Conan's 60 Minute Interview - Translated with Subtitles

Peter

I may be in the minority but Conan has some balls for crying about Leno since this whole crapstorm started when he gave NBC an ultimatum: "Give me the Tonight show or I walk." Why did they give Leno back his show? Because he was #1 when he left and you weren't, Conan. Cold brutal reality. Get over it and start working on your TBS show...where you pushed George Lopez out of his time slot. Ironic.

PTR

I may be in the minority but Conan has some balls for crying about Leno since this whole crapstorm started when he gave NBC an ultimatum: "Give me the Tonight show or I walk." Why did they give Leno back his show? Because he was #1 when he left and you weren't, Conan. Cold brutal reality. Get over it and start working on your TBS show...where you pushed George Lopez out of his time slot. Ironic.

PTR

Conan pushing Lopez out of talk tv is like Dan Marino pushing JP Losman out of a QB job

PTR

That and the fact that he manned up and TALKED to Lopez and asked for his consent to take his time slot. But hey, if you like bland, safe, harmless humor, then Jay Leno is your man. Me, I'd rather watch paint dry that listen to his grating voice kiss his guests' arses for 60 minutes.

PTR

The fact is Conan did what he thought was right. NBC was giving him a raw deal (Jay Leno show gave him a weaker lead in plus too new host always needs time to adjust) for many well discussed reasons. Leno got what he wanted he got his show and time slot back. Conan got to walk out the publics darling and with a ton of cash.

By all accounts Conan is a great guy to work for he treats his crew with respect and even gave them part of his severance deal to compensate for the fact that they had to move to LA and went out of work 8 months later. Leno is by all accounts a calculating dick. So for Conan he stood his ground and NBC pushed him out it happens.

NBC screwed Conan's transition to the show and quickly took it off before it had enough time to be quantified as a real failure. NBC is the real looser in this situation their public image is tarnished and one of their golden franchises is soiled a bit as well.

All in all Conan shouldn't wine about Leno he should wine about NBC. Yeah Leno played his part but Leno wouldn't have been the dick unless NBC let him and wanted him to. Conan I will watch you on TBS and I will never take you for granted again. :doh:

PTR

Conan's contract was up. He had a few options. One of which would be to move his show to CBS following Letterman and then eventually take over The Late Show when Dave left. NBC didn't want that to happen so they promised O'Brien he'd get The Tonight Show in 5 years. LENO AGREED!!

When Leno took over from Carson NBC had a stinker on their hands. He had a lot of work to do in order to make the show a success. He didn't have any serious competition to go up against and when Letterman left he started kicking Leno's ass in the ratings. It wasn't until Hugh Grant came on to talk about his prostitute problem that Leno started beating Letterman. Leno had a long time to get his doodoo together. He knifed O'Brien in the back in order to get the show back. I know people who've met and spoken to Leno at length and I've only heard good things about him but his actions in this deal are deplorable.

Conan pushing Lopez out of talk tv is like Dan Marino pushing JP Losman out of a QB job

:wallbash:

Link

On Tuesday Leno showed a fake Facebook page that belonged to the failed TS bomber. Under fans of, he had listed team CoCo. :doh:

That and the fact that he manned up and TALKED to Lopez and asked for his consent to take his time slot. But hey, if you like bland, safe, harmless humor, then Jay Leno is your man. Me, I'd rather watch paint dry that listen to his grating voice kiss his guests' arses for 60 minutes.

I knew someone would make this leap. I don't even watch Leno, or Letterman. I'm a Kimmel fan. I just think Leno is being blamed unfairly and that Conan is being a baby.

PTR

Leno has always been a sneaky bastard, even when Johnny Carson was going to leave the Tonight Show...

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/30/magazine...ml?pagewanted=1

I just read that article. Honestly I don't see where Leno comes off as a "sneaky bastard." Yes his manager planted the story but it never says Leno was part of it. And what do you expect a manager to do? It's show biz, for heaven's sake.

This whole thing is an overblown retarded mess. You have big egos all wanting to possess the same one thing, and you have executives making bad situations worse. How is this different from anything in show business? Ever audition for a part? Is this the first time someone felt they had something promised to them and had it taken away?

What makes me chuckle is how the same crap happens at every level. This soap opera has played out countless times with deejays on local radio stations (that unfortunately I have been at both ends, as talent and as management.) And if you really want to boil it down, its like two babies wanting the same rattle.

It's show business.

PTR

PTR

I think George Lopez will be happy with the move to midnight as he will most likely have a larger audience feeding into his show.

Having said that, I dont get what the big fuss is about either. Conan and Leno play to different crowds anyways. I think Conan's lack of success initially was due to the Tonight Show audience not really being Conans target audience.

Conan can move to TBS where his followers will follow and build an audience there. Conan got paid a nice chunk of money for the NBCs stupidity so I wouldnt feel too bad for him.

I think the interesting battle now will be between Conan and the Comedy Central team of Stewart and Colbert. Those shows have the same audience. I imagine most will just DVR one or the other or catch the re-air on Comedy Central the following day.