Shane Conlan

Shane Conlan was recently named All Time Great Bill #27. A little low I think for a stud run stuffer from our glory years.

I know Shane personally because we plyed high school ball against each other and his brother lives down the street from my parents in Jamestown, NY. We have bumbed into each other a bunch of times, he's a good guy and willing to tell stories and answer questions about the Bills. In a HS game he hit me so hard that I thought a piano had fallen on my head, he absolutely destroyed me. I got up and for a minute thought I was vacationing in Hawaii! Definately my first concussion. He hit another back so hard it made him cry and leave the game. The other players teased him for crying but I didn't, I didn't want to go back in either.

Shane still has a large house on lake Chautauqua, speaks at banquets and other community events and will have a few cold ones w/wings around town. I have never heard a bad thing said about Shane Conlan and don't want to, he's an outstanding family man and proud former Buffalo Bill.

One thing though, Shane has the Biggest Head I've ever seen, size of a large watermellon. He has shoulders that won't pass through a doorway and legs the size of a flamingo's. But the S.O.B could hit!

With all the B.S. negative spew on most boards I wanted to say something nice about one of our finest Bills ever.

Please add some similar stories about "Hammerhead", negative posters resist the urge to badmouth Shane.

Shane Conlan was recently named All Time Great Bill #27. A little low I think for a stud run stuffer from our glory years.

I know Shane personally because we plyed high school ball against each other and his brother lives down the street from my parents in Jamestown, NY. We have bumbed into each other a bunch of times, he's a good guy and willing to tell stories and answer questions about the Bills. In a HS game he hit me so hard that I thought a piano had fallen on my head, he absolutely destroyed me. I got up and for a minute thought I was vacationing in Hawaii! Definately my first concussion. He hit another back so hard it made him cry and leave the game. The other players teased him for crying but I didn't, I didn't want to go back in either.

Shane still has a large house on lake Chautauqua, speaks at banquets and other community events and will have a few cold ones w/wings around town. I have never heard a bad thing said about Shane Conlan and don't want to, he's an outstanding family man and proud former Buffalo Bill.

One thing though, Shane has the Biggest Head I've ever seen, size of a large watermellon. He has shoulders that won't pass through a doorway and legs the size of a flamingo's. But the S.O.B could hit!

With all the B.S. negative spew on most boards I wanted to say something nice about one of our finest Bills ever.

Please add some similar stories about "Hammerhead", negative posters resist the urge to badmouth Shane.

I know his brother Kevin who's a Jamestown Police officer. I don't see Shane much her in Jamestown for the most part. I don't have a bad word to say either.

I, too, have never heard a discouraging word about Conlan. He was a great Bill, the Number #8 pick overall, a HOMEBOY an instant starter! He AND Biscuit won Co-DROY in that stirke-shortend/scab season. Those skinny legs were always a risk, but he made up for them by leading with his head! I hated to see he & Wolford go in the 1st invasion of FA. Like so many Bills since, he was virtually never heard from again, when he was becoming a fixture in Hawaii here.

27th all-time eh? Without question he burned brightly here, but only for 6 seasons. Even then, those funny legs had him missing some playing time on occasion. Had he spent his career with his hometown team, I'd say he was the best Bill to wear #58. As it was, he'll have to share it with Mike Stratton.

I'm from Bemus Point, so I know the Conlan Clan as well. He was a great football player, and we'll leave it at that. :w00t:

Shane could cover ground and lay the wood on ball carriers. A lot of people here will remember his hit on Jets fullback Roger Vick.

Shane won the MVP award in the National Championship Fiesta Bowl when undefeated Penn State beat undefeated Miami.

He was a great football player.

Always liked the guy (interviewed him a few times) and can't say anything bad about the guy…although I'll keep trying to think of something negative to say...

I know his brother Kevin who's a Jamestown Police officer. I don't see Shane much her in Jamestown for the most part. I don't have a bad word to say either.

I grew up in Jamestown, played against Shane during 3 school scrimmages at Southwestern. Shane's brother Mike lives down the street from my parents over on Pershing Avenue. Since our school was alot bigger it was our JV team against their varsity. For a small school like Frewsburg they were pretty tough. A friend of mine Tom Sharp was Shane's coach in high school, I know they stay in touch.

I thought he sold that house on Chautauqua. Maybe he bought another one. Anyway, I used to fish off the point there.

As the story goes, he got the last scholarship Penn St. had to offer that year. Their staff recruiter came to watch him play a high school basketball game and offered him thereafter. I, for one, was shocked he chose football. I thought he was a better baseball player and would have been a super athletic catcher. He was scouted and had a baseball scholarship offer from Arizona, I believe.

One Monday nighter they played at KC and the Bills lost pretty bad as Derrick Thomas had a big night. Shane had a good game as he was constantly colliding with Christian Okoye in the hole. He was probably giving up 30+ lbs. to the "Nigerian Nightmare." I remember Frank Gifford saying that Shane had earned a long stay in the Jacuzzi that night. I couldn't help but think about that game when I saw him at a Frewsburg high school basketball game a few seasons ago. He wasn't moving too well and appeared much older than he is. Human bodies just aren't meant to play NFL football. There is a price to pay.

I stayed for a few hours after a Skins game in Washington D.C. and saw the Bills come out of the stadium and walk through a crowd of about 50 people to get to to the bus. They hung around outside for twenty minutes or so and a lot of them stopped to talk to the fans. I got several autographs, including Conlan's.

They were dressed in business suits mostly, and you are not lying about Conlan's shoulders. Huge, wide shoulders, abnormal even for a pro football player. I remember also, though, that his legs were not big at all. He had nose tackle shoulders and cross-country runner legs.

I also remember him in the first Dallas Super Bowl. Conlan was absolutely destroying Emmitt Smith play after play after play. They must have made some adjustments at halftime, because he was blocked in the second half, but I remember Emmitt looked for a while there like he just didn't want to go through the middle anymore. Conlan was just blasting him.

I was living in PA when Shane Conlon played for LBU. I remember watching Nittany Lion games occasionally. When I did tune in, his name was being called all the time by the announcers. The dude was in on so many plays. Him and Pete Giftopolous were my favorite players on that team. I remember thinking "I hope Conlon plays for the Bills someday"

When Penn State defeated the U (NCAA Evil Empire led by lucifer himself, aka helmet head), it was one of my best sports memories of that time in my life.

Never met SC, but i have heard only the goods.