The 2007 Draft

Amazing how many boom or bust picks there were in this draft:

1. OAK JaMarcus Russell, QB. May go down as the biggest bust of all time, given his status as a #1 pick. All sorts of issues, overweight/bad work ethic, needed babysitting, and of course, his addiction to lethargy. :D

2. DET Calvin Johnson, WR. Perhaps the most physically impressive WR in the NFL. Slid back a step last year, although he was working with a rookie QB and a new coaching staff. One of the most talented WR's in the league and a tough matchup for any DB.

3. CLE Joe Thomas, OT. Has played at a high level since entering the league. Fell off a little last year, but Browns were terrible through most of the season, winning a few games late. A top notch NFL LOT and does not yield many sacks. 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 first team All-Pro.

4. TB Gaines Adams, DE. Passed away in January from heart ailment after having been dealt to the Bears for a 2nd round pick. Really never could get it going in TB, but CHI thought they could get something from him now that Rod Marinelli is the Bears DL coach.

5. AZ Levi Brown, OT. A classic reach pick by the Cardinals to protect Matt Leinart's blindside. Hasn't lived up to expectations and it's unclear if he ever will.

6. WAS Laron Landry, S. Physically touted as another superbly gifted safety but is a liability in coverage. More of an in the box SS than a FS.

7. MIN Adrian Peterson, RB. One of the most physically dominant RB's in recent memory but has become somewhat fumble prone. This became evident last season, most notably in the NFC Championship game. A gamebreaker when he holds onto the ball. Three time Pro Bowler and 2 time first team All Pro.

8. ATL Jammal Anderson, DE. Not much of a pass rush threat: 2.5 sacks in 44 games started.

9. MIA Ted Ginn, WR. Widely panned pick was recently traded to 49ers for late pick. Good in the return game, but is not a receiving threat considering his draft status and will shun contact.

10. HOU Amobi Okoye, DT. One of the youngest picks ever, surprised in his first season with 5.5 sacks on a DL with plenty of first rounders. Has somewhat underachieved since then.

11. SF Patrick Willis, LB. One of the fastest and most productive LB's in the NFL. Is a 3 time Pro Bowler and 2 time 1st team All-Pro.

12. BUF Marshawn Lynch, RB. Buffalo fans already know.

13. STL Adam Carriker, DT. Traded to Washington for a late pick last month. Missed much of 2008 and the entire 2009 season.

14. NYJ Darrelle Revis, CB. One of the top cover men in the game, is a two time Pro Bowler and was 1st team All Pro in 2009.

15. PIT Lawrence Timmons, LB. Became a starter at ILB in 2009 and played well. Probably overshadowed by 2nd round pick LaMarr Woodley.

16. GB Justin Harrell, DT. Not one of Ted Thompson's better picks. Had back problems going into the draft and has not overcome them. Only played in 13 games through 2009.

Other busts: DEN DE Jarvis Moss, JAC S Reggie Nelson, SD WR Craig Davis, CLE QB Brady Quinn

Solid picks: SF OT Joe Staley, CIN CB Leon Hall, KC WR Dwayne Bowe, BAL G Ben Grubbs, CAR LB Jon Beason, NE S Brandon Meriweather, TEN S Michael Griffin, NYG CB Aaron Ross

BillsVet. Thanks for doing that. That is good work and interesting.

I remember many Bills fans clammering for Ted Gin Jr.

As Bill Polian once said, "if you start listening to the fans, you will be sitting with the fans."

As Bill Polian once said, "if you start listening to the fans, you will be sitting with the fans."

People wanted Ginn and the Ginn family? That was a terrible pick from day 1.

I like going back and doing a mini-retrospective every now and then. As much as most of us like Posluszny, Patrick Willis is amazing. Unfortunately, he's been buried on a bad to mediocre team, although I think the 49ers are going to break out in 2010.

I'm not a fan of taking skill players when the team can't win at the POA. In this draft there wasn't much at 9 other than some skill guys. As I recall, some were thinking Poz at 12, but he fell to 34 and Marv traded up.

I remember this draft vividly as just before the Dolphins pick, I turned to my friend who I've been watching the draft for years and said, "They're taking Ginn." And when they did, we both laughed for quite a long time. We live in Columbus, watched just about every game the kid played, and new he was nothing but a glorified punt returner.

OSU players have been getting over rated for years (Bobby Carpenter anyone?), and it's not surprising that and Ohio University player was drafted before an Ohio State player this year.

Of course, they have produced a few decent corner backs. :thumbsup:

Lynch was off to the 2nd best 2 year start of any rb in franchise history.

He was not a bust pick, IMO. He has turned out disappointing but two very solid years does not a bust make. If the Bills can get a 3rd or better for him before the season starts then I won't call him a bust at all.

I really wanted Buffalo to take Carriker in that draft. :thumbsup:

Beason is better than Willis, I said it. Also, wasn't David Harris drafted after we took Poz? Damn, Marv, you've really pooped on your legacy.
He totally pissed away his hard-earned legacy in two years, such a shame. :thumbsup:

1. OAK JaMarcus Russell, QB. May go down as the biggest bust of all time, given his status as a #1 pick. All sorts of issues, overweight/bad work ethic, needed babysitting, and of course, his addiction to lethargy. :thumbsup:

2. DET Calvin Johnson, WR. Perhaps the most physically impressive WR in the NFL. Slid back a step last year, although he was working with a rookie QB and a new coaching staff. One of the most talented WR's in the league and a tough matchup for any DB.

3. CLE Joe Thomas, OT. Has played at a high level since entering the league. Fell off a little last year, but Browns were terrible through most of the season, winning a few games late. A top notch NFL LOT and does not yield many sacks. 3 time Pro Bowler and 1 first team All-Pro.

4. TB Gaines Adams, DE. Passed away in January from heart ailment after having been dealt to the Bears for a 2nd round pick. Really never could get it going in TB, but CHI thought they could get something from him now that Rod Marinelli is the Bears DL coach.

5. AZ Levi Brown, OT. A classic reach pick by the Cardinals to protect Matt Leinart's blindside. Hasn't lived up to expectations and it's unclear if he ever will.

6. WAS Laron Landry, S. Physically touted as another superbly gifted safety but is a liability in coverage. More of an in the box SS than a FS.

7. MIN Adrian Peterson, RB. One of the most physically dominant RB's in recent memory but has become somewhat fumble prone. This became evident last season, most notably in the NFC Championship game. A gamebreaker when he holds onto the ball. Three time Pro Bowler and 2 time first team All Pro.

8. ATL Jammal Anderson, DE. Not much of a pass rush threat: 2.5 sacks in 44 games started.

9. MIA Ted Ginn, WR. Widely panned pick was recently traded to 49ers for late pick. Good in the return game, but is not a receiving threat considering his draft status and will shun contact.

10. HOU Amobi Okoye, DT. One of the youngest picks ever, surprised in his first season with 5.5 sacks on a DL with plenty of first rounders. Has somewhat underachieved since then.

11. SF Patrick Willis, LB. One of the fastest and most productive LB's in the NFL. Is a 3 time Pro Bowler and 2 time 1st team All-Pro.

12. BUF Marshawn Lynch, RB. Buffalo fans already know.

13. STL Adam Carriker, DT. Traded to Washington for a late pick last month. Missed much of 2008 and the entire 2009 season.

14. NYJ Darrelle Revis, CB. One of the top cover men in the game, is a two time Pro Bowler and was 1st team All Pro in 2009.

15. PIT Lawrence Timmons, LB. Became a starter at ILB in 2009 and played well. Probably overshadowed by 2nd round pick LaMarr Woodley.

16. GB Justin Harrell, DT. Not one of Ted Thompson's better picks. Had back problems going into the draft and has not overcome them. Only played in 13 games through 2009.

Other busts: DEN DE Jarvis Moss, JAC S Reggie Nelson, SD WR Craig Davis, CLE QB Brady Quinn

Solid picks: SF OT Joe Staley, CIN CB Leon Hall, KC WR Dwayne Bowe, BAL G Ben Grubbs, CAR LB Jon Beason, NE S Brandon Meriweather, TEN S Michael Griffin, NYG CB Aaron Ross

Solid post ... a good reminder that other teams' drafts have been just as bad or worse than the Bills ... it's a crap shoot with these kids and yes THE BEAST if he had realized that those $$'s gave him and future generations more than he would ever need would have been the franchise RB with Jackson as his tandem mate but forward we go.

Would love to compare the drafts of teams in our division over the last few years ... if someone has the time ...

Terrific summarization of the past top picks. Two of the most consistent drafters in the league are Ted Thompson of the Packers and Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens. Their body of work is very impressive. Both GMs don't try to dazzle or outsmart others when making picks (compared to Donahoe), They make value picks and don't usually reach when they make a selection.

Green Bay drafting Bulaga at their position made a lot of sense and the Ravens smartly trading down got themselves both Kindle and Cody in the second round. An exaggerated amount of of attention is given to the first round picks but overall these two smart GMs' body of work puts our franchise to shame.

The Bills have not been able to draft a legitimate franchise qb since the departure of Kelly. Thompson drafted Rogers in the bottom half of the first round and Newsome bypassed Flacco with a high first round pick and maneuverd back into the first round to draft Flacco in the area where they had him valued on their board. Compare that to the lame Bills who gave up picks to get back into the first round to take JP Losman?

On a positive note I though Nix's first draft for us was very solid. Spiller was a top ten pick made in the top ten. The other picks were selections who were rated in the area they were drafted. I thought for a change the Bills' draft had a coherency and logic to it that it usually didn't have before. In addition, we made no DB picks. Dick Jauron would have been traumatized if he couldn't overload his draft with DBs.

Not to go too far afield or nitpick overmuch, but wasn't that a Marv-ism? Or is my memory that bad?

Not to go too far afield or nitpick overmuch, but wasn't that a Marv-ism? Or is my memory that bad?

That was a saying that Marv would periodically use. But who is to say where he got it from??? :rolleyes: