Students sent home from school for wearing

t-shirts with American Flags!! It was Cinco de Mayo after all. How insensitive. Just unbelievable. That school district should be ashamed. I especially love this quote

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth

Go ahead and wear whatever the heck you want on the 4th of July, I promise it won't offend me. Hard not to feel our country is sinking fast with nonsense like this going on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179/ns/lo...co_bay_area_ca/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting....

Bah humbug, say Mexicans about Cinco de Mayo

Apparently for comparison, it would be be like Canada celebrating August 6th, while for Americans it's just another day.

I think a better analogy would be Canada celebrating the Massachusetts holiday, Patriots Day, which commemorates the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in Mexico, but predominately in the state of Puebla.

schools are very paranoid these days. mostly the fault of hyper sensitive parents who sue over everything. remember the flak over that school in NJ last year because the kids sang a song about the presidents, on presidents day, and there was a line about Obama? At OSU I had to have students sign a waiver at the beginning of my film class saying they have no problem with watching R rated films. Parents lose their minds over the stupidest things.

The article mentions that they were wearing bandanas. If that was just a one day thing for those kids, I'd say their intent is pretty obvious. Really though, I'm convinced that MSNBC accidentally picked up a story from the Onion.

I say 'check the papers' on the kids protesting the T-shirts. If they or their parents aren't supposed to be here, throw 'em in the hoosegow.

Wish 'em a happy Cinco DeMayo as the officer slams the barred door shut!

The article mentions that they were wearing bandanas. If that was just a one day thing for those kids, I'd say their intent is pretty obvious. Really though, I'm convinced that MSNBC accidentally picked up a story from the Onion.

The intent is pretty obvious. We all went to high school, how many times did kids show up wearing American Flag shirts? It was clearly some misguided protest about something they don't fully understand.

Though being sent home is pretty harsh. I mean who actually celebrates Cinco de Mayo? Drunk frat boys?

The intent is pretty obvious. We all went to high school, how many times did kids show up wearing American Flag shirts? It was clearly some misguided protest about something they don't fully understand.

Though being sent home is pretty harsh. I mean who actually celebrates Cinco de Mayo? Drunk frat boys?

If it was the shirt pictured in the article, I could see plenty of kids wearing something like that. Asking them to take of the bandanas though is completely fair. Those aren't exactly necessary school attire. Whether or not being sent home is harsh depends on how those kids reacted when they were told to take the stuff off. I'm guessing the decision had a lot more to do with how they responded as opposed to the shirts themselves.

If it was the shirt pictured in the article, I could see plenty of kids wearing something like that. Asking them to take of the bandanas though is completely fair. Those aren't exactly necessary school attire. Whether or not being sent home is harsh depends on how those kids reacted when they were told to take the stuff off. I'm guessing the decision had a lot more to do with how they responded as opposed to the shirts themselves.

How is it fair? The students say they were told they could wear the t's and bandanas any other day. So how does "necessary school attire" become the deciding factor? They were told it was offensive simply because it had the American flag on it, which is offensive in and of itself. Seriously, if you saw a hispanic person on the 4th of July with a bandana on that had a picture of Mexico's flag, you would find that offensive? This is a ridiculous story and their intent with wearing the shirts is irrelevent. The American flag (or a picture of one), displayed or worn properly, should never be considered offensive in America, ever.

school is retarded for sending the kids home.

those kids wearing the flagged shirts are dumb too. they knew what they were getting into when they chose that shirt on that day. i say they're dumb not because they are patriotic. thats ok! so dont attack me. they are dumb cause they knew some kids were going to get on their case. unless they like debates and/or like to attract attention, they should have just waited one day.

the kid quoting disrespect is dumb too. let anyone wear anything they choose. getting offended for that is ridiculous. this is america. this kid should be having sex instead of worrying about what other people's shirts look like. o wait, maybe this is not good advice.

Seems to me the school was just trying to avoid a confrontational situation. The fact that these kids were also wearing flag bandanas tells me they were trying to stir up some trouble. They're probly the kind of dudes that resent seeing all the Mexican flags and thought they would wear their flag stuff and hope some crap started. I think the school acted correctly.

How is it fair? The students say they were told they could wear the t's and bandanas any other day. So how does "necessary school attire" become the deciding factor? They were told it was offensive simply because it had the American flag on it, which is offensive in and of itself. Seriously, if you saw a hispanic person on the 4th of July with a bandana on that had a picture of Mexico's flag, you would find that offensive? This is a ridiculous story and their intent with wearing the shirts is irrelevent. The American flag (or a picture of one), displayed or worn properly, should never be considered offensive in America, ever.

this is a very good point. why do some get offended for the silliest things...

Seems to me the school was just trying to avoid a confrontational situation. The fact that these kids were also wearing flag bandanas tells me they were trying to stir up some trouble. They're probly the kind of dudes that resent seeing all the Mexican flags and thought they would wear their flag stuff and hope some crap started. I think the school acted correctly.

dumb kids stirring trouble instead of worrying about their grades or other positive activities.

So you have no problem with the school sending kids home for wearing the American flag on their shirts while allowing other students to wear the Mexican flag on their shirts and faces? You do realize this was a school located in America right? Why do some immigrants feel absolutely no need to assimilate and accept American culture? And when did "freedom from being offended" become a right?

They were definitely being defiant, and open to criticism amongst their peers, but to have the school send them home, is misguided at best.