Anyone know about antiques?

Just Jack

Sometimes there are even very very old.

Other times they are junk.

Other other times they are sold at a pawn shop in Los Vegas.

Pawn Stars

Client "It's worth 8000$"

Pawn Stars "Ill give you 50$"

Pawn Stars

Client "It's worth 8000$"

Pawn Stars "Ill give you 50$"

<_<

I like when they bring the expert.

"blah, blah, blah, at auction it would bring in $5000"

persons eyes go up

Pawn shop owner "I'll give you $1000"

I understand though, the pawn shop owner needs to make money, so to me $1000 in my hand is worth avoiding the trouble of waiting for an auction that might bring me more money.

I nearly qualify for antique status myself but I know nothing about them. I could be totally wrong but I find it hard to believe that a box spring would hold any value.

Watching some episodes of Antique Road Show, and seeing what some of what I consider junk is worth, I'd like to get an idea on value before I just toss it.

Got this old box spring like thing in my attic made by the Wire Web Bed company, and looks old. Just wondering before I move out if I should keep it and sell it or toss it.

Wouldn't a PM to Cincy have been a more efficient use of bandwidth for this?

Watching some episodes of Antique Road Show, and seeing what some of what I consider junk is worth, I'd like to get an idea on value before I just toss it.

Has anyone famous been !@#$ed on it? Tied to it? That could do wonders for the value.

Regarding Pawn Stars...I know a guy who's brother was in Vegas a couple weeks ago. He decided that he wanted to check the place out. There was a long line out the door with people waiting to get inside, a couple hour wait. When he finally got inside only Chumley was there and he wouldn't come out from behind his desk. You had 20 minutes inside before they brought in the next group.

Personally - pitch it.

Linky

From the link:

We are informed that nine hundred pounds of dead weight were placed on it for nearly five days, without injurious effects.

At least we know that Tbone was busy for 5 days doing what he does best.

<_<

I like when they bring the expert.

"blah, blah, blah, at auction it would bring in $5000"

persons eyes go up

Pawn shop owner "I'll give you $1000"

I understand though, the pawn shop owner needs to make money, so to me $1000 in my hand is worth avoiding the trouble of waiting for an auction that might bring me more money.

Actually, the expert usually says something like, "At auction I estimate that this could go in the $5000 range", then the pawn shop guy asks "How much do you want fo it?" and the owner almost always says "$5000".

I guess they don't quite understand how it works. The expert estimated $5000 - never any guarantee what you'll get at an auction. But before you can even auction it, you have to do the legwork to find the auction and then pay a big percentage of the sale price to the autioneer. On top of that the pawn shop owner has to turn a profit that makes it worth his while, so most of the times he's not going to do the deal for anything more than about 40%-50% of what the expert said it could be worth.

I think you have to pay the auction a percentage too. Not sure how much,but I think I've heard like 20%.