If we could somehow swing a trade for Jamaal Brown

I know the possibility of dealing for the Saints' left tackle has been discussed here, but my thinking was that after the draft, the Saints have little incentive to deal the guy unless they could get a player or players in return to help them this year.

Well, Mike Lombardi yesterday speculated that Brown still could be had if a contract extension can be worked out:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday...-Post-8060.html

This is very interesting. I've been trying to think of how it would make sense from the Saints' standpoint. I guess their thinking is that they won a Superbowl without him, they drafted his replacement (Charles Brown), and they don't want to pay the guy - especially because he's coming off of a serious injury.

If all of that is indeed the case, and provided he's clearable medically, this HAS to be at the top of the Bills' priority list right now. Brown is young, and absolutely dominant when healthy (note: I have no idea what his attitude is like). If they could grab him for a second or third in next year's draft, then IMO it's a steal and it has to be done.

And if the Bills are somehow able to swing this trade (and note, they'd also have to pay him), it would really put the cherry on top of the best offseason in a long, long time. LT is the final building block for the foundation of this franchise. Obviously, a franchise quarterback is the next step - and probably next year's priority. But IMO you'll give that young QB a much greater chance of success by having everything else in place around him by the time he comes in.

I know the possibility of dealing for the Saints' left tackle has been discussed here, but my thinking was that after the draft, the Saints have little incentive to deal the guy unless they could get a player or players in return to help them this year.

Well, Mike Lombardi yesterday speculated that Brown still could be had if a contract extension can be worked out:

This is very interesting. I've been trying to think of how it would make sense from the Saints' standpoint. I guess their thinking is that they won a Superbowl without him, they drafted his replacement (Charles Brown), and they don't want to pay the guy - especially because he's coming off of a serious injury.

If all of that is indeed the case, and provided he's clearable medically, this HAS to be at the top of the Bills' priority list right now. Brown is young, and absolutely dominant when healthy (note: I have no idea what his attitude is like). If they could grab him for a second or third in next year's draft, then IMO it's a steal and it has to be done.

And if the Bills are somehow able to swing this trade (and note, they'd also have to pay him), it would really put the cherry on top of the best offseason in a long, long time. LT is the final building block for the foundation of this franchise. Obviously, a franchise quarterback is the next step - and probably next year's priority. But IMO you'll give that young QB a much greater chance of success by having everything else in place around him by the time he comes in.

TOTALLY AGREE! a big piece is now in place with that position fortified. it seems easy, but we shall see if nix thinks like we do!

You said: it would really put the cherry on top of the best offseason in a long, long time.

I was with you until this comment. I agree with everything else you said but, I cannot disagree with you more on that statement. We have filled some of the areas of need,(draft) but we did not have the best off season. We did not fill the LT spot, Second WR spot, Reserve TE spot, backup Guard spot. Plus the guys we brought in are questionable. It's ok that they are not big names but Dwan Edwards has a neck issue. The O-lineman we got was a bottom rung lineman and some of the draft picks were a reach. I sure hope, I'm wrong with them and we have a good Regular season, but this off season is nothing to write home about.

You said: it would really put the cherry on top of the best offseason in a long, long time.

I was with you until this comment. I agree with everything else you said but, I cannot disagree with you more on that statement. We have filled some of the areas of need,(draft) but we did not have the best off season. We did not fill the LT spot, Second WR spot, Reserve TE spot, backup Guard spot. Plus the guys we brought in are questionable. It's ok that they are not big names but Dwan Edwards has a neck issue. The O-lineman we got was a bottom rung lineman and some of the draft picks were a reach. I sure hope, I'm wrong with them and we have a good Regular season, but this off season is nothing to write home about.

Time will tell but I disagree with you on this. We got bigger, stronger and faster. We have some stop gaps to be sure but also building blocks for a big and strong young team. Buddy has repeatedly said thsi will not be a one draft turnaround. After hating the past four off-seasons, I'm liking this one. I see a plan and growth.

Time will tell but I disagree with you on this. We got bigger, stronger and faster. We have some stop gaps to be sure but also building blocks for a big and strong young team. Buddy has repeatedly said thsi will not be a one draft turnaround. After hating the past four off-seasons, I'm liking this one. I see a plan and growth.

Best off-season in a long, long time??? We have no significant FA signings. Let's see how the draft picks perform before we crown their asses and proclaim we had said best off-season in a long, long time. :thumbsup:

Best off-season in a long, long time??? We have no significant FA signings. Let's see how the draft picks perform before we crown their asses and proclaim we had said best off-season in a long, long time. :thumbsup:

Dennis Green is that you?

Has anyone given thought to why the Saints would trade a LOT? The guy is a supreme talent, but he'll need a Peters like extension and he just missed an entire season. Jermon Bushrod is OK, but he's not the player Brown is when healthy. Caveat emptor.

Furthermore, the Bills aren't giving up picks for players. They want to develop their own guys and keep costs down. Brown doesn't fit with their plan.

Has anyone given thought to why the Saints would trade a LOT? The guy is a supreme talent, but he'll need a Peters like extension and he just missed an entire season. Jermon Bushrod is OK, but he's not the player Brown is when healthy. Caveat emptor.

Furthermore, the Bills aren't giving up picks for players. They want to develop their own guys and keep costs down. Brown doesn't fit with their plan.

I think Buddy would give up picks if it made us better and we are not on the gave up too much side of the trade.

I think Buddy would give up picks if it made us better and we are not on the gave up too much side of the trade.

So true bro. It will definitely take a few off seasons to turn it around, but I much prefer the player types that we are going for right now. To turn this team into a serious contender in one offseason would require a number of miracles to happen. When you analyze a team like the Patriots before 2001 they required a number of quality off seasons to put that roster together and they did it without a lot of the big time free agent moves you see today. Let's not forget that our IR situation has made it quite difficult to properly evaluate what we already have. Injuries at key positions have a bad domino affect on a teams performance. Quite often, especially on the lines, a player is only as good as the man next to him. Look at Haynesworth when he was with Tennessee and look at the players around him. They did not have great linemen, but they were all certainly above average. A great line is always greater than the sum of it's parts.

Yeah it is the best offseason in about a decade or more. Love the GM pick, really like the HC pick. Love the fact we have two Strength coaches.

I really like the draft picks and who we have brought in so far. This is a team on the rebound and we finally got the right guys in here to do it right.

So you think the Bills never tried to deal for McNabb????

JMO, but I don't see this organization dealing a pick or picks for a guy who will require a huge extension probably on par with what Peters demanded last year. Brown is an All-Pro caliber LOT and will need a deal exceeding 10M per season based on the current market. The Bills haven't handed out a 45M+ contract since Schobel nearly 3 years ago.

Nice post that might actually invoke some constructive discussion. :thumbsup: I know nothing about this guy so there is really nothing I can add to the conversation but interested in seeing what everyone has to say about him.

That'd be an interesting place to put a crown.

I think the saints have a boat load of guys who are due to get paid next year

Buddy approach is right, but left tackle is at this point a big need. I think making a play on a vetern left tackle helps with qb evaluations both this year and if we go the rookie route next year.

Yeah it is the best offseason in about a decade or more. Love the GM pick, really like the HC pick. Love the fact we have two Strength coaches.

I really like the draft picks and who we have brought in so far. This is a team on the rebound and we finally got the right guys in here to do it right.

I agree with Darth. It nice to have someone with a clear direction and game plan.