CJ Spiller to get about 12 carries per game

Apparently Clayton opined about this during his Inside the Huddle report yesterday…you have to scroll down, there's no permalink.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/...e-the-huddle-16

His quote: "TRENT EDWARDS BACKUP PLAN: C.J. Spiller showed amazing quickness last weekend at the Bills' rookie mini-camp, but coach Chan Gailey still has to determine how much to use him in a crowded backfield that also has Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Early thoughts are to get Spiller about a dozen carries a game, meaning his main role could be catching passes, particularly screens and check-down throws that play into Trent Edwards' strengths."

I became aware of the Clayton quote because of this: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...110&id=5566

And what Rotoworld took away from Clayton's quote: "According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Bills' current plan is to give C.J. Spiller around 12 carries per game. Fred Jackson will be so difficult to take off the field on early downs that this may even be an optimistic projection for the No. 9 overall pick. Spiller should wind up with 15-18 overall touches per week, including catches and return chances. He's just not going to be a workhorse in Buffalo."

And of course I became aware of the Rotoworld report because of the link on the best one-stop shopping site for NFL News…ProFootballTalk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-one-liners-63/

Anyways, there you have it. Informed speculation that Spiller will get about 15-18 touches per game. I'm okay with the Spiller pick and have been. But it's interesting to draft a player in the first round who will play a limited number of snaps per game.

Keep in mind that the average NFL game has about 65 offensive snaps per team. I'm guessing between offense and special teams, that Spiller will be on the field for about 30 of those plays.

I do not mean to "sheet disturb" but it is interesting to put Spiller's anticipated contributions in this context.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early thoughts are to get Spiller about a dozen carries a game,

These "thougths" are meaningless until we know more about who 'thunk em.

Was it Gailey whispering in Gazoo's ear, or just speculation on Clayton's part?

Apparently Clayton opined about this during his Inside the Huddle report yesterday…you have to scroll down, there's no

Anyways, there you have it.

Well, Clayton is entitled to his opinion. Fair enough.

If Spiller is moving the ball on the ground well, I'll run him 30+ times. If you pay for a horse, and it turns out to be a good one - ride it.

Awesome. So our 9th round pick, the third first round RB we've taken in the past six years, won't even get 50% of the snaps?

But he's fast. So it's okay.

He wasn't my choice at the spot either. But we have to see if he can become a pro player. No basis to judge the pick until he gets on the field. All we know so far, is that he seems a very decent young lad with a head screwed on straight.

If I were the coaches, and saw an inkling of his college performance on an NFL field, I'd be running him 30 or so times a game, to see if he's the real deal. A rb with a good set of wheels and shifty moves does help an OL...or a qb.

All we can do is to stay tuned and see what happens.

Spiller's too small to be an every down back. His body won't take the pounding. He'll be a tremendous assett 3rd down when we need to get between 4-8 yards. The closest players to him of recent vintage are Warrick Dunn and Reggie Bush.

Spiller's too small to be an every down back. His body won't take the pounding. He'll be a tremendous assett 3rd down when we need to get between 4-8 yards. The closest players to him of recent vintage are Warrick Dunn and Reggie Bush.

He's 5 foot 11, 195 pounds.

Everybody's wow-wee darling back, TEN's Chris Johnson checks in at 5'11", 200, and carried 358 times last season - and 609 over his two seasons in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chrisjohnson/profile?id=JOH127799

Thats right about what hes been getting in Madden. Were 9-5.....If only Brohm could throw the deep ball! Steve Johnson has really been stepping up lately. Troup is on his way to the pro-bowl, and Dwan Edwards is a great run-stuffer. Spiller is in the lead for offensive rookie of the year, great reciever, and out of the wild cat, already has 15 rushing TD's almost a thousand yards. 500 recieving. 1st place in AFC EAST. There has been some great offensive play calling. (All Madden Of Course). Evans has also stepped up his game a bit, hes more willing to run short routes. I think I might just cut James Hardly, the boy has hands of stone, no production...........if you want further updates just let me know!

I would be happy with him getting 15-18 touches a game. Sounds about right to me.

Same here. The thing about Spiller is...when he touches the ball, he has the ability to take it to the house, or put us in position to do something with the ball.

Thurman Thomas, at 5' 10" and 200lbs, had 207 rushes and 18 receptions in his rookie year, when he played 15 games in a crowded backfield that contained Ronnie Harmon and Robb Riddick.

That's 225 touches over 15 games: 15 touches per game. He ended up doing okay.

Yes, he was a 2nd round pick and not a #9 overall pick, but I don't really care.

12-15 carries a game is fine with me if say 1 or 2 of those are TDs that our other players might not have scored on the same play, changing say a FG to a TD or taking a kickoff return to the house. Or if he significantly changes field position and/or momentum in a game for us by popping off a big play at a critical moment.

And he's a rookie, while we already have 2 quality backs...nothing wrong with easing him in to the pro game. I guarantee you though, if he is proving to be the best back on the team by mid- or late-season, he'll be getting more carries. And even if he only gets 12-15 touches per game all year, if he becomes a Chris Johnson, or our new Thurman, or even just a real good back next year and beyond (no guarantee of course, but...) will you still be saying that he didn't get enough production in his rookie year to warrant the #9 pick?

I think it's ridiculous to predict production out of rookies. If the coaches planned, game one, to give him fifteen touches, say, and he lights it up with like a ten yard run his first touch, and maybe a fifteen yard catch, and then maybe a thirty yard run... there's no way they'd put another back in who is only getting three or four yards a carry. The good thing is - the backs will really be competing for bragging rights, and our options are all so good. Anyway, if Spiller proves he can, indeed, take it all the way at any time then how could they take him off the field, if he's healthy?