A Plea to Obama

Yo! We need emergency aid, B word! The Bills are a disaster!

Buffalo, N.Y. - President Obama has made a surprise stop for, what else, chicken wings! The President stopped at Duff's restaurant on Dick Road Thursday, just a short time after his plane, Air Force One, landed at the Buffalo Airport.

Yes indeed, some people will say just about anything to get a hug from Barack Obama. Those words were spoken by Luann Haley, 45, to the president, during his unannounced visit to this local landmark. He replied by giving her a big hug. ("He gave me a squeeze,'' she said afterward.) She swooned and he said Michelle would be watching on television. "That's allright,'' Ms. Haley said as the cameras rolled. "Hi Michelle, eat your heart out."

To backtrack, POTUS surprised many of what looked to be about 100 employees and guests when he strode into the restaurant, jacketless. He leaned over the counter; the receptionist Mary DiGiacomo, told him they had a lunch special but he demurred, saying he was in the car. He quietly placed an order. She tried to tell him it would be on the house. "No, I've got to pay,'' he insisted, pulling out his wallet, which sported a $5 bill on top.

Your pooler asked the obvious: what did he get? "Wings!'' the president declared. "This is the wing capital."

And so it is. A painted sign on the Duffs wall says: Duff's Famous Wings. Medium is HOT. Medium hot IS VERY HOT. Hot IS VERY VERY HOT.''

Mr. Obama ordered his medium, but was told halfway through his meet-and-greet that he needed to get them extra spicy. So he called out to the restaurant staff that he would have five regular, five extra spicey. They cost $10.82. Your pool did not see him pay.

Ms. Haley was part of a large crowd of Department of Education contractors, who work next door to the restaurant collecting money on federal student loans whose borrowers have defaulted. They saw the Secret Service and figured something was up, so arrived en masse at Duff's.

The President met briefly with family members of Flight 3407 crash victims. He's also making a speech at Industrial Support, Inc. on Buffalo's East Sid

Ive never in life heard of duffs and ive lived in buffalo my whole life...where is it????...why didnt he go to the anchor bar atleast even tho there wings arent that great but its well known?

You've never heard of Duff's? That's really almost unfathomable. The original location is by UB North at the corner of Sheridan and Millersport, but there's other locations in WNY now. Whenever someone famous comes to Buffalo, they go to Duff's (Conan comes to mind a few years back).

For what it's worth, I think they are overrated.

Ive never in life heard of duffs and ive lived in buffalo my whole life...where is it????...why didnt he go to the anchor bar atleast even tho there wings arent that great but its well known?

The original one is at Sheridan and Millersport. The one he went to is in Depew, and there's another down on Orchard Park Road.

And he apparently went there instead of the Anchor because he was more interested in good wings than "well-known" ones.

You've never heard of Duff's? That's really almost unfathomable. The original location is by UB North at the corner of Sheridan and Millersport, but there's other locations in WNY now. Whenever someone famous comes to Buffalo, they go to Duff's (Conan comes to mind a few years back).

Gabriel's Gate are the best IMO but it's pretty hard to get a bad wing in Buffalo. And I know this is going to turn into a political circle jerk but it still is very cool to have the President visit your town on an otherwise dreary Thursday.

Why is it the snooze? I've never really heard anyone complain about the Buffalo News. It's nothing extraordinary, but overall it's an ok paper, as good as you can expect in a city the size of Buffalo. Anyways, can you elaborate on your complaints with the News, I'd be curious.

It is a really, really good paper.

It makes you wonder how much tail a President could get if he was free to roam. But I highly doubt the country will ever elect a bachelor President. That is a scandal waiting to happen.

Didn't stop Bill Clinton :doh:

I didn't know they had a Duffs there. I had good money on Billy Ogden's getting the visit.

[/qu

If I'm not mistaken, Billy Ogdens has been closed since the tragic death of its owner.

Gabriel's Gate are the best IMO but it's pretty hard to get a bad wing in Buffalo. And I know this is going to turn into a political circle jerk but it still is very cool to have the President visit your town on an otherwise dreary Thursday.

It's hard to get bad wings in Buffalo - the bad places go out of business right away because there is so much good competition. It's the same in Philly with cheesesteaks, with pizza in NY, tacos/burritos in Houston, an po' boys in New Orleans.

I had Duff's once, and only once. I thought they sucked. Could've been a bad night for them, but I'll never go back.

IDK maybe if i seen the logo id recognize it but probably not. When they said duff's i thought "duff beer" like from the simpsons...LOL...