Cushing wins re-vote

but Pilate didn't offer his vote to sports writers. ...

and now that you're backpedaling, why not fully come clean that you were mistaken when making this big high-and-mighty proclamation that you and your daughter will never read an AP story again. will you do the same with the likes of Sports Illustrated, ESPN, CBS, Sporting News and Sirius, plus a number of other publications?

and why stop there: except for the voters who abstained, aren't they all tainted under your AP brush for having involved themselves in this process?

that, i think, is the position you have put yourself in, so keep digging, i'm sure you'll get out of this somewhere.

jw

Your organiztion decided to have a re-vote with Cushing on the ballot. I understand you can't critisize your employer, but your staunch opinion on this matter is really pathetic

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your organiztion decided to have a re-vote with Cushing on the ballot. I understand you can't critisize your employer, but your staunch opinion on this matter is really pathetic

like your suggestion i'm good at pumping something up ... well, you know what you wrote. nice.

jw

and, while you're at it, why not provide an answer to my post in regards to what publications you will or won't follow now. please, will you not follow those publications for the same reason you won't read the AP. and please, since integrity's on the line here, explain if you'll limit it to the AP.

Geez, everyone just get off of JW's case will you?? John and the AP weren't responsible for the outcome of the vote. How much clearer can this be? The sun and the moon must be aligned just right today because too many people seem to be in an arguementative mood. We and Byrd all know he deserved more votes than he got. He got stiffed and it sucks. What's more important for the Bills is that he makes an even bigger impact this coming season. Award or no award, we seem to have a really good player in him.

Go Bills!!

like your suggestion i'm good at pumping something up ... well, you know what you wrote. nice.

jw

and, while you're at it, why not provide an answer to my post in regards to what publications you will or won't follow now. please, will you not follow those publications for the same reason you won't read the AP. and please, since integrity's on the line here, explain if you'll limit it to the AP.

I will boycott reading several publications. I plan on writing ESPN about Berman's "yes" vote.

If the AP decides to change its view when it comes to cheating(if your caught cheating no awards) I will change my view of the publication.

Geez, everyone just get off of JW's case will you?? John and the AP weren't responsible for the outcome of the vote. How much clearer can this be? The sun and the moon must be aligned just right today because too many people seem to be in an arguementative mood. We and Byrd all know he deserved more votes than he got. He got stiffed and it sucks. What's more important for the Bills is that he makes an even bigger impact this coming season. Award or no award, we seem to have a really good player in him.

Go Bills!!

I would have voted for Orakpo! The problem is that they put a cheater on the ballot!

jw

Way to deflect.... Why not answer his question.

I for the record I as wrong it was AP writers... (I can admit I was wrong, Can you?)

it's an AP award and it was AP choice to put him back on the ballet. what kind of message is AP sending by giving it to someone that cheated, during the course of the year to get it????

AP is wrong; and anyone that defends giving this award to him is wrong.

I loved reading some of the reason why they still voted for the cheater though...thanks for the laugh.

Way to deflect.... Why not answer his question.

I for the record I as wrong it was AP writers... (I can admit I was wrong, Can you?)

it's an AP award and it was AP choice to put him back on the ballet. what kind of message is AP sending by giving it to someone that cheated, during the course of the year to get it????

AP is wrong; and anyone that defends giving this award to him is wrong.

I loved reading some of the reason why they still voted for the cheater though...thanks for the laugh.

You don't understand the concept that if the AP changes the ballot, or decides to take his name off the ballot, they are influencing the vote, and therefore putting themselves politically into the equation? But by simply keeping the same ballot they are remaining completely neutral and allowing the voters to vote their conscience? The way they are supposed to be?

jw

Hey JW, if you take Billsfan=pain seriously you'll just give yourself a headache, much like the kids poor ex-wife. Just a suggestion but it would be useful to sports fans if the sports media in many cases would not grand stand so much when it comes to positive tests. There are so many cases where I'll get sucked into some 2 or 3 page self-rightous opinion just to find ZERO information on what was taken, if it was a supplement that is laced (which is not uncommon), and if so show just a little bit of investigative reporting and explain the situation fully. It's ignorant that many sports writers are referring to what he took as a non-steroid. It is one of many illegally obtained products that a steroid user must take to attempt to restore normal testosterone levels in a heavy steroid user post cycle. It is an antagonist to most men's endocrine system and if dosed properly can in and of itself support an unnatural level of test. Juice heads are everywhere and magazines are brazen with this information, and you and your ilk by and large refuse to ever include the specifics of what was taken and educate adults and most importantly children on how they cheated, why it's cheating, and why no sane person should play God with their bodies with do it yourself chemistry kits made in some a*****e's basement. Just a thought. Every young person that attends college for athletics will be tempted and/or pressured into using. It's everywhere and chances are you are competing against someone who is using. It's an ugly truth that never seems to get confronted and young bodies and minds get ruined in the process.

You don't understand the concept that if the AP changes the ballot, or decides to take his name off the ballot, they are influencing the vote, and therefore putting themselves politically into the equation? But by simply keeping the same ballot they are remaining completely neutral and allowing the voters to vote their conscience? The way they are supposed to be?

Seems to be a good point.

jw

What if someone that plagiarised and won the pulitzer prize for journalism? Would you want them to be eligible for the award again? I really hope not because it would say it all right to cheat.

there, fixed it for you. i couldn't agree with you more.

jw

How Childish. Trues colors are coming out there John, I guess (I)we can't have and meaningful conversation with you because you obviously are out matched and have resorted to grade school tactics. But I after seeing how some of your fellow writers think I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

What if someone that plagiarised and won the pulitzer prize for journalism? Would you want them to be eligible for the award again? I really hope not because it would say it all right to cheat.

Apparently a bunch of the writers had a pretty principled reason for voting for Cushing. They voted against the re-vote, saying there should not have been one. They weren't voting for Cushing at all, they were voting against taking away the award post facto. In fact, that is why Bouchette changed his vote. He still thinks Byrd deserved the award, but he didnt think it was fair to take the award away from Cushing once he had won it. You may not agree with his reasons, but that is a pretty strong and perhaps admirable stance to take.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ot-for-cushing/

Apparently a bunch of the writers had a pretty principled reason for voting for Cushing. They voted against the re-vote, saying there should not have been one. They weren't voting for Cushing at all, they were voting against taking away the award post facto. In fact, that is why Bouchette changed his vote. He still thinks Byrd deserved the award, but he didnt think it was fair to take the award away from Cushing once he had won it. You may not agree with his reasons, but that is a pretty strong and perhaps admirable stance to take.

Why not abstain from the re-vote and send a clearer message?

Glad to see you posting Kelly. Good points in this thread.

The AP did the right thing in my opinion. They offered the sportswriters a chance to recast their vote. The sportswriters, whether rightly or wrongly, chose to select Cushing again. At the very least, they had a thought out reason for the way they voted. Now, whether it was well thought out, can be debated. I fail to see what the AP did wrong.

Boooooooooooooo! Go circle somebody else's wagons, Berman. :D

Chris Berman's vote thru me thru a loop for sure. I'de like to know his reasoning for his vote. I'm curious how he would state it.

Why not abstain from the re-vote and send a clearer message?

Another reason to blame the writers and not the AP. There really are a lot of sides to this story. My personal view is that he didn't deserve it if he was caught cheating in that year. I'm not sure Byrd deserved it either, even though he was extraordinary in pass defense for 3/4 of the season.