Bills "Nixed" Seattle Offer

I heard today from a former NFL quarterback that the Seahawks wanted to trade for Marshawn Lynch and our 1st round draft pick but Bills "Nixed" it. Not sure what they offerred, but the way to "Build through the draft" is to stockpile picks.

IMO, if the Bills had kept trading down we could have had Claussen, Cody or Williams at NT, as well as a LT instead of Spiller and Troup.

I think that most people would have graded that draft an A versus the C that most gave the Bills.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we would have had an overwieght and unmotivated NT, a prima donna QB who is rumored to already pissed his teammates off, and just 1 30 year old RB instead of the best offensive player in the draft, one of the best RB corps in the league (if not the best) and the perfect NT for our system...

ROFLMAO on how that takes us to an "A" instead of a "C"

I heard today from a former NFL quarterback that the Seahawks wanted to trade for Marshawn Lynch and our 1st round draft pick but Bills "Nixed" it. Not sure what they offerred, but the way to "Build through the draft" is to stockpile picks.

IMO, if the Bills had kept trading down we could have had Claussen, Cody or Williams at NT, as well as a LT instead of Spiller and Troup.

I think that most people would have graded that draft an A versus the C that most gave the Bills.

but we got an LT anyway, and a good NT prospect (one thats in shape and wont be coming out every other play), and the most explosive player in the draft, so...... I think we made out good regardless

You can trade down into oblivion son, think of Spiller as a "playmaker" not a running back. Obviously the brass did not want Clausen at any price. What is more important to you, an atta boy from the talking heads or a sure fire difference maker this year? CJ is about as close to a fool-proof year one contributor as any prospect in the draft. How much of a difference maker is Bradford going to be this year? Dez Bryant? You say you want LT II type of guy in his prime lining up for you this year on your beloved Buffalo Bills? Bingo. Done.

They most likely offered to give their 1st round (6th overall) pick. That would have made Lynch worth a high 3rd rounder, points-wise. The Bills could then have drafted Okung.

but we got an LT anyway, and a good NT prospect (one thats in shape and wont be coming out every other play), and the most explosive player in the draft, so...... I think we made out good regardless

The NT was rated lower, but seems to have some promise as all rookies do. OTOH, the LT is a project player a few years removed from playing TE. He is a project player despite all the puff pieces written on the bills website. If we rely on these project types to man the blindside it's madness repeated.

Buffalo conducts their rebuilds in direct contrast to what successful rebuilders like Parcells do: draft lineman, then focus on the non-dull players that Ralph craves. Miami completed their rebuild, while Buffalo will be doing this for the next two years beyond 2010.

Key phrase in your post: IMO

The Seattle deal was probably for their #6 (just guessing).

You say the Bills could have had Cody. Obviously, they preferred Troup.

They could have had Clausen. Again, not interested. Two chances.

The pundits would have graded that draft an A. Would that warm your heart? Mel's opinion doesn't mean jack. Or any of those talking heads. Even a "former NFL quarterback".

I love "sources" like that. The Seattle got Lendale White (who played for Carroll and has no legal troubles) by moving down 9 spots in the 5th round. Do you really think they were going to give up any substantial for a rb with Lynch's troubles? A 4ht rounder might have been the best you can hope for and for that price, I'd rather keep Lynch and hope a new contract motivates him.

I love "sources" like that. The Seattle got Lendale White (who played for Carroll and has no legal troubles) by moving down 9 spots in the 5th round. Do you really think they were going to give up any substantial for a rb with Lynch's troubles? A 4ht rounder might have been the best you can hope for and for that price, I'd rather keep Lynch and hope a new contract motivates him.

Might want to double check those facts.

And feeling better about what the "experts" say is a reason to do things? I could care less if said "experts" gave us an F. We started to build the foundation of the team for once, picking quality, hard working players who love the game of football. Mel Kiper's opinion doesn't put "W's" up.....youtube the Jemarcus Russel pick...I thought Kiper was gonna cream his pants he was so high on him...how'd that work out?

It was a solid draft...well played Buddy, well played.

Building through the draft does not necessarily mean stockpiling picks. It means hitting on the picks you have. If Buddy didn't like the deal, then so be it. I like the players we got.

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't understand the infatuation with Clausen. I never found him that impressive. He was passed over twice by us, that tells you the front office's opinion of him.

Personally, I don't put much stock in these draft grades. You look back 3 years from now and then we'll see if these teams with "high" grades panned out.

It is probably true that our draft would have been more highly regarded. But as has been proven in the past, that means jack ****.

So, we would have had an overwieght and unmotivated NT, a prima donna QB who is rumored to already pissed his teammates off, and just 1 30 year old RB instead of the best offensive player in the draft, one of the best RB corps in the league (if not the best) and the perfect NT for our system...

ROFLMAO on how that takes us to an "A" instead of a "C"

thank you for saving me the time explaining all of the above

You are right on but you forgot the best part! , I heard they were throwing their top 5 cheerleaders into the deal , for the fattest butt jills we have.. ... you're in la la land, got any other good ones?

To be clear, the Bills flat out just did not want Clausen on the team. I don't think they would have used a 3rd on him even.

Perhaps they felt the same about Cody or Williams? You never know.

We passed on him twice, right? He was not in the plan in my estimation.

you just dont get it man. they wanted a star an immediate impact player @ 9 and they were not going to trade down to get just good players and not come away with a star,which they got. so they could have picked up an additional third rounder big freaking deal!

it was pretty evident by the way the bills ran up to the podium in about 30 seconds.