Bills standing pat at QB..........for a reason.

I believe the Bills are waiting until next year to make their big play for a QB. They will make something happen one way or the other next year because the team will have TWO drafts under its belt under the new regime by then and will be better positioned to select a franchise QB in R1 next year. Edwards starting at QB as well as Bell and Green starting at the OT spots will ensure a relatively dismal performance from the QB position, which will ultimately lead to yet another top 10 draft pick.

The Bills are at least one more year away from realistically competing for a playoff spot in what is now the toughest division in football. They cannot hope to compete with the revamped Pat, Fins, and Jets with no marked improvement at LT, RT, WR, TE, and QB.

I would expect the starters for 2010 to look something like:

QB: T. Edwards (no improvement)

RB: F. Jackson

Flex RB/WR: CJ Spiller

TE: Nelson (no improvement)

WR: L. Evans

WR J. Hardy (no improvement)

LT: D. Bell (no improvement)

LG: Levitre

OC: Hangartner

RG: E. Wood

RT: C. Green (no improvement)

NT: T. Troupe

DT: M. Stroud

DT: D. Edwards

OLB: K. Mitchell

ILB: Poz

ILB: A. Davis

OLB: Schobel/Maybin

CB: McKelvin

CB: McGee

SS: Whitner/Scott (no improvement)

FS: Byrd

LS: Sanborn

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

PR: Spiller/Parrish

KR: Spiller/McKelvin

We have glaring weaknesses at QB, both OTs, at least one WR spot, at TE, and at SS. If Troupe doesn't play well at NT, our defense could be in big trouble.

This team would probably finish much better in a weaker division, but because of the six tough division games I'm expecting a 2010 record of 5-11 or 6-10 at best.

I guess you're right, if moving from Edwards/Fitz to Brohm/Brown = 'standing pat', but given the # of posts saying the Bills are 'sticking with Edwards' or 'Trent Edwards is named the starter', I'm growing more and more curious - exactly what part of...

"Every position, including QB, is wide open to competition,"

or...

"Right now we've got 3 QBs on the roster - we'd like to add a fourth before camp opens," (which they've now done)

...or the fact that the Bills drafted a QB in the 7th round that they are extremely high on, and that many knowledgeable scouts and pundits have called getting Levi Brown in round seven 'one of the great steals of this year's draft', seems to be interpreted as...

"The Bills are 'standing pat' at QB" ???? :flirt:

The Bills won't win a superbowl until a franchise QB is on the roster. They haven't had one since Kelly (Drew was close but over the hill by the time he got here) and I don't believe they have one on their roster now.

Doesn't mean Brown or Brohm won't surprise us all and become that player -- but the likelyhood of that happening is slim in my opinion.

Next year's QB class is deep. The Bills have to get their guy then. Even if it means trading up and forfeiting picks to do so.

Bills will go 11-5

Edwards will start and throw for 2900 yards 19 td's and 10 ints....

We will end the season with the number one rushing offense with 3000 yards rushing

Our defense will be a top ten defense...7th against the run and 10th against the pass

Our special teams will boast the best punt cover and kr/pr game in the league...

We will get blown out in the first round of the playoffs...GO BILLS

Another factor with not drafting a QB early is that perhaps the coaching staff feels the way we do about the previous regime's offensive coaches. If our team was in fact severely under coached, implemented poor schemes, and called plays poorly, it stands to reason that the new guys, Gailey in particular, would want to audition these guys under fire to see what we truly have. I must say that when it comes to pass protection Hangartner and our RBs were the primary culprits on 3rd down. Don't get me wrong, that is what I think I observed more so than our tackles just straight giving it up. It seemed like Jackson and Lynch missed a lot of assignments against the blitz.

Another factor with not drafting a QB early is that perhaps the coaching staff feels the way we do about the previous regime's offensive coaches. If our team was in fact severely under coached, implemented poor schemes, and called plays poorly, it stands to reason that the new guys, Gailey in particular, would want to audition these guys under fire to see what we truly have. I must say that when it comes to pass protection Hangartner and our RBs were the primary culprits on 3rd down. Don't get me wrong, that is what I think I observed more so than our tackles just straight giving it up. It seemed like Jackson and Lynch missed a lot of assignments against the blitz.

This not entirely true. There were some blown assignments yes, but by in large, both Marshawn and Jackson are excellent pass blockers. Jackson is better (for now) because Marshawn spent much of his college career going out for passes rather than blocking. But both made some tremendous blocks.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post. I'm a big believer that the Bills won't win till they get a franchise QB and I also don't think Edwards is the answer (jury's still out on Brohm). Fitz is downright awful. Brown? Color me unimpressed. Still, I don't think they should reach for any QB in the draft which is why I was fine with them passing up Clausen, Colt, Tebow and the rest. If they didn't believe there was a Franchise type QB in this draft, then by all means give Brohm and Edwards a chance to play and see what develops.

But if next year's QB class is as deep as people are predicting, they will have to make a move to secure one. Even if that means giving up high picks in multiple drafts to do so.

YES

2011 is a huge improvement in the quality of QB's that will be available.

I forsee th eBills drafting in the top 1/2 of the draft, and I see them be willing to move up to get a franchise arm in 2011

Bills will go 11-5

Edwards will start and throw for 2900 yards 19 td's and 10 ints....

We will end the season with the number one rushing offense with 3000 yards rushing

Our defense will be a top ten defense...7th against the run and 10th against the pass

Our special teams will boast the best punt cover and kr/pr game in the league...

We will get blown out in the first round of the playoffs...GO BILLS

Before you all acclaim that the "sky is falling" realize the free agency is not over. I doubt most of the rookies will start at any position besides special teams.

There is still a chance the Bills go after a decent LT. Also, I think if Chan Gailey is worth anything ...he can really help the offense improve from over the last 4 years.

If the Bills record this season is abysmal it will most likely be because of the transition to the 3-4.

Looking at the failure to address the O line and specifically the LT position, I think they will still win at least 6 games.

YES

2011 is a huge improvement in the quality of QB's that will be available.

I forsee th eBills drafting in the top 1/2 of the draft, and I see them be willing to move up to get a franchise arm in 2011

From your lips to God's ears ...

I have a horrible image of them finishing 6-10 or 8-8 and standing pat with the 15th pick while the top 4 arms go in the top 10.

This not entirely true. There were some blown assignments yes, but by in large, both Marshawn and Jackson are excellent pass blockers. Jackson is better (for now) because Marshawn spent much of his college career going out for passes rather than blocking. But both made some tremendous blocks.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post. I'm a big believer that the Bills won't win till they get a franchise QB and I also don't think Edwards is the answer (jury's still out on Brohm). Fitz is downright awful. Brown? Color me unimpressed. Still, I don't think they should reach for any QB in the draft which is why I was fine with them passing up Clausen, Colt, Tebow and the rest. If they didn't believe there was a Franchise type QB in this draft, then by all means give Brohm and Edwards a chance to play and see what develops.

But if next year's QB class is as deep as people are predicting, they will have to make a move to secure one. Even if that means giving up high picks in multiple drafts to do so.

You don't watch the games that closely bro. I saw key 3rd downs in every game that Jackson or Lynch were just as guilty as our o-line for whiffing. Situational football dude, when teams got after us on 3rd our RBs were blown up, game after game.

I would expect the starters for 2010 to look something like:

QB: T. Edwards (no improvement)

RB: F. Jackson

Flex RB/WR: CJ Spiller

TE: Nelson (no improvement)

WR: L. Evans

WR J. Hardy (no improvement)

LT: D. Bell (no improvement)

LG: Levitre

OC: Hangartner

RG: E. Wood

RT: C. Green (no improvement)

NT: T. Troupe

DT: M. Stroud

DT: D. Edwards

OLB: K. Mitchell

ILB: Poz

ILB: A. Davis

OLB: Schobel/Maybin

CB: McKelvin

CB: McGee

SS: Whitner/Scott (no improvement)

FS: Byrd

LS: Sanborn

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

PR: Spiller/Parrish

KR: Spiller/McKelvin

I disagree with your premise here. All the players you tagged as "no improvement" does not take into account another year under their belts, better coaching and a offensive scheme that will be more tailored to their skills. Nelson will be better because he's got a year of playing under his belt and will see a better scheme, etc. so your analysis is just faulty.

I guess you're right, if moving from Edwards/Fitz to Brohm/Brown = 'standing pat', but given the # of posts saying the Bills are 'sticking with Edwards' or 'Trent Edwards is named the starter', I'm growing more and more curious - exactly what part of...

"Every position, including QB, is wide open to competition,"

or...

"Right now we've got 3 QBs on the roster - we'd like to add a fourth before camp opens," (which they've now done)

...or the fact that the Bills drafted a QB in the 7th round that they are extremely high on, and that many knowledgeable scouts and pundits have called getting Levi Brown in round seven 'one of the great steals of this year's draft', seems to be interpreted as...

"The Bills are 'standing pat' at QB" ???? :flirt:

Love the post.

Expecting 7th round pick, Levi Brown, to improve this team in year 1 is outrageous. It's not going to happen.

Unless the Bills can acquire a much better LT AND C. Green proves that he can play RT, it's not going to matter who the Bills play at QB.

I'm hopeful that Brohm or Brown come out of nowhere to be better than average QBs, but that might be a lot to ask.

I think Nix would rather take his lumps this year, finish between 3-13 and 6-10, and then be in position to draft a franchise QB in 2011. Then and only then will you see him go out and sign proven veteran FAs to fill the holes that are needed to be filled.

You don't watch the games that closely bro. I saw key 3rd downs in every game that Jackson or Lynch were just as guilty as our o-line for whiffing. Situational football dude, when teams got after us on 3rd our RBs were blown up, game after game.

Agree to disagree. I watch RB blocking very closely as I used to coach it.

I would hardly call Whitner/Scott/Wilson a "Glaring Need" at SS

I have heard the Safety position changes a little with a switch to 3-4 as opposed to Jo-ron Tampa 2, 4-3. If true, strengths and weaknesses of each of the three may matter differently and could change the depth chart and how we rank what we have at SS.

Any football folks out there know if there is any truth to the claim of subtle differences?