Gaither - How many wins is he worth?

How many wins is he worth?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins is he worth?

• 5+

If we end up trading for Gaither. He will immediately sure up a questionable line. The question is, how many wins do you think he is worth.

Consider the following - right now our OL weakness is LT, where we clearly are lacking. However getting Gaither, gives us 3 potential pro-bowlers on the line (Gaither, Wood and Levitre). Also, bringing in Gaither may result in Bell moving to RT, giving us at least a healthy competition for that position, which should improve the play there. Hangman is a smart player that is at least servicable until Wood moves to center. Throw in Wang, Calloway and Meredith - you have some young up in coming talent that you could properly develop.

Flip side - No Gaither - Bell is subpar at LT, with no competition at RT Green wins by default - who is average at best. Hangman - again servicable - but when your bookends are weak, the whole line looks worse making him a bigger liability. The young guys may get thrown in the fire and make tons of mistakes in on the job training.

We need Gaither - Buddy get it done!!!!

Getting a qualityt left tackle is the best way to improve the team's performance next year. The only thing that MIGHT have improved it more could have been getting McNabb, but I think the MAIN reason he would not have been interested in Buffalo was the p-poor offensive line. I think giving pass protection is the best way to insure whatever qb we have (and the pool is clearly not all that impressive) is to improve the offensive line. Letting Incognito go still boggles the mind.

...cuz Incognito sucks! He plays with no brain. I like lineman with "mean streaks", don't get me wrong, but Richie plays stupid and gets too many flags for me. Apparently he doesn't fit our new running scheme regardless.

Get Gaither...BUT...only if the price is right. Nothing more than a two next year. I think we should only give up a pick, or two I suppose. No players!!! :)

...cuz Incognito sucks! He plays with no brain. I like lineman with "mean streaks", don't get me wrong, but Richie plays stupid and gets too many flags for me. Apparently he doesn't fit our new running scheme regardless.

Get Gaither...BUT...only if the price is right. Nothing more than a two next year. I think we should only give up a pick, or two I suppose. No players!!! :)

For a proven starting left tackle? I would be willing to part with more than 2nd.

For a proven starting left tackle? I would be willing to part with more than 2nd.

totally agree!, a second , and name the DB, you want(except mcKelvin), and the deal is done. shoring up the O line seems to be the only area of need, assuming you get consistent play from the QB position.i thought the D was decent last year, on the field too much. Really, i like the D, as it is now constructed. i anticipate a very competitive team if you get the left tackle position settled. then, just line up , and lets go. lets see what we got!

Incognio did not suck for the bills by any means. And he'll probably start for Miami this year. And we have a starting gaurd coming off an injury. And we have very little depth at gaurd. Still doesn't compute.

With Ed Reed being banged up and their need at CB, maybe they would be interested in Whitner. He could fillin for Reed early in the year and add depth to the defensive backfield. They get what they need, we get what we need. it seems far.

Maybe some exchange of picks involved as well.

Our Defense will be solid. I don't think anyone questions that. With the players we now have we should be able to stop teams. Going into this year our team will have regained health - if Wood is able to return, and Bell - then, by health alone, we'll be better than where we were last year. We ran the ball pretty well last year despite the injuries- so, it's safe to assume that if things stay as they are now, with a better offensive minded coach, better conditioning, another star running back, that we will be a successful running team this year as is. Now, you add Gaither. All of a sudden - and health is assumed here - our O-line is actually strong. The running game is that much better. If we can give a QB time, with smart play calling, we could win some games - I think our team, especially on defense, is going to start out hot, young, talented - wanting to really make a name for themselves as a unit. We'll be competitive this year, especially if we can get one of the top two available LT's.

I'm surprised more people don't think of this, or at least talk about it, but wouldn't it be a great thing for our line if Calloway could prove to be a solid RG so we could kick Wood into center and get rid of Hangartner?

When a good personnel man like Ozzie Newsome is willing to get rid of a guy, WALK THE OTHER WAY or forever chase the ghost of Drew Bledsoe. Keep your 2nd and draft your guy next year. WALK...THE...OTHER...WAY...

I'm surprised more people don't think of this, or at least talk about it, but wouldn't it be a great thing for our line if Calloway could prove to be a solid RG so we could kick Wood into center and get rid of Hangartner?

This could be the ultimate end game with picking Calloway. Future line:

Wang - Levitre - Wood - Calloway - ?

Why?

He wasn't a problem this year so why try and get rid of him? Everyone thinks the only way to win is to have All-Pros at every spot on the line or else the team sucks.

As for the riginal question, lets look at the facts. With a Pro Bowler at LT (Peters) how many games did the Bills win? How many games did the Bills win without Peters and having a revolving door of cast offs maning the "Most important position" :D ?

I guess the answer is what, 1 win?

Another way to answer it is, How many games is Gaither going to show up and play 100% in?

Incognio did not suck for the bills by any means. And he'll probably start for Miami this year. And we have a starting gaurd coming off an injury. And we have very little depth at gaurd. Still doesn't compute.

He had a history of having issues with coaching/authority. Do you think that is the kind of guy a new head coach wants around when starting a rebuild with a new franchise?

Gaither - How many wins is he worth?

Right now, maybe none. But that's the wrong question.

There are two good questions. Number one, how many QB days lost to injury would Gaither save us? That's the first. And the second would be after we eliminate the many obvious weaknesses on this team in a year or two, how many potential losses would he save us?

LTs don't win games much. What they do is prevent losses by preventing sacks and freeing up the RB and TE to become offensive weapons rather than having to stay in and help a lousy LT. And maybe making room for a few first down runs with good blocking.

Why?

He wasn't a problem this year so why try and get rid of him? Everyone thinks the only way to win is to have All-Pros at every spot on the line or else the team sucks.

As for the riginal question, lets look at the facts. With a Pro Bowler at LT (Peters) how many games did the Bills win? How many games did the Bills win without Peters and having a revolving door of cast offs maning the "Most important position" :D ?

I guess the answer is what, 1 win?

Exactly right, he didn't win us many games at all. Teams simply attacked the obvious weak spots instead of Peters, like Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston. Same with any great position of strength. It doesn't win you games if you have a great QB and your recievers and RBs and OLs suck. They can defense you. A great RB with no passing attack? Nine in the box and he doesn't win you any games.

But when your roster becomes solid and there are no horribly obvious weak spots ... all of a sudden it's a different story.

And without Peters, might we have lost many more games? He sure didn't save us any games early in the 2008 season, but at other times he was on the field, there's no telling how many bad plays were avoided. That's the value of an LT. He doesn't grab the ball and wend his way down the field. He avoids disasters, and there's no telling how often LTs do it, because the disasters were avoided, weren't they?

well...how many wins did Jason Peters help us get in 2008?

And again, the 2008 Bills were crappy. Not to mention that Peters missed training camp and wasn't the same player for probably the first half of the season.

totally agree!, a second , and name the DB, you want(except mcKelvin), and the deal is done. shoring up the O line seems to be the only area of need, assuming you get consistent play from the QB position.i thought the D was decent last year, on the field too much. Really, i like the D, as it is now constructed. i anticipate a very competitive team if you get the left tackle position settled. then, just line up , and lets go. lets see what we got!

Competitive in 2012, maybe. Not next year, though.

And any DB except McKelvin? Are you kidding? Any DB except McKelvin, Byrd or McGee maybe.

And again, the 2008 Bills were crappy. Not to mention that Peters missed training camp and wasn't the same player for probably the first half of the season.

Peters sucked most of the season...not just the first half of the season...worst LT in the league...gave up 11.5 sacks including the one that lost the Jets game Dec 14th