How are some of you Bills fans?

boyst

How is it there are posts that say there will be no wins next year, posts saying our front office is full of morons, posts saying our draft was awful, posts saying how bad our roster is for xxx position?

I am tired of reading along a new thread and seeing where someone starts a good conversation than someone replying with a post that without support, logic, thought, or anything that just simply says how bad we are.

I really believe that some of the posters here are so negative and pessimist that they probably drive down the high way and see their car on empty. Instead of filling the gas up to keep driving they probably think, "oh heck, it'll just run through the gas again if I put more in, I'll just keep going on empty." It's worse than those idiots on TV who always rant about how bad our government is and how so much is screwed up without getting in to their beliefs or giving a way to fix the problem in general!

I gues my point is, how do you people consider yourself Bills fans? What pleasure do you get out of the game when you're always looking at how bad the team is? Personally, I know we are not such a good team and have problems! But, I absolutely love to see the Bills try to fix the problem, seeing them try to put the puzzle together, than us analyze the moves.

May the 2010 Buffalo Bills season bring us all more optimism!!!

I'm optimistic.

But it's not easy when you're currently experiencing a ten year playoff drought and a revolving door of ho-hum coaches and front office personnel. Bills fans are super passionate about their team and just want to win. The losing wears you thin. Tests your patience and loyalty. I'll always support and love the Buffalo Bills. As much as we B word and moan, as much as we argue and disagree, we can all agree on one thing: we want the Buffalo Bills to succeed. Period.

i love the bills..but the front office has been doing some moronic things. Sorry bout that. Like not fixing the o-line or finding a qb and changing a defensive strategy when we don't have the personnel to do what they want done....doesn't mean I don't love the bills. If you've got a dopey kid, you still love him don't you?

I look at this as a win win season for Buffalo. If the team improves from last years record, then hey, we friggin improved..woohoo! If we do poorly, hello Locker,Mallet,Luck. Which by the way, if it turns out our drafted players filled needed holes, QB should be the last piece of the puzzle.

i love the bills..but the front office has been doing some moronic things. Sorry bout that. Like not fixing the o-line or finding a qb and changing a defensive strategy when we don't have the personnel to do what they want done....doesn't mean I don't love the bills. If you've got a dopey kid, you still love him don't you?

i would agree with you if you were correct . . . but you are not - the fo is doing just what needs to be done - the first thing to be fixed is getting much, much better against the run - we were 30th in the league against the run and you just cant win games like that - you really cant - no matter who the qb is or how many hof o-linemen you have if you are 30th in the nfl against the run you will lose more games than you will win.

now during the rest of the offseason this year and in next year's draft if we don't get at least a starting (better than average) qb (if not a franshise qb) and two good ot's (one rt, one lt) then i'll share your point to view

I'm optimistic.

But it's not easy when you're currently experiencing a ten year playoff drought and a revolving door of ho-hum coaches and front office personnel. Bills fans are super passionate about their team and just want to win. The losing wears you thin. Tests your patience and loyalty. I'll always support and love the Buffal Bills. As much as we B word and moan, as much as we argue and disagree, we can all agree on one thing: we want the Buffalo Bills to succeed. Period.

+1 .... nuff said

How is it there are posts that say there will be no wins next year, posts saying our front office is full of morons, posts saying our draft was awful, posts saying how bad our roster is for xxx position?

I am tired of reading along a new thread and seeing where someone starts a good conversation than someone replying with a post that without support, logic, thought, or anything that just simply says how bad we are.

I really believe that some of the posters here are so negative and pessimist that they probably drive down the high way and see their car on empty. Instead of filling the gas up to keep driving they probably think, "oh heck, it'll just run through the gas again if I put more in, I'll just keep going on empty." It's worse than those idiots on TV who always rant about how bad our government is and how so much is screwed up without getting in to their beliefs or giving a way to fix the problem in general!

I gues my point is, how do you people consider yourself Bills fans? What pleasure do you get out of the game when you're always looking at how bad the team is? Personally, I know we are not such a good team and have problems! But, I absolutely love to see the Bills try to fix the problem, seeing them try to put the puzzle together, than us analyze the moves.

Hey Artie. Go get the knife in the kitchen and go at it. What the F is your point? We have sucked for 10 years now so what do you expect?

i would agree with you if you were correct . . . but you are not - the fo is doing just what needs to be done - the first thing to be fixed is getting much, much better against the run - we were 30th in the league against the run and you just cant win games like that - you really cant - no matter who the qb is or how many hof o-linemen you have if you are 30th in the nfl against the run you will lose more games than you will win.

now during the rest of the offseason this year and in next year's draft if we don't get at least a starting (better than average) qb (if not a franshise qb) and two good ot's (one rt, one lt) then i'll share your point to view

WRONG!!!!!!!!Colts were dead last aginst the run last year and went to the Superbowl..Think before you speak.

I've been a Bills fan since my first live game at Rich Stadium, Nov. 20th 1983 against the Raiders (a loss, of course). I was nine, a brawl broke out a few rows away from where we seated and I, nine years old, got flattened by a couple of drunken fans in a tussle.

I suffered through the horrible 2-14 seasons of '84 and '85. I lived the roller coaster of the amazing 1988 team, the OT field goal against the Jets to get into the playoffs, the Bickering Bills of '89, the 4-year Super Bowl run, which went from equal parts anxiety and excitement to just complete anxiety.

I stayed on board during dwindling late nineties, the Motor City Miracle, Rob vs. Flutie, Drew vs. JP. I sat in my friends living room here in Columbus, Ohio and watched McGahee destroy his knee in the National Championship, and then watched in horror as the Bills drafted him four months later with Travis Henry on the roster.

Phillips, Williams, Mularky, Jauron, I've been on board for all it. I've watched the draft, got Sirius so I could listen to the games that aren't shown here, and then suffered the repeated Monday Night Football meltdowns year after year when they were on.

A pessimist is someone who stresses the negative. I'm not a pessimist. I see the upside in CJ Spiller, like I did in McKelvin, Lynch, Witner, McCargo, or the signings of Owens, Tripplet, etc. But I am pragmatic, a realist. I accept the fact that there are things going on that are working against the franchise - location, size of fanbase, ownership situation, budget restrictions, etc.

Could they strike lightning again like 90-93 - who knows. Is it likely? No. Will I still listen to every game. Yep. But don't expect me to believe, or Bill-ieve. I'm way to old for that, got to many last minute heartaches, can't miss busts and unmet expectations to get excited in May.

I look at this as a win win season for Buffalo. If the team improves from last years record, then hey, we friggin improved..woohoo! If we do poorly, hello Locker,Mallet,Luck. Which by the way, if it turns out our drafted players filled needed holes, QB should be the last piece of the puzzle.

Unless we do well enough to miss the playoffs but not bad enough to be in the top 15 for the draft

Could they strike lightning again like 90-93 - who knows. Is it likely? No. Will I still listen to every game. Yep. But don't expect me to believe, or Bill-ieve. I'm way to old for that, got to many last minute heartaches, can't miss busts and unmet expectations to get excited in May.

And why do you think that isn't likely? Seems to me that since Nix came back to the Bills (with last years draft, and overhauling the scouting department) the team is already better off. There was no magic in what Polian did: find the best players (in spite of what the draft pundits say), get the right coaches in place and you win. The problem since Butler left was that the Bills did a poor job of scouting/drafting/coaching. I think those days are over.

I've been a Bills fan since my first live game at Rich Stadium, Nov. 20th 1983 against the Raiders (a loss, of course). I was nine, a brawl broke out a few rows away from where we seated and I, nine years old, got flattened by a couple of drunken fans in a tussle.

I suffered through the horrible 2-14 seasons of '84 and '85. I lived the roller coaster of the amazing 1988 team, the OT field goal against the Jets to get into the playoffs, the Bickering Bills of '89, the 4-year Super Bowl run, which went from equal parts anxiety and excitement to just complete anxiety.

I stayed on board during dwindling late nineties, the Motor City Miracle, Rob vs. Flutie, Drew vs. JP. I sat in my friends living room here in Columbus, Ohio and watched McGahee destroy his knee in the National Championship, and then watched in horror as the Bills drafted him four months later with Travis Henry on the roster.

Phillips, Williams, Mularky, Jauron, I've been on board for all it. I've watched the draft, got Sirius so I could listen to the games that aren't shown here, and then suffered the repeated Monday Night Football meltdowns year after year when they were on.

A pessimist is someone who stresses the negative. I'm not a pessimist. I see the upside in CJ Spiller, like I did in McKelvin, Lynch, Witner, McCargo, or the signings of Owens, Tripplet, etc. But I am pragmatic, a realist. I accept the fact that there are things going on that are working against the franchise - location, size of fanbase, ownership situation, budget restrictions, etc.

Tim, I'm with you man.

After a decade of the same old dog food being pushed upon us you'll hae to excuse the folks who actually want to see some proof of positive forward motion with this organization. Many years ago I stopped believing the following:

- We are a year (2 max!) away from the playoffs

- The last coach was an idiot, but we finally have a guy who's going to turn it around

- The front office was a bunch of idiots, but they've made changes these guys know what they're doing now

- We have a new offense/defensive scheme - that's really gonna turn things around

- We drafted some busts last year, but this year we picked up some players who are going to be great

- We lost some close games last year - if the ball bounces our way this year we're a lock to win 10 games

- Last year we had injuries like you wouldn't believe - this year we're bound to be healthier and that means more wins

- With the right coaching I believe our quarterback can be successful

- The o-line is going to be better this year (how could it be worse?) and that's going to change a lot of things on offense

It's nice to believe any/all of the above, but they're just words. When you've been as bad as Buffalo has been for as long as Buffalo has been at some point you might actually want to see some results before making yourself feel better by repeating any of the above phrases. For the life of me I can't figure out how so many people keep repeating these things and are sure that "this year, it's gonna be different - I can feel it".

- The last coach was an idiot, but we finally have a guy who's going to turn it around

- The front office was a bunch of idiots, but they've made changes these guys know what they're doing now

- We have a new offense/defensive scheme - that's really gonna turn things around

- We drafted some busts last year, but this year we picked up some players who are going to be great

- We lost some close games last year - if the ball bounces our way this year we're a lock to win 10 games

- Last year we had injuries like you wouldn't believe - this year we're bound to be healthier and that means more wins

Ouch. I read that list and realize I've heard all of those many, many times over the last decade.

Excellent post. At the heart of everything is the mercurial owner, who insists on playing a large role in football decisions, rarely hires quality football minds for GM and HC, and still cannot assure fans where this team goes after his passing.

This off-season, three well-known (despite what people feel about them) football personalities declined Buffalo's offers to be here. Shanahan, Cowher, and weeks ago Donovan McNabb said thanks but no-thanks in the span of about four months.

Catching lightning in a bottle is not a strategy for rebuilding, and each franchise that's rebuilt in the past few years followed a method that Buffalo goes directly against. If there's one constant this decade, it's their missing on top OL/DL while drafting a surplus of skill players who as a result cannot succeed with little to no support. That has not changed for 2010, and assuming that project players and bad UFA's will fit the void on the OL is foolish.

Excellent points brother. Partying and pulling for our team is a blast. Every new season is a new beginning, and I'm excited to be at the Ralph for the home opener. I do have one prayer for our fans, safe driving after the games and no DWIs.

After a decade of the same old dog food being pushed upon us you'll hae to excuse the folks who actually want to see some proof of positive forward motion with this organization. Many years ago I stopped believing the following:

- The o-line is going to be better this year (how could it be worse?) and that's going to change a lot of things on offense

It's nice to believe any/all of the above, but they're just words. When you've been as bad as Buffalo has been for as long as Buffalo has been at some point you might actually want to see some results before making yourself feel better by repeating any of the above phrases. For the life of me I can't figure out how so many people keep repeating these things and are sure that "this year, it's gonna be different - I can feel it".

This post definitely hit home. These are the same things that we have heard and said many times over the past decade plus.

All this being said, Artie has a good point. It is the role of a true fan to believe. Without belief, why watch them and cheer them on? Don't you have better things to do on a Sunday afternoon than watch and cheer on a team that you fully expect to lose? Faith is an important part of my definition of being a fan. It is the one thing that has held me together while watching this team the past 25 years.

I've been a bills fan since the early 80's - and as long as the Bills remain in Buffalo, I'll continue to be a Bills fan.

That said...

They, like everyone - and everything, aren't perfect. So, I will complain about them once in a while. Do I "know" I could do a better job than Nix, Gailey, Wilson, etc? No, I know quite the opposite. But, that doesn't mean I can't question what seems like a mistake to everyone.

To this I add:

I'm overall disappointed with the "team". Winning teams have stability - which is what they haven't managed to do at all... at ANY level! Rotisserie in Front Office, Coaching, Players (namely QB). I did some statistical analysis of QB's in the last 10 Superbowls... On Average they were with the team who drafted them for 4 years. (2 came by Trade and 1 via FA) Who is the last Bills QB who got 4 years w/ the Bills (draft or otherwise)? Jim Kelly. Not one other QB was given 4 years to play, we pulled the rug out from under the rest of 'em in about 2 years. After Wade Phillips - we did the same w/ the Coach. Impatience doesn't equal success.

I think they had a decent draft. You can't address every need in one draft. see stability - Start the best QB (probably Edwards) based on actual performance and stick with them through the season.

One of the keys to success in Football, as in life, is patience. Which we've lost any and all of. The "Fan(atic)s" tend to be impatient because it's been so long since we had a playoff game... I'm a "Fan", but a patient one who is sometimes upset.