Mike Williams all grown up

Mike Williams lost nearly one hundred poinds from his maximum weight when he was out of football. Once he decided that he wanted to get back into the league he put in the effort to make it happen. Last year he and his wife moved in with the Dockery family (close Texas Univ friends) and diligently worked to get in shape at the Washington Redskins' facility. The Skins took a risk keeping him and shedding some other linemen. They were very happy with his work effort. They recognized the potential yet knew that it would take quite a while to get to the point where he could play.

Last year he was their starting RG. He got better as the season advanced. This offseason, he continued working hard and has entrenched himself in a starting position with the new Shanahan regime. Mike Williams is a classic example that unless one has the desire you are not going to succeed in the NFL, no matter how much talent you have. The only person who could motivate him is himself.

He has had his struggles but presently he seems to be on the right path. I'm very happy for him.

I'm not happy for him after a $10.5m signing bonus and about $28M for his four productive years in Buffalo. Has America become fat and lazy, or is it just our overpaid entertainers?

I'm not happy for him after a $10.5m signing bonus and about $28M for his four productive years in Buffalo. Has America become fat and lazy, or is it just our overpaid entertainers?

He failed with the Bills. He failed with Jacksonville, He was out of football for a while. With a change in attitude and dedication to his preparation he worked his way up and found a team which was willing to give him a chance. So far, he has repaid their faith in him with quality effort and play. What more do you want?

I believe in redemption and second chances and more. He seized the opportunity and made good. Better late than never. I'm not going to criticize someone for not giving up on himself. I salute him.

The only person who could motivate him is himself.

This is the risk with high draft choices and big free agent contracts. Once people get big money it is up to them to decide if they want to continue playing at a very high level or if they are going to ride out their fat paychecks.

This is the risk with high draft choices and big free agent contracts. Once people get big money it is up to them to decide if they want to continue playing at a very high level or if they are going to ride out their fat paychecks.

The Bills as an organization, as do the other teams, make judgments on players and contracts. There are certain players who play at an optimum level no matter what the size of the contract is. And to the contrary, there are certain players who get comfortable with their fat contracts and end up coasting along. Albert Haynesworth is a classic example of the lunacy of the present system. He has received $31 million up front and doesn't give a dam.

The primary reason I am against acquring Gaither in a trade is not that he isn't a good player. He has a history of being lazy. Is he they type of player you would give an upper tier LT contract to? I say no.

When drafting players you are not only judging talent but you are also judging character. The same process follows when awarding contracts. One way to address this salary issue is to have a more reasonable rookie salary structure. Another possible solution to giving out excessive contracts which stifle motivation might be to give shorter contracts. So if a personnel judgment misfires then in a relatively short period of time the contract will expire sooner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176911

Mike Williams calling out Albert Haynesworth to be a leader. A little too late for Bills fans but good for him...

Shanahan will cut his fat ass before the start of next season! Gibbs (Oline coach) like his lineman to be smaller and quicker, which is everything "fat ass" Mike Williams is not!