Why the Bills can make the playoffs this year

This is to add to my post of "Bills can make the playoffs". With the Bills going 7-9 three years in a row and 6-10 with Dick Jauron & Co, the Bills have nowhere to go but up.

1. One of the worst coaching staffs in Bills history is no longer in charge. Jauron didn't play to win, he played not to lose. We all remember his famous quote: "It's hard to win in the NFL". Everytime the Bills won the toss, he deferred to the 2nd quarter. How many times did we see Jauron challenge the wrong call and not challenge the call that could have been overturned? How many games every season over the last 4 years were lost due to bad coaching decisions...at least 10 (my count is 14).

2. The new 3-4 defense. Gone is the horrible, bend-don't-break Tampa 2 defense. Our DE's ranged from the 240's to the 260's last season, this year they range from 285 to 310. Plus, we have a 320 NT in the middle. Another change, no more tweener safeties as LB. Our LB's went from the 220's to 250 (Mitchell) to an average of 240-260's. What does bigger players on defense mean...more tackles. Last year, our run defense ranked #30 giving up 156.3 yards per game. The Bills let 4 teams rush for over 200 yards against them, including a 300 game vs the Jets. The run defense will be much improved to go along with the #2 ranked pass defense.

3. Injuries. Nix & Gailey hired 2 strength & conditioning coordinators, one for the linemen, the other for WR's & DB's. In the first OTA, Bills players came in and saw all 12 TV's were gone and the players were expected to come in and work. With the players being more physically prepared, there will be less injuries on the team.

4. Hiring an offensive minded coach (Gailey) that has experience. Now a lot of fans don't like the choice, because Gailey was canned before the start of the season in KC, but realisticly, look at the talent level on KC. The previous Bills OC's (Fairchild, Schonert & Van Pelt) didn't have much experience or any experience at all as an OC. Plus, Jauron wanted a dulled down, pop-warner type offense. Gailey plans to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players. Gailey also plans to put bigger WR's on the outside, to outleap and outmuscle DB's. Jauron & co had 5'10" Evans & 5'9" Parrish constantly lined up on the outside, which is part of the reason why both were WR's were ineffective. Both Parrish & Evans would work better in the slot or the inside.

5. C.J. Spiller. Spiller can be used in so many ways: Kick Return, Punt Return, RB, WR. If the O-line struggles again, Spiller can be a good relief valve to whoever the QB is by throwing a screen or dump off pass.

The O-line is still a big question. But, having new strength & conditioning coordinators should help keep these guys healthy and hopefully they can build on some consistentcy & chemistry together. Plus, after having Jauron & co, one of the worst coaching staffs on Bills history running this team, anyone in this league would have been an underachiever on this offense. QB & WR's are another question. With the QB position (refer back to the last statement about Jauron), also look at superbowl winning QB Drew Brees. In Brees' career at SD, Brees had 31 games where he threw for under 200 yards, including 6 games where he threw for under 100 yards. Some guys are just late bloomers, maybe Edwards and/or Brohm are late bloomers as well. We'll all find out this season. Realisticly, the 2010 Bills will not win the Superbowl and their offense won't crack the top 20, but the 2010 Bills are headed in the right direction one step at a time.

This is to add to my post of "Bills can make the playoffs". With the Bills going 7-9 three years in a row and 6-10 with Dick Jauron & Co, the Bills have nowhere to go but up.

1. One of the worst coaching staffs in Bills history is no longer in charge. Jauron didn't play to win, he played not to lose. We all remember his famous quote: "It's hard to win in the NFL". Everytime the Bills won the toss, he deferred to the 2nd quarter. How many times did we see Jauron challenge the wrong call and not challenge the call that could have been overturned? How many games every season over the last 4 years were lost due to bad coaching decisions...at least 10 (my count is 14).

2. The new 3-4 defense. Gone is the horrible, bend-don't-break Tampa 2 defense. Our DE's ranged from the 240's to the 260's last season, this year they range from 285 to 310. Plus, we have a 320 NT in the middle. Another change, no more tweener safeties as LB. Our LB's went from the 220's to 250 (Mitchell) to an average of 240-260's. What does bigger players on defense mean...more tackles. Last year, our run defense ranked #30 giving up 156.3 yards per game. The Bills let 4 teams rush for over 200 yards against them, including a 300 game vs the Jets. The run defense will be much improved to go along with the #2 ranked pass defense.

3. Injuries. Nix & Gailey hired 2 strength & conditioning coordinators, one for the linemen, the other for WR's & DB's. In the first OTA, Bills players came in and saw all 12 TV's were gone and the players were expected to come in and work. With the players being more physically prepared, there will be less injuries on the team.

4. Hiring an offensive minded coach (Gailey) that has experience. Now a lot of fans don't like the choice, because Gailey was canned before the start of the season in KC, but realisticly, look at the talent level on KC. The previous Bills OC's (Fairchild, Schonert & Van Pelt) didn't have much experience or any experience at all as an OC. Plus, Jauron wanted a dulled down, pop-warner type offense. Gailey plans to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players. Gailey also plans to put bigger WR's on the outside, to outleap and outmuscle DB's. Jauron & co had 5'10" Evans & 5'9" Parrish constantly lined up on the outside, which is part of the reason why both were WR's were ineffective. Both Parrish & Evans would work better in the slot or the inside.

5. C.J. Spiller. Spiller can be used in so many ways: Kick Return, Punt Return, RB, WR. If the O-line struggles again, Spiller can be a good relief valve to whoever the QB is by throwing a screen or dump off pass.

The O-line is still a big question. But, having new strength & conditioning coordinators should help keep these guys healthy and hopefully they can build on some consistentcy & chemistry together. Plus, after having Jauron & co, one of the worst coaching staffs on Bills history running this team, anyone in this league would have been an underachiever on this offense. QB & WR's are another question. With the QB position (refer back to the last statement about Jauron), also look at superbowl winning QB Drew Brees. In Brees' career at SD, Brees had 31 games where he threw for under 200 yards, including 6 games where he threw for under 100 yards. Some guys are just late bloomers, maybe Edwards and/or Brohm are late bloomers as well. We'll all find out this season. Realisticly, the 2010 Bills will not win the Superbowl and their offense won't crack the top 20, but the 2010 Bills are headed in the right direction one step at a time.

#3 and #4 are the biggies. maybe they can pull a 2008 Miami: no injuries, offense comes together. that would be great. longshot for sure, but would be the most fun we've seen since Flutie

i agree with your optimistic outlook. its the only way to approach the season. i feel that if we win the 7 at home, and the T O "home game", anything is possible. establishing the ralph as a place that teams do not want to come to is very important. staying away from the incredible injuries that we have endured would be nice. i am a "half-full" guy about the bills, felt last season was lost in the opener. beating the pats would have set the stage, perhaps changed the mind-set of the team. i, as always, anticipate nothing but the best. have to, or what is the use?

You make some good points but you seriously overestimate this team's talents and readiness to compete. You're right in that it can't get much worse. But this is only year one of a new regime. One draft is not going to turn it around. This is a rebuilding process. We appear to be on the up and up but how many years in a row have we said it was going to be different and that this year was finally our year?

Nix and Gailey will work hard and I wish them success but it'll take two more good drafts before we have our needs addressed and the roster filled out. We still don't have a franchise QB or LT. And those are the two most important positions in football.

We play in a very tough division and it'll be two more years before we're ready to compete and contend for a playoff spot.

Keep up the optimism, we'll get there. Just not this year.

You make some good points but you seriously overestimate this team's talents and readiness to compete. You're right in that it can't get much worse. But this is only year one of a new regime. One draft is not going to turn it around. This is a rebuilding process. We appear to be on the up and up but how many years in a row have we said it was going to be different and that this year was finally our year?

Nix and Gailey will work hard and I wish them success but it'll take two more good drafts before we have our needs addressed and the roster filled out. We still don't have a franchise QB or LT. And those are the two most important positions in football.

We play in a very tough division and it'll be two more years before we're ready to compete and contend for a playoff spot.

Well said.

Trust me, I can't blame anyone for being somewhat pessimistic about the Bills after what we've seen from the team over the past 10 years. IMO, the Bills could have made the playoffs at least twice over the last 4 years if we had a competent coaching staff leading this team.

IMO, our defense will be the strength of the team this year and if they gel together by the end of the season, I think our D will rank in the top 15. Our offense is the biggest question mark, I feel they will be improved over the Jauron era, but I don't think they'll rank in the top 20. I can see the Bills making it into the playoffs as a wild card team, but will lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs.

Trust me, I can't blame anyone for being somewhat pessimistic about the Bills after what we've seen from the team over the past 10 years. IMO, the Bills could have made the playoffs at least twice over the last 4 years if we had a competent coaching staff leading this team.

IMO, our defense will be the strength of the team this year and if they gel together by the end of the season, I think our D will rank in the top 15. Our offense is the biggest question mark, I feel they will be improved over the Jauron era, but I don't think they'll rank in the top 20. I can see the Bills making it into the playoffs as a wild card team, but will lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs.

I agree with that statement. We folded down the stretch big time after starting 5-1.

The defense will go through a transition period. There are so many questions along the D line. Can Williams man the nose? Can Troup contribute as a rookie? Can Stroud be a good 3-4 end after being a 4-3 tackle his whole career? Is Dwan Edwards' neck gonna hold up? How does Carrington figure in?

And OLB is super important in a 3-4 for generating a pass rush. Is Maybin gonna do something? Will he be a liability in coverage? What about Schobel? It goes on.

We still have no legit starter at QB. Trent will get one more shot and some good coaching from Gailey but will that be enough? Our line has serious problems at both tackle spots. A Raiders cast off on the right and the raw, penalty prone Bell on the left? No thanks. We are deep at RB but teams will stack the line of scrimmage and have eight in the box all day until we can show an air attack. Evans can be eliminated with a double team and with no one even remotely respectable opposite him, we're screwed.

Like I said, we're still a few pieces and a few years away from competing for the playoffs.

I'm optimistic too, but not blind. Once again, you are seriously overestimating this team's talent and abilitiy. We'll get there eventually, but not this year. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. We could surprise some people, but don't expect it.

FWIW, Tim Graham says we're two or three years away still.

You bring up a lot of good points. You've hit everyone right on the head with Jauron. I'm so glad that bend but don't break defense is gone, how many times we've seen 3rd and long and the opposing team picks up the 1st down. The main things for the Bills to have success this season is getting better stopping the run, getting some more production out of the offense and mostly importantly, limiting injuries. If the Bills can do that, then they have a shot. I get your point and I agree, I don't see how the Bills could do worse considering Jauron & his bunch of imbeciles were running the team for 4 years.

Can we archive these posts somewhere so that we can pull up the past decade of posts and read the same reasons why "this year it's going to be different because....."

Maybe we could just create some sort of fill in the blank form so you can easily say something like" Leodis McKelvin Aaron Maybin C.J. Spiller is going to be an impact player - that alone should give us more wins than last year"

I admire the optimism, really, I do - wish I could still have some and I honestly wish any/all of the reasons cited would actually get us to the playoffs. The sad truth however, is that the same things are said year after year and we continue to get the same thing year in and year out - a crappy team that's playing golf instead of football in January.

I agree with that statement. We folded down the stretch big time after starting 5-1.

The defense will go through a transition period. There are so many questions along the D line. Can Williams man the nose? Can Troup contribute as a rookie? Can Stroud be a good 3-4 end after being a 4-3 tackle his whole career? Is Dwan Edwards' neck gonna hold up? How does Carrington figure in?

And OLB is super important in a 3-4 for generating a pass rush. Is Maybin gonna do something? Will he be a liability in coverage? What about Schobel? It goes on.

We still have no legit starter at QB. Trent will get one more shot and some good coaching from Gailey but will that be enough? Our line has serious problems at both tackle spots. A Raiders cast off on the right and the raw, penalty prone Bell on the left? No thanks. We are deep at RB but teams will stack the line of scrimmage and have eight in the box all day until we can show an air attack. Evans can be eliminated with a double team and with no one even remotely respectable opposite him, we're screwed.

Like I said, we're still a few pieces and a few years away from competing for the playoffs.

I'm optimistic too, but not blind. Once again, you are seriously overestimating this team's talent and abilitiy. We'll get there eventually, but not this year. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. We could surprise some people, but don't expect it.

FWIW, Tim Graham says we're two or three years away still.

I agree the defense will take some time to come together, but I like that the Bills got bigger at the DE & LB positions. IMO, adding Davis & Edwards were good key FA signings. I think Stroud can transition to a DE in the 3-4, we've seen Stroud penetrate the backfield on multiple occasions. I can see our run defense being greatly improved. Our pass defense was ranked 2nd overall, so having a better run defense will make the defense much better. You're right about the pass rush, that is a big question mark, which is why I said I can see the Bills D getting into the Top 15 by the end of the year. If we can generate a good pass rush, our D could rank in the Top 10 by the seasons end.

As I said about Jauron & his staff, anyone in the NFL would have underacheived on our offense. I feel our offense will be better, but not good enough just yet to crack the Top 20 by seasons end.

I'm not expecting playoffs, but I do think it's a possibility. I think this year, we can finally get a win over the Pats, especially since Wes Welker got injured at the end of last season. IMO, I think the worst the Bills could do is 8-8. I know we're still a couple of years away from being a serious contender, but we're not as far off as people think.

The only way the Bills make the playoffs this years is if the Jets plane and the Dolphins plane crash in mid air over the Pats* practice facility thereby wiping out all 3 teams.

Thats exactly the first thing that I thought of.

Except they would be crashing into the Jets practice facilities.

I always felt that Jauron was very bright, but he was unable to make on the spot decisions. He just could not react quickly. He seemed to view the happenings on the field with a degree of detachment. Anyway, I will not delude myself into thinking we are on the way to the playoffs. Much work remains in front of us. But I do think the Bills are going in the right direction. I do have my fingers crossed that we surprise a lot of teams.

:wallbash:

How do you suppose that they will finish ahead of the Jets, NE or the fish? Dream on. They will be lucky to win one division game this year.

How do you suppose that they will finish ahead of the Jets, NE or the fish? Dream on. They will be lucky to win one division game this year.

Did I say anywhere in my post that the Bills will finish ahead of the Jets? No!!! The Jets will win the division, I'm saying the Bills could get a wild card spot. I think the Bills can beat the Dolphins twice next year. Remember, once the "Dick" was canned, the Bills beat the fins 31-14.

Patriots? Jets defense?

I never want to doubt the Patriots but I think their age is starting to show (see playoff game against the Ravens). Also, while still great, I think Tom Brady has proven to stuggle under pressure, something he hasn't had to face a lot in his career until recently. Not saying we will beat them but I believe they are more beatable now then they have been in the last 10 years.

As for the Jets, I'm still not convinced about them. Their D will probably be good but remember, our D had a field day against Sanchez in the first meeting last year.

Any team that at least has a competent coaching staff can win 9 games. Cripes, if Dickless Jauron wasn't such a clueless wuss, or if Perry Fewell were head coach from week #, the Bills would have won 9 games last year.

PTR

I never want to doubt the Patriots but I think their age is starting to show (see playoff game against the Ravens). Also, while still great, I think Tom Brady has proven to stuggle under pressure, something he hasn't had to face a lot in his career until recently. Not saying we will beat them but I believe they are more beatable now then they have been in the last 10 years.

As for the Jets, I'm still not convinced about them. Their D will probably be good but remember, our D had a field day against Sanchez in the first meeting last year.

Sanchez is a California boy and doesn't perform well in bad weather. That's why I think the Bills will beat the Jets at home. Maybe we can get lucky again and there will be terrible weather in NJ when we have to play the Jets there.

IMO, the Bills will finally get a win over the Pats this year. I agree about your assessment of the Pats, plus Wes Welker's injury will have a bigger impact to their offense than most people think (just look at the Pats playoff game vs the Ravens).

Any team that at least has a competent coaching staff can win 9 games. Cripes, if Dickless Jauron wasn't such a clueless wuss, or if Perry Fewell were head coach from week #, the Bills would have won 9 games last year.

PTR

I agree. I'm so glad Mr. Clueless is out of here.