Bills could have traded Lynch

drg2021

Jason LaConforia said on Nfl Total Access the Bills were offered a 4thround pick,possibilly 3rd for Lynch and turned it down.Said Bills have notified Lynchs agent that they do not expect Lynch to be traded this off season

If it was a 4th I can see why they passed. If it was a mid 3rd or higher I think that they should have pulled the trigger. Because even if Lynch has a really good year I don't see us getting more then a 2nd for him thus selling him for a mid or early 3rd wouldn't be too much of a loss.

The risk of Lynch having another bad year means we would be lucky to get a 5th or a 6th for him so securing a 3rd wouldn't be too bad considering the odds are greater that his stock is going to drop rather then his stock increasing. All in all passing on a 4th is a good risk because even if Lynch just has a decent year (800 yards 5 TD's and a 4.0 or better ypc) splitting time we are likely to still get a 4th or more likely better for him.

It would take a big injury, suspension, or terrible year in order for Lynch to command less then a 4th.

I heard him say something along these lines "I THINK the Bills should have moved Lynch for a 4th round pick, but I BELIEVE teams offered too little and the Bills turned down an offer or two"

Sounds like speculation not fact to me. People on here need to listen to a quote fully and really think about what was said said instead of taking it out of context. :rolleyes:

Well you obviously didnt listen to what he said.He said the Bills were offered a 4th round pick maybe a 3rd during the draft and they turned it down.Maybe you should watch the show and get ur facts straight before posting

Give up our #1 grinder RB for a 4th...? I don't care if he doesn't want to be here... This is not a charity... He's worth a lot more than that...

As some have already said, if another team has an injury during the summer and want to negotiate, I'm sure Nix will listen... but, in my opinion, if they're not offering at least a 2nd or more, he should play the ol' Reagan hearing loss trick...

Jason La Canfora does indeed say that the Bills "had a chance to trade him for a 4th round pick -- maybe even a 3rd -- during the draft. They opted not to". However, he doesn't say what team(s) offered to deal, so it's hard to say with 100% certainty if this is fact or speculation on La Canfora's part.

Here's the clip:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d...ound-the-League

If it was a 4th I can see why they passed. If it was a mid 3rd or higher I think that they should have pulled the trigger. Because even if Lynch has a really good year I don't see us getting more then a 2nd for him thus selling him for a mid or early 3rd wouldn't be too much of a loss.

The risk of Lynch having another bad year means we would be lucky to get a 5th or a 6th for him so securing a 3rd wouldn't be too bad considering the odds are greater that his stock is going to drop rather then his stock increasing. All in all passing on a 4th is a good risk because even if Lynch just has a decent year (800 yards 5 TD's and a 4.0 or better ypc) splitting time we are likely to still get a 4th or more likely better for him.

It would take a big injury, suspension, or terrible year in order for Lynch to command less then a 4th.

The reality is that the market for Lynch is less than a 4th... that's what the Redskins got for Jason Campbell. Similar enough story, with Campbell having several advantages.

Similarities to Campbell:

-- Both were first round picks, who are still young players

-- Both teams moved in new directions making them expendable (Spiller and McNabb)

Advantages to Campbell:

-- He's a QB, teams need them more than a RB

-- Regardless of whether he's a franchise QB, he's continued to improve each season as has been discussed on this board, While Lynch was worse last year

-- He's never been in trouble, while Lynch is one mistake from a large suspension

-- He has a strong team attitude, had gained the respect of his team through diversity and has a far better leadership presence than Lynch

-- Lynch had started to skip voluntary OTA's with a new regime that's trying to turn the team around. This indicates an aggressive, belligerent attitude toward the team that picked him in the first round and put up with all his nonsense

So if Campbell gets dealt for a 4th, our best situation for Lynch is a 5th... possibly less. IF we were offered a 3rd for him, we should have taken it in a heartbeat... a 2nd is delusional

Jason LaConforia said on Nfl Total Access the Bills were offered a 4thround pick,possibilly 3rd for Lynch and turned it down.Said Bills have notified Lynchs agent that they do not expect Lynch to be traded this off season

I still don't understand the idea that Lynch had to be traded because of drafting Spiller. Did the Vikings trade Chester Taylor immediately after drafting Percy Harvin? It's not necessary. A good coach will find a way to use all of these weapons. I contend the plan for Spiller is a lot of routes run out of the backfield and slot to cause mismatches, like Harvin runs. This means we still need 2 backs for "regular" RB duty.

The reality is that the market for Lynch is less than a 4th... that's what the Redskins got for Jason Campbell. Similar enough story, with Campbell having several advantages.

Similarities to Campbell:

-- Both were first round picks, who are still young players

-- Both teams moved in new directions making them expendable (Spiller and McNabb)

Advantages to Campbell:

-- He's a QB, teams need them more than a RB

-- Regardless of whether he's a franchise QB, he's continued to improve each season as has been discussed on this board, While Lynch was worse last year

-- He's never been in trouble, while Lynch is one mistake from a large suspension

-- He has a strong team attitude, had gained the respect of his team through diversity and has a far better leadership presence than Lynch

-- Lynch had started to skip voluntary OTA's with a new regime that's trying to turn the team around. This indicates an aggressive, belligerent attitude toward the team that picked him in the first round and put up with all his nonsense

So if Campbell gets dealt for a 4th, our best situation for Lynch is a 5th... possibly less. IF we were offered a 3rd for him, we should have taken it in a heartbeat... a 2nd is delusional

??? You forget the obvious...Lynch has made the pro bowl and is a probowl caliber player when he is in top shape.

He has had two 1000 yard seasons. For his first two seasons he was clearly the the Bill that was the toughest and played with the most heart. He has made some off season mistakes not the worst mind you. We have had Bills do worse.

Campbell sucks has never produced as a QB and lost his team last year. Only people that follow stats say he has gotten better each year. Last year he regressed that why he is gone this year. Campbell will not be making the probowl anytime soon. He could not find the end zone in many games and constantly has excuses for bad play.

Your assumptions are off. Mc Nabb is an established star in the league and Spiller isn't. So only Campbell is expendable here. No team would put the entire running load on a 30 year old and a rookie unless they absolutely have to. Voluntary OTA's are voluntary new coach or not. Your post is more aggressive and belligerant than Lynch skipping a Voluntary OTA. Nix did the right thing.

??? You forget the obvious...Lynch has made the pro bowl and is a probowl caliber player when he is in top shape.

He has had two 1000 yard seasons. For his first two seasons he was clearly the the Bill that was the toughest and played with the most heart. He has made some off season mistakes not the worst mind you. We have had Bills do worse.

Campbell sucks has never produced as a QB and lost his team last year. Only people that follow stats say he has gotten better each year. Last year he regressed that why he is gone this year. Campbell will not be making the probowl anytime soon. He could not find the end zone in many games and constantly has excuses for bad play.

Your assumptions are off. Mc Nabb is an established star in the league and Spiller isn't. So only Campbell is expendable here. No team would put the entire running load on a 30 year old and a rookie unless they absolutely have to. Voluntary OTA's are voluntary new coach or not. Your post is more aggressive and belligerant than Lynch skipping a Voluntary OTA. Nix did the right thing.

Just a few things here...

-- Lynch is good, but I don't think we can conclude that Campbell sucks. I think the jury can still be out on him and he might be successful in the future, but I'll concede that Lynch has been the better player. Though Lynch sucked it up as much as Campbell last year. Also QB will always remain a premium position that teams are desperate to fill, so would be a premium over an RB in most cases.

-- Lynch's was a pro-bowl alternate I believe (isn't that correct?), not directly selected. He was barely over 1,000 yards 2 years ago. 1K is not a good barometer, it averages to 63 yards/game. He's had very few 100 yard games and when he has its been because of a single big run. Lynch is barely at 4.0/yds per carry.

-- Expendable is simply a matter of having another player there. It doesn't matter who it is. Same way that the Ravens may be looking to trade Gaither... we would not be breaking new ground, as a rebuilding team to have a tandem of a 29 year old who is averaging 4.5+yd/carry and has little wear/tear on his body as he started late coupled with a rookie who was the top rated back in the draft. Of all positions that's the lowest risk. Teams position to ride rookie backs all the time.

-- I agree that OTA's are voluntary... for Bruce Smith in the prime of his career, coming off multiple Super Bowls. It is belligerent to skip them with a fledgling team, that hasn't been in the playoffs for a decade, trying to find its way with a new regime, installing a new system, yearning for leaders,........... NOT VOLUNTARY!

-- Lynch's was a pro-bowl alternate I believe (isn't that correct?), not directly selected. He was barely over 1,000 yards 2 years ago. 1K is not a good barometer, it averages to 63 yards/game. He's had very few 100 yard games and when he has its been because of a single big run. Lynch is barely at 4.0/yds per carry.

Lynch is actually a good player. and it's worth noting that in his rookie season, he averaged 86 rushing yards per game, which was seventh in the league. He missed three games because of injury. He missed 1-plus game in 2008 too. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

He's hardly a bust.

Not only did they not move a player who doesn't want to be here, is one strike away from an entire season suspension, has a bad attitude and whose play has diminished over the past few seasons, they have signed free agent RBs after drafting Spiller. This new regime has yet to show anyone they know what they are doing.

-- Lynch is good, but I don't think we can conclude that Campbell sucks. I think the jury can still be out on him and he might be successful in the future, but I'll concede that Lynch has been the better player. Though Lynch sucked it up as much as Campbell last year. Also QB will always remain a premium position that teams are desperate to fill, so would be a premium over an RB in most cases.

-- Expendable is simply a matter of having another player there. It doesn't matter who it is. Same way that the Ravens may be looking to trade Gaither... we would not be breaking new ground, as a rebuilding team to have a tandem of a 29 year old who is averaging 4.5+yd/carry and has little wear/tear on his body as he started late coupled with a rookie who was the top rated back in the draft. Of all positions that's the lowest risk. Teams position to ride rookie backs all the time.

-- I agree that OTA's are voluntary... for Bruce Smith in the prime of his career, coming off multiple Super Bowls. It is belligerent to skip them with a fledgling team, that hasn't been in the playoffs for a decade, trying to find its way with a new regime, installing a new system, yearning for leaders,........... NOT VOLUNTARY!

Your correct Lynch was a probowl alternate..I believe Jason Peters was his first probowl as well as Kyle Williams last year.

Not sure but I know they weren't the original starters. I'm not going to lessen the accomplishment of how they got there.

Lynch has not been the dominant RB that we have all have hoped. He reminds me of a tougher and slower Antowan Smith. Antowan had trouble hitting the hole too. We would like to see him get 1400 yards per year. Thats not going to happen

You make a good point that the QB is the premium position...this is why Campbell was eventually let go because during the Campbell era they are winning less and less games per year. With one of the lighter schedules in the league the Redskins couldn't generate a passing game. In fact they haven't been able to generate a passing game for 3.5 years.

When do we stop talking upside and choose to go in a direction where you can get a QB that can read defenses and find his own receivers.

Campbell has never been an alternate at the probowl. Being in the DC area Campbell has been a solid character guy but that doesn't translate into a good football player. I wish him the best with the Raiders.

We are not comparing two great players here but I agree with the way Nix handled the Lynch and Campbell situation.

No matter what you read into it voluntary workouts are voluntary and I don't think that Gailey and Nix are losing sleep over this one.

It was said somewhere that Seattle offered a 4th round pick for him. We balked and they turned their attention towards Lendale White. I wouldn't let Lynch go for anything less than a 2nd.

I have to agree. He's still young and he's a strong smash mouth up the middle type of runner who will compliment Spiller. The simple fact is that Fred Jackson (who' great IMO), is going to be getting old quick (he's 29) so it will be nice to have the one-two punch of Spiller and Lynch for years to come. Unless, that is, we can get a good offer for Lynch :rolleyes:

I have to agree. He's still young and he's a strong smash mouth up the middle type of runner who will compliment Spiller. The simple fact is that Fred Jackson (who' great IMO), is going to be getting old quick (he's 29) so it will be nice to have the one-two punch of Spiller and Lynch for years to come. Unless, that is, we can get a good offer for Lynch :rolleyes:

I would agree with what you're saying, but Lynch only has a year left on his contract. If he's really not interested in being here, we won't be able to resign him. He's telegraphed his intentions by not showing to the OTAs, hasn't he?