OT-Who is the best American actress?

ATBNG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this entirely answers your question, but the best performance by an actress, bar none, was by Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice.

If you have not seen it, it is amazing.

139441[/snapback]

I think Meryl Streep is fantastic, but she's not really current. She was in "Angels in America" (and typically excellent) but I can't remember her being in a Hollywood movie since "The River Wild." She was clearly the choice during the Eighties, with some solid competition from Jodie Foster. I hope she returns to acting more frequently now that she may have more time available.

I think that Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johansson each have an extraordinary performance to their credit, but more is clearly needed.

I think of Holly Hunter and Kathy Bates as good character actresses, but they're eons away from icon status.

I thought she retired from acting a long time ago, after she had a stroke or something like that.  I do remember her performance in Hud, which is a very good movie.

139570[/snapback]

Yes, you are right. Long retired.

Here's a site you might enjoy. My wife and me seem to kill off notable people all the time - it tells you if they are dead or if they are alive.

http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/dead.nsf/pages-nf/main

I agree that when she's active Meryl Streep is at the top. I also agree that Julia Roberts deserves consideration. One who has not been mentioned is Sigourney Weaver. She's done comedy (Ghost Busters), sci-fi/horror (Alien) and serious drama (Gorillas in the Mist).