Brohm VS Meredith

There is a very interesting thing going on amongst this board in regards to Brohm and Meredith. There are many posters on here who are just soooo hung up on how Brohm was claimed from the Packers PS and because of that it is evident he will never amount to anything. Then many of those same people turn around and show support for Meredith, who ironically travelled almost the identical path to get to the Bills.

Both are unproven, both have potential...however, Meredith doesnt get bashed nearly as much, in fact barely at all, for being claimed off the Packers PS while Brohm continuously does in heated posts.

So, why does Brohm provoke so much negative emotion from how he got here and not Meredith?

1. Both were highly rated coming out of college

2. Both slipped (Brohm to the 2nd and Meredith to the 5th)

3. Both didnt develop fast enough to hold onto a roster spot in GB

However, Meredith played a position where GB was greatly lacking in, the OL, and Brohm played a position where GB is top 5 in, QB. And lets be real here, the QB position is pretty much the consensus hardest position to play at the Pro level of just about any team sport and has the steepest learning curve. So, its really pretty normal for a young QB to struggle in his first year or two, especially when you are not getting many reps.

Yet, Meredith some how gets a much bigger pass on how he got here even though he couldnt make the active roster of a team who desperately needed help at his position. I just dont understand the reasoning.

I for one like that we have both young prospects who have great upside with little risk given how cheap we were able to get them. But for some reason, many posters on here insist Brohm is nothing more than a 3rd string QB because "he couldnt beat out a 7th rounder" while Meredith doesnt get that same criticism from many of them even though he couldnt make the active roster as even a reserve on a team that needed at lot of help on the OL.

Maybe they both fail, maybe they develop...who knows...but I just dont get the uneven reception of them getting a shot as they both offer a lot of upside at positions of great need on this team.

There is a very interesting thing going on amongst this board in regards to Brohm and Meredith. There are many posters on here who are just soooo hung up on how Brohm was claimed from the Packers PS and because of that it is evident he will never amount to anything. Then many of those same people turn around and show support for Meredith, who ironically travelled almost the identical path to get to the Bills.

Both are unproven, both have potential...however, Meredith doesnt get bashed nearly as much, in fact barely at all, for being claimed off the Packers PS while Brohm continuously does in heated posts.

So, why does Brohm provoke so much negative emotion from how he got here and not Meredith?

It's because there aren't any idiots on this board who are tying the franchise to Meredith. He hasn't been anointed and he hasn't failed miserably in every opportunity he's been given so far. That's why.

Maybe they both fail, maybe they develop...who knows...but I just dont get the uneven reception of them getting a shot as they both offer a lot of upside at positions of great need on this team.

That basically sums up your post. You could have gone without all the other paragraphs and saved us all the trouble and no one would have disagreed with you.

You are 100 percent correct with this point Alpha. IMO, people are like cattle and their thought process follows suit.

Meredith represents a relatively unfamiliar player, who has potential and is on a path of ascension. At least people really want to believe that. Many fans want to get on the bandwagon and say I had a feeling about that guy.

Brian Brohm represents a very well-known player, who despite his potential has not lived up to the hype yet. It's the hype that makes fans want to get on the bandwagon and say I had a feeling that guy stunk.

It's all about expectations and people's expectations can be based on any number of things. Alot of the time expectations are based on pure crap. Steve Johnson gets praised routinely on TSW and James Hardy gets shredded. What is the major difference between the two so far? Expectations

Brian Brohm is an easy target for the crowds and Jamon Meredith makes for a feel good story. What they have done in the NFL up to this point is comparable.

You are 100 percent correct with this point Alpha. IMO, people are like cattle and their thought process follows suit.

Meredith represents a relatively unfamiliar player, who has potential and is on a path of ascension. At least people really want to believe that. Many fans want to get on the bandwagon and say I had a feeling about that guy.

Brian Brohm represents a very well-known player, who despite his potential has not lived up to the hype yet. It's the hype that makes fans want to get on the bandwagon and say I had a feeling that guy stunk.

It's all about expectations and people's expectations can be based on any number of things. Alot of the time expectations are based on pure crap. Steve Johnson gets praised routinely on TSW and James Hardy gets shredded. What is the major difference between the two so far? Expectations

Brian Brohm is an easy target for the crowds and Jamon Meredith makes for a feel good story. What they have done in the NFL up to this point is comparable.

Yeah, Hardy and Steve Johnson is another good comparison.

Too many people get held up on draft slot as well. Where you were drafted, or even if at all, becomes pretty meaningless once you put the pads on and hit the field.

However, Meredith played a position where GB was greatly lacking in, the OL, and Brohm played a position where GB is top 5 in, QB. And lets be real here, the QB position is pretty much the consensus hardest position to play at the Pro level of just about any team sport and has the steepest learning curve. So, its really pretty normal for a young QB to struggle in his first year or two, especially when you are not getting many reps.

Yet, Meredith some how gets a much bigger pass on how he got here even though he couldnt make the active roster of a team who desperately needed help at his position. I just dont understand the reasoning.

I for one like that we have both young prospects who have great upside with little risk given how cheap we were able to get them. But for some reason, many posters on here insist Brohm is nothing more than a 3rd string QB because "he couldnt beat out a 7th rounder" while Meredith doesnt get that same criticism from many of them even though he couldnt make the active roster as even a reserve on a team that needed at lot of help on the OL.

I think a number of Brohm's dissenters see him as a possible threat to Edwards job.

It must be racial.

It's only a message board, and people are only sharing their opinions. Few people on here have the maturity to agree to disagree. When people post things that are overly positive then you wind up provoking an overly negative reaction, and vice versa. But what do some of you people expect, that your brilliant OPINION is supposed to be embraced as FACT by everyone? It's not very realistic.

It must be that rather than the fact that he was cut by the team that drafted him in the second round and his putrid 43 QB rating.

Yes a QB rating is a great barometer of a young QB on a new team with 1 week of first team reps. Really he is on par with Edwards who had a 51 rating at MIA, then followed up with a stellar 52 at home against Cleveland.

Brohm is a QB. You understand the scrutiny involved in that position, don't you?

That notwithstanding...it won't take much looking for you to turn up a Brohm is the starter and will be damn good threads.

Which is more outlandish?

Might he be OK? He might, but you can't discount the fact that the Packers did not feel that they needed to protect him two years running.

Meredith was a rookie (correct me if I'm wrong) at a less high profile position so I can see trying to sneak him through.

Brohm...eh, we'll see...but I'm not holding my breath.

To answer your question, it's simple, Brohm is a QB with high expectations. Most people could give a sh-- about an unknown OL like Meredith.

Brohm has the potential to provide a much, much, much higher impact to the Bills because of the position that he plays.

It's not that difficult to understand really.

There is a very interesting thing going on amongst this board in regards to Brohm and Meredith.

4. There are NOT tons of fan boys on the boards fawning all over Meredith without him having done anything significant to deserve it.

I think it might have something to do with what I inserted and bolded above.

I agree that both of these players have untapped (or preceived) potential. I think the sentiment that you are alluding to is kind of similar to how fans feel about Edwards and Whitner. The bottom line is that people see what they want to in a player - where one person might say Brohm is the worst because he couldn't beat out a 7th rounder for a roster spot, another might say he was never given a fair chance to play or something. The same could be said about Meredith. With Edwards and Whitner one person might say they both had their chances and can't cut it, another might say that the previous coaching staff was useless and those two players might still get better with better football organization in place.

No one really looks at these players objectively - the fans can't because all they have is basically subjective information on the players.

Lots of good replies, and I get it has a lot to do with expectations, the high profile position of QB, etc. I know all that...

I guess the point that was puzzling to me is that neither was a high draft choice of this organization...neither cost us much...and neither came with any expectations. So, there is just so little risk for this team to give both of these guys a shot yet some people get so animated in slamming Brohm as if our team mortgaged its future to get him or something while being totally positive on Meredith.

And the vast majority of those slams are centered predominantly on him not beating out a 7th rounder (who the Packers are high on) for a back up spot on a team with a top 5 QB as its starter, all the while ignoring the fact Meredith couldnt make the active roster on a team in major need of help at his position.

Like Promo said too...its the offseason, what the hell else do we have to do...

Guest dog14787
I think a number of Brohm's dissenters see him as a possible threat to Edwards job.

I'm Edwards biggest fan, but I'm still able to be a fan of Brohms and Fitzpatrick for that matter because they are Buffalo Bills.

Brohm gets named the starter then apparently the Coaching staff believes he can do the job and I'm going to stand behind him 100% period.

I realize Brohm hasn't had a chance to show much as far as the NFL goes, but with all the support he has from the GM/ Coaching staff on down to the fan base its a good indication in my opinion Brian Brohm will be looked at really hard in the coming weeks and months and for good reason.