OL - Zone Blocking

Amstel

Nawrocki at PFW mentioned in his draft analysis that Gailey is implementing a Zone Blocking scheme. This may have been mentioned before (if so I apologize) however, I must have missed it.

I don't know that much about Zone blocking other than Denver uses/used it and made a bunch of their RB's including unknown guys into 1,000 yd rushers. Is it easier for O Linemen? Do they not have to hold blocks as long etc?

Just curious as to whether this played into the Nix/Gailey thinking they can get by with the guys they have....

Thank you in advance for your responses/answers!

In a really quick example...in a "zone scheme", linemen block defenders to the sideline as opposed to individual lineman putting a hat on somebody and blocking forward in a "power scheme".............Go SABRES!!!

Nawrocki at PFW mentioned in his draft analysis that Gailey is implementing a Zone Blocking scheme. This may have been mentioned before (if so I apologize) however, I must have missed it.

I don't know that much about Zone blocking other than Denver uses/used it and made a bunch of their RB's including unknown guys into 1,000 yd rushers. Is it easier for O Linemen? Do they not have to hold blocks as long etc?

Just curious as to whether this played into the Nix/Gailey thinking they can get by with the guys they have....

Thank you in advance for your responses/answers!

I think it's more a question of seeing if they can get more out of the line with the new scheme this year. Also, outside of the top 2 LTs this year, who were the rest of the studs available?

I'm not down on the draft at all. I trust Nix knows what he's doing. I wasn't aware that we were moving to a zone blocking scheme and like you was thinking maybe they might get more out of the group this year with the new scheme

Based on the article, the key to successful zone blocking is teamwork. One of the reasons Denver had such an effective offensive line was that he was able to have some stability along the line. It's tougher to implement zone blocking if you don't have the same guys practicing and playing together.

Last year, a zone scheme was impossible with the Bills because so many guys were hurt. Let's hope that changes this year, because if it doesn't a zone scheme won't work. I'm hoping that the emphasis on conditioning/diet this year will reduce the injury rate at least at little.

Under Shanahan, the Denver run game utilized the zone blocking scheme as is explained in the link above. No flashy stuff, no dancing, the RBs were asked to hit their hole, make one cut and run. That's it. One cut and accelerate full speed ahead.

as demonstrated very nicely by Terrell Davis

your linemen need to be able to move a little. as wang can for example.

denver always had one of the lightest, yet most agile line.

and, they were called dirty because in a zone-scheme the backside G and T often will be called to cut-block.

i like it :flirt:

Under Shanahan, the Denver run game utilized the zone blocking scheme as is explained in the link above. No flashy stuff, no dancing, the RBs were asked to hit their hole, make one cut and run. That's it. One cut and accelerate full speed ahead.

Good thing Denver drafted all those RB's in the first round. And it helps to have Alex Gibbs as your OL coach. Buffalo has another guy who's never been anything but an assistant OL.

Based on the article, the key to successful zone blocking is teamwork. One of the reasons Denver had such an effective offensive line was that he was able to have some stability along the line. It's tougher to implement zone blocking if you don't have the same guys practicing and playing together.

Last year, a zone scheme was impossible with the Bills because so many guys were hurt. Let's hope that changes this year, because if it doesn't a zone scheme won't work. I'm hoping that the emphasis on conditioning/diet this year will reduce the injury rate at least at little.

Wow, New defense, new blocking scheme equal big learning curve.

Good thing Denver drafted all those RB's in the first round. And it helps to have Alex Gibbs as your OL coach. Buffalo has another guy who's never been anything but an assistant OL.

Alex Gibbs is good. In Seattle now