the Bills can draft a franchise QB and a pass rusher and suddenly you have a team poised to contend, going forward!!

I almost completely agree with your Bell and Green offsides thing.

The only problem I see with it is that laziness, lack of mental focus, and exhaustion can also be reasons for jumping offsides.

yeah..in Gaithers case that would explain any offsides. For Bell and Green it is just a testament to their dedication and emotion. Neither the Raiders nor the Bills would have made the playoffs last year without their hard work.

It has been reported that Baltimore would trade Gaither for a #2 pick in the 2011 draft. What do you think is the reason the Bills arn't willing to make that trade?

That second rounder figures to be an early second rounder yet again.

I suspect that what Chan Gailey will do as HC of the Bills will be surprisingly simialar to what Dick Jauron did; conservative "not to lose", protect the ball, bend but don't break defense, football.

The Bills will win 5-6 games because of it and the fans will eat it up just like the first year of Jauron ball. If they then want to trade up for a franchise QB, they will NEED that pick. If they get that guy, they will begin to become a more aggressive team. If not, they will keep playing not to lose until they do.

The other scenario, a more aggressive, play to win and improve philosophy, involves drafting in the top 5 again. This makes such an early second rounder a pretty steep price to pay for a young LT who has never performed at a Pro Bowl level and is a free agent to be. By contrast, the Bills got a very late first rounder and a 4th rounder for a young LT who had played at a Pro Bowl level and was not in his walk year.

I think what it essentially boils down to is that by being bad, the Bills once again find themselves in an unfavorable position. If they were a finge playoff team drafting mid round, a second rounder would be a considerably lesser price to pay. But being bottom feeders, their second round pick is not only high, but also desperately needed by them.

Back when the Bills were good, I used to look at teams like the Bills and be very thankful not to be in the cycle of failure. Yeah, some teams get lucky and rise from depths using high picks. But others just keep making the same mistakes and expecting different results. Nobody circles the problem like the Buffalo Bills.

But I digress.

In my eyes, this OLT problem could be solved simply by waiting on Jared Gaither being a free agent at the end of the 2010 season, and by evaluating his play, if it's good, sign him to a contract in March of 2011. In this way, the Bills keep a 2nd rounder with Gaither NOT costing them anything other than a free agent contract. Then the Bills can draft a franchise QB and a pass rusher and suddenly you have a team poised to contend, going forward!!

yeah except then you have to compete against other teams for his services- good luck with that

How about drafting one in the first or second round? Guys like Ed Wang make for nice stories, but they're not the type to depend on, especially as rookies. Few fans understand the cost but ultimate upside of having a top LOT. Sure, some smart aleck will chime in and say Team X went to the SB without a great LOT, but that's an absurd argument. No offensive coach would ever turn down a guy who can handle the other team's best pass-rusher singlehandedly. That gives the play-caller a lot more freedom. And if the team doesn't have a top LOT, they'll need to cover up to handle the pass rush with a TE or chip with the RB frequently.

Buffalo hasn't invested anything into their OT's in forever and it's little wonder that the position is a wasteland. Bell, Green, Meredith, Chambers, are what they are: not good enough. Wang may develop, but he's another project that some fans are dreaming about. He needs two years after having started at college as a TE. OT's are rarely found in the 2nd round or below.

How about drafting one in the first or second round? Guys like Ed Wang make for nice stories, but they're not the type to depend on, especially as rookies. Few fans understand the cost but ultimate upside of having a top LOT. Sure, some smart aleck will chime in and say Team X went to the SB without a great LOT, but that's an absurd argument. No offensive coach would ever turn down a guy who can handle the other team's best pass-rusher singlehandedly. That gives the play-caller a lot more freedom. And if the team doesn't have a top LOT, they'll need to cover up to handle the pass rush with a TE or chip with the RB frequently.

Buffalo hasn't invested anything into their OT's in forever and it's little wonder that the position is a wasteland. Bell, Green, Meredith, Chambers, are what they are: not good enough. Wang may develop, but he's another project that some fans are dreaming about. He needs two years after having started at college as a TE. OT's are rarely found in the 2nd round or below.

This was a weak class for LT's. Hell take a look at last year's (much better) LT class. What 1st or 2nd round LT could any of the teams depend on? The answer is, none of them.

Two problems.

First, the Ravens could easily franchise him and either keep him or try to trade him.

Second, if the Ravens let him go, there will be a bidding war for him. In that case, he will get more than Peters. As long as we don't mind paying, it might be a good idea, but we haven't shown the willingness to pay top two or three salaries since we signed Bruce Smith.