Mike Williams all grown up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176911

Mike Williams calling out Albert Haynesworth to be a leader. A little too late for Bills fans but good for him...

Mike Williams lost nearly one hundred poinds from his maximum weight when he was out of football. Once he decided that he wanted to get back into the league he put in the effort to make it happen. Last year he and his wife moved in with the Dockery family (close Texas Univ friends) and diligently worked to get in shape at the Washington Redskins' facility. The Skins took a risk keeping him and shedding some other linemen. They were very happy with his work effort. They recognized the potential yet knew that it would take quite a while to get to the point where he could play.

Last year he was their starting RG. He got better as the season advanced. This offseason, he continued working hard and has entrenched himself in a starting position with the new Shanahan regime. Mike Williams is a classic example that unless one has the desire you are not going to succeed in the NFL, no matter how much talent you have. The only person who could motivate him is himself.

He has had his struggles but presently he seems to be on the right path. I'm very happy for him.

Mike Williams lost nearly one hundred poinds from his maximum weight when he was out of football. Once he decided that he wanted to get back into the league he put in the effort to make it happen. Last year he and his wife moved in with the Dockery family (close Texas Univ friends) and diligently worked to get in shape at the Washington Redskins' facility. The Skins took a risk keeping him and shedding some other linemen. They were very happy with his work effort. They recognized the potential yet knew that it would take quite a while to get to the point where he could play.

Last year he was their starting RG. He got better as the season advanced. This offseason, he continued working hard and has entrenched himself in a starting position with the new Shanahan regime. Mike Williams is a classic example that unless one has the desire you are not going to succeed in the NFL, no matter how much talent you have. The only person who could motivate him is himself.

He has had his struggles but presently he seems to be on the right path. I'm very happy for him.

Better late than never--I, too, bear him no real ill will. We all grow up eventually, some just do it faster than others, and it looks like our boy's growing up, just too bad he's doing it for someone else, after burning his bridges here.....

This is the problem when you give a player with a questionable heart big money, and it speaks volumes of the need for a rookie salary cap. In his calling out of Haynesworth, it takes one to know one.

Oh, and I'm not bitter about our wasted 4th overall. :sick:

while I congratulate him for completing the comeback, the fact that he can deliver this quote without any sense of irony is funny.

""Albert carries so much weight with him, there's a lot of young guys that look up to him," Williams told the Post. "But you got to be here. ... He's a grown man. With that comes responsibility. I think a lot of people say, 'Hey, you have a responsibility to this team.' There are a lot of other guys here that would like to be home. But obviously not, because there is a responsibility we have to this team." - Mike Williams

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176911

Mike Williams calling out Albert Haynesworth to be a leader. A little too late for Bills fans but good for him...

!@#$ him, he should never speak to the media out of shame for his outright theft of millions of dollars from the Bills.

If he hasn't apologized to the Bills for being a piece of ****, he should.

while I congratulate him for completing the comeback, the fact that he can deliver this quote without any sense of irony is funny.

""Albert carries so much weight with him, there's a lot of young guys that look up to him," Williams told the Post. "But you got to be here. ... He's a grown man. With that comes responsibility. I think a lot of people say, 'Hey, you have a responsibility to this team.' There are a lot of other guys here that would like to be home. But obviously not, because there is a responsibility we have to this team." - Mike Williams

Yes, you are right there is a degree of irony here. But Mike Williams made his comments after he worked his way back into shape and demonstrated his abilities on the field. If he would have spouted out critical comments prior to earning his way back onto the field then he would have little credibility. In my view he is showing some leadership and committment to the team.

There is more to this Albert Haynesworth story than many people outside of the Redskin area are aware of. The last couple of years he was constantly feuding with his position coaches. There were occasions when he was thrown off the practice field because he wouldn't do what he was told to do. He was uncoachable. There were more than a few times when he wouldn't practice because he was so-called nicked up, while other players were practicing with torn bi-cep tendons and other more serious injuries. Last year Haynesworth was GROSSLY out of shape. He couldn't play more than two plays at a time before needing to crawl to the sidelines to catch a blow.

The Haynesworth/team conflict sitution didn't start with the new Shanahan regime taking over. It started when AH first came to the team. The team stand against Haynesworth originated from the players on the roster getting tired with his Lone Ranger act.

Shanahan is a very strong person who is not going to allow a pig headed selfish player disrupt his team and infect the environment he is trying to establish. There is no duobt in my mind that Shanahan is going to establish his authority and AB will be gone one way or the other. Big Al doesn't care about Shanahan or the team. He has already pocketed $31 million.

Not only does Mike Williams have my respect for working his way back but he has my respect for not being afraid to exhibit some leadership on his team by calling out AB.

Good for him. He was asked to man up before he was ready. Can't fault him for that. Glad to see that he's become a leader and has taken his game and life to the next level.

Good luck to him. Perhpas someday J. Russell will have a turnaround and realize his amazing potential.

!@#$ him, he should never speak to the media out of shame for his outright theft of millions of dollars from the Bills.

If he hasn't apologized to the Bills for being a piece of ****, he should.

Ding, ding. F$%* him. I want my 4th overall pick back, thanks. And F*$^ Donahoe...he should have seen that Williams was immature and not picked him. He's paid to make the right decision, especially with #4 overall.

It's a shame he didn't come into the league with an attitude of a Joe Thomas or a Jake Long.

Good luck to him. Perhpas someday J. Russell will have a turnaround and realize his amazing potential.

That is like saying maybe one day Mike Vick will turn it around and finally realize his amazing potential.

Yeah, I can just envision the conversation between Williams and Dockery right now:

Dockery: "You know, we both became multi-millionaires at the expense of the Buffalo Bills and we didn't do **** for them. Isn't that funny?"

Williams: "Yeah, how 'bout that".

Everyone is saying either:

I forgive/respect Mike Williams.

I don't forgive/respect Mike Williams.

But this is what really needs to be said: When a player fails, it is quite often a failure of the team that drafted him, not the player himself. Mike Williams is a case in point.

Mike Williams has re-dedicated himself and has worked dilligently to become a decent guard. He's finally fulfilled his potential…he's a guard.

Tony Mandarich, shamed at being called one of the biggest busts ever, worked his ass off and salvaged his career and became a decent guard for Indianapolis.

Robert Gallery, after being mentioned as one of the all-time busts redoubled his efforts and has worked very hard to become a decent guard.

Unfortunately, all of these players were drafted to become franchise left tackles.

Their relative failures as players (after working very hard at their profession) means that the failure was not theirs. It was the failure of the team that drafted them. And this is where some injustice comes into play.

Too often when you see these players not live up to expectations, the player is roasted by the fans. The player takes the fall.

But in so many cases the blame lies not with the player but with the team which drafted him because they misjudged the player's potential.

But this is what really needs to be said: When a player fails, it is quite often a failure of the team that drafted him, not the player himself. Mike Williams is a case in point.

Mike Williams has re-dedicated himself and has worked dilligently to become a decent guard. He's finally fulfilled his potential…he's a guard.

Tony Mandarich, shamed at being called one of the biggest busts ever, worked his ass off and salvaged his career and became a decent guard for Indianapolis.

Robert Gallery, after being mentioned as one of the all-time busts redoubled his efforts and has worked very hard to become a decent guard.

Unfortunately, all of these players were drafted to become franchise left tackles.

Their relative failures as players (after working very hard at their profession) means that the failure was not theirs. It was the failure of the team that drafted them. And this is where some injustice comes into play.

Too often when you see these players not live up to expectations, the player is roasted by the fans. The player takes the fall.

But in so many cases the blame lies not with the player but with the team which drafted him because they misjudged the player's potential.

I see your points in bold above, and acknowledge the same points in my rip of Donahoe. But Mike Williams ate himself out of the league. He did not work hard at all in Buffalo and was known as a soft, but talented, player. So the failure to work hard was on Williams. He could have been a good G for Buffalo, but had no desire to do anything except eat. So, yeah, I rip Williams and have no respect for him. I wish Mr. Wilson still had his money back and we had our #4 overall back.

If Williams had worked hard in Buffalo and become a good G, I would have no problem with Williams. I'd say the front office messed up taking him #4 overall, but hey, thats not Williams fault, he worked hard and now we have a good, although slightly overpaid G. Fine. But he sh*t up his chance in Buffalo. I have no respect for him for that.

I see your points in bold above, and acknowledge the same points in my rip of Donahoe. But Mike Williams ate himself out of the league. He did not work hard at all in Buffalo and was known as a soft, but talented, player. So the failure to work hard was on Williams. He could have been a good G for Buffalo, but had no desire to do anything except eat. So, yeah, I rip Williams and have no respect for him. I wish Mr. Wilson still had his money back and we had our #4 overall back.

If Williams had worked hard in Buffalo and become a good G, I would have no problem with Williams. I'd say the front office messed up taking him #4 overall, but hey, thats not Williams fault, he worked hard and now we have a good, although slightly overpaid G. Fine. But he sh*t up his chance in Buffalo. I have no respect for him for that.

Good points.

I'm not a big Mike Williams fan either.

And actually after I posted I mused about the post and realized that it's not so much the Mike Williams' of the world who I feel are unjustly maligned.

The players I feel for are guys like Donte Whitner and Paul Poszluzny who I know are very hard-working and conscientious players…but for whatever reason have not fulfilled the expectations of fans…through no fault of their own.

Depsite their great attitude and professionalism, Whitner and Poz have been roasted by many fans, IMO, unfairly.

Anyways, good post bills_fan.

Yeah, I can just envision the conversation between Williams and Dockery right now:

Dockery: "You know, we both became multi-millionaires at the expense of the Buffalo Bills and we didn't do **** for them. Isn't that funny?"

Williams: "Yeah, how 'bout that".

That was the best you could do?

Hopefully Green Bay realizes this with Bulaga....a NFL GUARD.

That is like saying maybe one day Mike Vick will turn it around and finally realize his amazing potential.

He did realize his potential, he was an amazing running QB with poor accuracy and game management skills, the end.

Hopefully Green Bay realizes this with Bulaga....a NFL GUARD.

Green Bay's front office is one of the best at drafting and getting value. Bulaga was taken with the 23rd pick. Whether he plays guard, RT or LT or utility lineman he is going to be a good player for them. Last year they drafted Mathews with a low first round pick. He was one of the better defensive rookies in the league. Needless to say much better than Maybin who was drafted much earlier by the Bills. A few years back they took Rogers in the lower first round. He is now one of the best qbs in the league.

Bulaga was not a good pick for the Bills at the nine spot. Where Green Bay got him he was an exceptional value. Both Green Bay and Baltimore are two of the better franchises in making good value picks. Prior to this Nix draft the Bills were hideously bad at drafting. The issue for them wasn't always who they drafted but where they drafted the players. Hopefully, that problem has been corrected.