Thanks Leonidas

Excuse the !@#$ out of me for trying to develop what some people considered a decent resource for the site.

Whoa now, lets put down the 50 cal. I'll admit I didn't utilize that resource because I didn't find him particularly insightful. But you do have to admit, this board ain't what it was 10 years ago.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent the better part of the last month trying to keep people updated with "insider" information by posting relevant things from ESPN Insider that most of you don't have access to. I get nothing, no thanks, or anything. That's fine, really. But then I register a complaint to an ESPN writer who takes it totally to heart like I insulted his kid or something and packs up his things and goes home, and suddenly I'm the bad guy? Give me a !@#$ing break. No, I'm not apologizing. Certainly not at this stage.

:P :P :lol:

The "THANK YOU" card from TBD must have gotten lost in the mail. Wow.

You did something stupid (at best inappropriate given the venue), it caused a bigger problem than you could have anticipated, and it hurt a lot of people on this site in the process. A small "mea culpa" is the right move.

But continue to dig your heels in...

But you do have to admit, this board ain't what it was 10 years ago.

On that, we do not disagree. And why isn't it? Because as the population grew, we lost the small-town feel, and it probably isn't coming back.

Doesn't mean that some of us can't rage against the dying of the light.

On that, we do not disagree. And why isn't it? Because as the population grew, we lost the small-town feel, and it probably isn't coming back.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right

even Dylan Thomas knows the idiots will win.

Sidenote: this may be the first time graduate school has been useful in any way

Whoa now, lets put down the 50 cal. I'll admit I didn't utilize that resource because I didn't find him particularly insightful. But you do have to admit, this board ain't what it was 10 years ago.

What is this revisionist history rampant in this thread? TBD might be lacking some of the quality, in-depth discussions it once had, but that's a result of growth. There are thousands and thousands of members. Of course quality will be watered down. And of course the close-knit feel will eventually give way.

"The good old days?" Like when there were meltdown threads every month? When BF would take some ridiculous stance and then have a 30 page bitchfest with Tom, Darin, Thailog, etc.? All that was great entertainment...but some golden land of civility and tranquility? Ha!

"Retatta" marked a turning point for this place. I'll agree that it has become a lot more ADHD and, on the whole, good discussion is washed away in the face of spastic postings. But TBD is not some crater of what was once Bills Utopia.

If this thread is what constitutes drama nowadays, I think my point is made.

What is this revisionist history rampant in this thread? TBD might be lacking some of the quality, in-depth discussions it once had, but that's a result of growth. There are thousands and thousands of members. Of course quality will be watered down. And of course the close-knit feel will eventually give way.

"The good old days?" Like when there were meltdown threads every month? When BF would take some ridiculous stance and then have a 30 page bitchfest with Tom, Darin, Thailog, etc.? All that was great entertainment...but some golden land of civility and tranquility? Ha!

"Retatta" marked a turning point for this place. I'll agree that it has become a lot more ADHD and, on the whole, good discussion is washed away in the face of spastic postings. But TBD is not some crater of what was once Bills Utopia.

If this thread is what constitutes drama nowadays, I think my point is made.

I miss Thailog. A lot.

I'm not going to belabor the situation because it's really pointless, but for my own peace of mind and so that people know where I'm coming from, I will respond to a few points being made here.

Some are saying it's because I'm thin-skinned, but the fact of the matter is I'm walking away not because of attacks made on me. I can handle those. As pointed out previously, I like to engage with readers who disagree with me in my chats or the comments section. But that's not the case here. This was an attack on a friend and a coworker, and by extension, my employer. And this wasn't the first time.

Chris Mortensen, for instance, is another friend -- a man who went out of his way at a time when my father was near death to call me regularly to see how he was doing. I remember one of the first times he called and asked what my father's name was. I didn't know why he wanted to know, but I told him. He said "OK, because I want to mention him in my prayers tonight." That's the kind of guy Mort is. You may disagree with what he writes or how he covers the team, but the venom I read on here about him being a piece of [insert expletive here] makes my blood boil. The same goes with Jerry Sullivan, another close friend. People here can't or won't separate the reporter from the person, coverage from character. It's juvenile and gets to be too much.

Would you remain a member of an organization that trashes your friends? I wouldn't either.

I can handle myself, but I'm not going to implicitly approve of what goes on here by not only being a member, but also being active in it. If you see that as thin-skinned, then I can't help you. I see it as pretty logical.

Here's what I wrote on my "Ask Tim" thread a while back when people here were demanding I out a source and trashing my credentials:

The difference between what I face in my job and what I do here is that I don't get paid to come here. ESPN pays me to deal with the comments I receive at the bottom of my blogs and in my mailbag and wherever else.

When I come here it's because I enjoy it. When I stop enjoying it, then I will find something else to do.

If your wife nags you at home and you decide to go out with the boys to have some fun, do you feel compelled to walk up to a table full of women and ask them to yell at you because, after all, that is what's waiting for you at home?

Now, I'll address a few notes on here. But I think you'll notice I wouldn't be refuting opinions of my work or my role on this site. That's because those are your opinions, and you're entitled to them. I don't take offense if you don't like what I do.

Wish you would reconsider, Tim. Would you if this message board was more strictly moderated?

Rage doesn't do anyone any good. It is what it is.

Timmy has got a long way to go. The guys that fetched my coffee were better journalists and actually knew their role. They had some humility. Tim, since I know you're reading this, you're a blogger for ESPN. Big deal. Get over yourself.

Timmy has got a long way to go. The guys that fetched my coffee were better journalists and actually knew their role. They had some humility. Tim, since I know you're reading this, you're a blogger for ESPN. Big deal. Get over yourself.

from all i've read about Tim Russert, and never having had a chance to meet him, you do him and his memory a huge dis-service with that post.

jw

Tim- I personally apologize that the talk-radio generation wasn't brought up to understand how you treat a guest. They think everything is about how they feel about things.

If you are still reading any of this, thank you for providing a national perspective and I am sorry for the way you were abused.

Disembodied voices = creepy :P

One of the undeservedly biggest egos on this board telling somebody else to get over themselves?

Oh, the irony.

I miss Thailog. A lot.

Gee, big surprise.

Birds of a feather and all.....

But you do have to admit, this board ain't what it was 10 years ago.

Thank you for your significant contribution to that regression.