OT-Who is the best American actress?

ATBNG

My friends and I were talking about this while on vacation last weekend in Montreal. We had a somewhat animated discussion about who the best actor was currently (Ed Norton, Tim Robbins, Robert DeNiro, Bill Murray all were considered) but sadly we couldn't even come up with a plausible woman to be called America's best actress.

Does anyone have any nominations? She doesn't have to be American, but should appear in American movies. Where have all the Rita Hayworths, Katherine Hepburns, and Meryl Streeps gone?

(If you can spare yourself from the obvious Jenna Jameson, etc. posts on this one, I would appreciate it.)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends and I were talking about this while on vacation last weekend in Montreal. We had a somewhat animated discussion about who the best actor was currently (Ed Norton, Tim Robbins, Robert DeNiro, Bill Murray all were considered) but sadly we couldn't even come up with a plausible woman to be called America's best actress.

Does anyone have any nominations? She doesn't have to be American, but should appear in American movies. Where have all the Rita Hayworths, Katherine Hepburns, and Meryl Streeps gone?

(If you can spare yourself from the obvious Jenna Jameson, etc. posts on this one, I would appreciate it.)

139428[/snapback]

I've always thought Holly Hunter was consistently very good in anything she did. The problem with American movies in this day and age is that none of them require acting.

I've always thought Holly Hunter was consistently very good in anything she did. The problem with American movies in this day and age is that none of them require acting.

139436[/snapback]

How about Halle Berry? She had to act like she was turned on by BillyBob. :lol:

How about Halle Berry?  She had to act like she was turned on by BillyBob. :lol:

139447[/snapback]

have you forgotten her performance as the worst Bond girl in history? (yes, even worse than denise richards because of that "your momma" line)

then she followed it up with gothika and catwoman...not sure if she did anything else after that

touted as being bond's equal somehow, she has to be rescued by him twice

if you ask me, the only bond equal chick to star in the films was the asskicking michelle yeoh

I don't know if this entirely answers your question, but the best performance by an actress, bar none, was by Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice.

If you have not seen it, it is amazing.

139441[/snapback]

A great performance, to be sure. She did an excellent job with the accent.

That said, I can think of a few female performances in movies that rank right up there:

Hilary Swank in Big Boys Don't Cry

Faye Dunaway in Network

Piper Laurie in The Hustler

Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity

...for starters. A sentimental favorite of mine is Goldie Hawn's performance in a movie called "Butterflies Are Free". Good stuff.

Right now, I'd say Holly Hunter.

All time. Katherine Hepburn.

139449[/snapback]

First time I've agreed with you on anything.

Raising Arizona and the Tom Cruise legal film..

O Brother Where Art Thou. Cohen brothers love her.

Come to think of it Frances McDormand in Fargo is my favorite female

character ever.

139436[/snapback]

She was great in the Incredibles. How did she strectch those arms and legs like that?