Raiders release Russell

Quick, Buddy! Sign him up! Git'r dun! He's a former #1 pick! He's better than what we have! Don't we care about winning?? I'm done with this team!

:lol:

But seriously, I thought Al Davis had a huge mancrush on JR? Enough to fire his head coach over.

PTR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand why the players are so enamored of the current draft system. Every dollar that pays a rookie doesn't pay a veteran, and the players union is composed entirely of players who have already been drafted.

I don't really understand why the players are so enamored of the current draft system. Every dollar that pays a rookie doesn't pay a veteran, and the players union is composed entirely of players who have already been drafted.

The players don't love the system, but know that owners hate it more, so they use it as a bargaining chip in the CBA negotiations. The players do get a side benefit from the draft salaries, since the high rookie scale plays well into veteran free agent demands.

Disagree. While I assume JaMarcus would not work hard here like he didn't in Oakland, Trent is so bad that it's still worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen? We cut Russell and end up with Brohm / Fitz / Brown at QB? That's going to happen anyway - why not just cut Trent now and see if Russell can turn over a new leaf? In short, I'd rather have Russell in the 4-QB battle than Trent Edwards.

It is a bad idea to bring in JaMarcus Russell. He is the qb version of Mike Williams (former Bill). The Bills would be using a roster spot on him and paying him nearly a mil/year to sit on the bench eating Buffalo wings.

For those that want JR here, might as well lobby for all former 1st round busts to take up our roster spots. We can bring back Mike Williams, Lawrence Phillips, Tony Mandarich, and Desmond Howard.

I'll take Edwards or Fitzgerald over Russell. They may not be as physically gifted, but they have heart and will put in an effort.

Disagree. While I assume JaMarcus would not work hard here like he didn't in Oakland, Trent is so bad that it's still worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen? We cut Russell and end up with Brohm / Fitz / Brown at QB? That's going to happen anyway - why not just cut Trent now and see if Russell can turn over a new leaf? In short, I'd rather have Russell in the 4-QB battle than Trent Edwards.

A new Leaf is exactly what you would get. The Oakland situation is tough but this guy has shown no interest in getting better even when the writing was on the wall. Someone will bring him in, there is always someone.

Quick, Buddy! Sign him up! Git'r dun! He's a former #1 pick! He's better than what we have! Don't we care about winning?? I'm done with this team!

:worthy:

But seriously, I thought Al Davis had a huge mancrush on JR? Enough to fire his head coach over.

PTR

I guess Lane Kiffin was right after all. He never wanted Russell.

It is a bad idea to bring in JaMarcus Russell. He is the qb version of Mike Williams (former Bill). The Bills would be using a roster spot on him and paying him nearly a mil/year to sit on the bench eating Buffalo wings.

For those that want JR here, might as well lobby for all former 1st round busts to take up our roster spots. We can bring back Mike Williams, Lawrence Phillips, Tony Mandarich, and Desmond Howard.

I'll take Edwards or Fitzgerald over Russell. They may not be as physically gifted, but they have heart and will put in an effort.

Ok, I am with you on Russell. But the point of my post is that, as bad as he is, he is better than Edwards. -5 > -10, know what I mean?

I mean - Edwards has heart? Edwards has heart? Did you really type that?

Think about it. Fitzpatrick (I assume you meant him, not Fitzgerald) has heart, that's for sure. But Edwards? NO. No heart, no balls, nothing there.

I think the players should get to keep the same siz slice of the pie. I'd rather see these huge sums paid to rookies shifted to increase the salaries of proven players.

The Rams are about to pay Sam Bradford around $70 million and he barely played last year, is coming off of major shoulder surgery to his throwing arm and has yet to play a down on pro ball. That's ridiculous. It's mind-boggling and absolutely asinine.

And I think it's bad for football because if a team misses on a top-5 pick, it sets that franchise back financially several years, then they can't compete because they have money tied up in a bust and wind up having to draft high over and over. It's unfair and bad for the game of football.

Russell is the epitome of a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. The guy just doesn't have the work ethic to succede in the NFL. The one thing the guy has on his side is age. He is only 25 years old and some team will take a chance on him as a 3rd string project QB. Its honestly up to him if he wants to try and salvage his career or just take the 39 million he has already made and call it a life.

Jamarcus russell is the latest, and largest reason to have a rookie salary cap, that bum got 30 mil to do jack squat in oakland, its not right. Hopefully this new CBA addresses the problem.

I think that's going to be the major sticking point. The vetrans want the cap, the owners certainly do. But the agents will not, and they do have some influence. Ultimately I think they get it done because all sides will realize that a strike can and will threaten the NFL's dominance in the sports landscape.

I think that's going to be the major sticking point. The vetrans want the cap, the owners certainly do. But the agents will not, and they do have some influence. Ultimately I think they get it done because all sides will realize that a strike can and will threaten the NFL's dominance in the sports landscape.

hopefully this will increase the # of underclassmen that stay in school to finish their degree also.

Pricks like him are why we won't be watching real NFL next year. Oh yea, plus pricks like Al Davis who hand them the money.

He's a prick because Oakland drafted him #1 and paid him a ton of money? Shoudl he have turned them down or something? :worthy:

JM is laughing all the way to the bank. More money than he can count and he didn't trash his body (other than eating) to get it. Quite frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more.

If Chubsy has played his cards right and invested well... hell, retire and go to gym everyday and lose some weight.

Ok, I am with you on Russell. But the point of my post is that, as bad as he is, he is better than Edwards. -5 > -10, know what I mean?

I mean - Edwards has heart? Edwards has heart? Did you really type that?

Think about it. Fitzpatrick (I assume you meant him, not Fitzgerald) has heart, that's for sure. But Edwards? NO. No heart, no balls, nothing there.

I couldnt agree more. Russell is likely a supreme bust. Leaf got another chance (with Dallas I believe) and it didnt work out. Id be fine being the Dallas in the situation. Minimum money, minimum risk, no sweat. Oddly enough they ended up getting their guy outta nowhere (Tony Romo)...is our Romo Brian Brohm? Itd be all too fitting wouldnt it haha.

Point is, the "no heart" thing i intensely agree on.

Why Trent Edwards has a job is beyond me. To specifically say what Im feeling Ill say "Even JaMarcus Russell got cut! And hes better!"

Russell is currently awful (and likely will always be). Trent Edwards is no question worse (i like your -5 to -10 thing I totally agree).

People need to take up a new sport like pro cricket or bowling if they thing Trent Edwards belongs anywhere near a feild or is better than (who I admit is TERRIBLE) JaMarcus Russell.

PTR

He did, but the guy he fired wasn't insane and wouldn't try to break his face like the guy he currently has now. I would be very afraid to try and tell Cable that things aren't working out and he was being let go...................