Vote of Confidence in Edwards

Have to disagree that Trent has ever shown he could be a top 10 QB. He hasn't. The most he has shown is that he isn't JP Losman. That's it. Top 10 QBs in this league are the leaders of their team and take ownership, can throw to open WRs, pitch 300 yard games, and (most importantly) score points to win games. Trent doesn't and can't do any of that.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Have to disagree that Trent has ever shown he could be a top 10 QB. He hasn't. The most he has shown is that he isn't JP Losman. That's it. Top 10 QBs in this league are the leaders of their team and take ownership, can throw to open WRs, pitch 300 yard games, and (most importantly) score points to win games. Trent doesn't and can't do any of that.

Top ten QB's generally have top notch GM/ Coaching and supporting cast.( funny how that works)

Nobody knows what TE is capable of with the proper supporting cast, but I think we're about to find out.

It was a smart decision by Nix and Gailey to go with Trent as the starter in 2010. I think that it makes a lot of sense to give him one last chance, especially with a young team that is rebuilding.

The guy was horrendous last year. I get that. I watched the games. But he was put in an impossible situation with decision to gut the offensive line and the total chaos surrounding the strategic direction of the offense. He was shell-shocked. Fitzy was the better player to deal with the protection breakdowns and still go through the progressions.

But Nix and Gailey discounted the disaster of 2009 and focus instead on mid-2007 and early 2008 (including the Chargers game after his concussion) when Trent showed that he can be a top-10 NFL quarterback. He reacted to struggles by throwing coaches under the bus and that hurt him with teammates and led turds like Donte Whitner to jump all over him. That doesn't matter now because those coaches are gone and the losers like Whitner may soon be following them.

Trent could be gone in a year, but at least Gailey will have seen what he needs to see to make that call. He is almost certainly our 2010 starter.

I agree. I have no problem if he is the starter.

Why, because he doesn't scream and throw tantrums, or get in his teammates faces all the time?

Some of the best QB's that ever played the game were very low key and led by example on the football field.

Since things have not gone very well on the football field and with much of the blame going to his supporting cast, like protection, scheming, and play calling for instance, all of the sudden TE's not a good leader.

To say TE doesn't have the fire when he has always given his team 110% on every single play is just not true.

The list of successful NFL QBs who were very low key is a short one. Today the only one I see that would fit that mold would be E. Manning. P. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Favre are all guys that are passionate and fiery about the game of football. I have never seen Edwards exhibit any sort of passion for the game of football. I can see that the excuse train for Edwards is back in service. And here I thought there was going to be no more arguing over Edwards' utter failure as a starting QB. It's cool to be psyched about the drafted players, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that Edwards is ever going to amount to anything more than a career back up. Let's please keep it real here.

It was a smart decision by Nix and Gailey to go with Trent as the starter in 2010. I think that it makes a lot of sense to give him one last chance, especially with a young team that is rebuilding.

The guy was horrendous last year. I get that. I watched the games. But he was put in an impossible situation with decision to gut the offensive line and the total chaos surrounding the strategic direction of the offense. He was shell-shocked. Fitzy was the better player to deal with the protection breakdowns and still go through the progressions.

But Nix and Gailey discounted the disaster of 2009 and focus instead on mid-2007 and early 2008 (including the Chargers game after his concussion) when Trent showed that he can be a top-10 NFL quarterback. He reacted to struggles by throwing coaches under the bus and that hurt him with teammates and led turds like Donte Whitner to jump all over him. That doesn't matter now because those coaches are gone and the losers like Whitner may soon be following them.

Trent could be gone in a year, but at least Gailey will have seen what he needs to see to make that call. He is almost certainly our 2010 starter.

Last year wasn't his make or break season. This year is. The Bills finally have a good offensive mind coahing them. Gailey will get the most out of Trent and will work with him, restoring his confidence. I think Spiller's explosive versatility will add a whole new dimension to this team and Trent will benefit. Of course a lot of our offensive success, (who am I kidding), ALL of our offensive success hinges on the performance of the O line. I love Levitre and Wood but LT and RT are big ?s right now.

The strength of our run game will keep teams honest but with only one legit receiving threat, I fear we will see a lot of Cap'n Checkdown's signature move. Evans' effectiveness can easily be eliminated by double teams, which he will see a lot of. Until someone emerges opposite him, we're screwed. I can see Spiller making a lot of appearances in the slot. And here's hoping Shawn Nelson becomes a threat underneath and in the seam. And here's hoping James Hardy can live up to his tremendous physical abilities. And here's hoping Steve Johnson can re-capture some of that promise he showed early on.

Is it time to re-sign Owens yet? :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
The list of successful NFL QBs who were very low key is a short one. Today the only one I see that would fit that mold would be E. Manning. P. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Favre are all guys that are passionate and fiery about the game of football. I have never seen Edwards exhibit any sort of passion for the game of football. I can see that the excuse train for Edwards is back in service. And here I thought there was going to be no more arguing over Edwards' utter failure as a starting QB. It's cool to be psyched about the drafted players, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that Edwards is ever going to amount to anything more than a career back up. Let's please keep it real here.

That's your opinion, but I'll take my own and folks like Marv Levy and Bill Walsh's opinion over yours if its all the same to you.

I remember a time when I was going head to head with 75% of the board on Fred Jackson being a better RB then Marshawn Lynch, even made a fool of on the Tim Graham thread.

I'm not saying I'm always right because Jabari Greer proved just how wrong I can be, but I believe much more strongly in Trent Edwards then I ever did Fred Jackson and its more because of the gut feeling Trent Edwards is going to win a Championship one day,

and it damn sure better be for Buffalo :thumbsup:

Gailey has a knack for designing offenses around his talent. I think TE is a much better QB than most people think. If Gailey can resurrect him it will solve a huge problem for the Bills. Next years QB class is much better and it also gives Gailey a year to evaluate Brown.

Top ten QB's generally have top notch GM/ Coaching and supporting cast.( funny how that works)

Nobody knows what TE is capable of with the proper supporting cast, but I think we're about to find out.

We have a very good idea of what he is capable of. Let's put it this way, he was totally outplayed by a noodle-armed journeyman backup, the same QB that set an NFL record the previous year for the lowest yards per attempt in the modern NFL. Fitzpatrick was playing behind the same beat up "line", with the same "weapons", in the same knuckle-walking dumb offense. In a word: pathetic.

Clinging to the fantasy that Edwards can and will suddenly, and because of external factors no less, invest himself in the game and become a top-10 QB is simple self-delusion.

Guest dog14787
...and drafted another QB to join the competition - say bye-bye to Fanning-Fan

Ha, developmental practice squad fodder, funny

Sorry Charlie, your bid to have TE replaced is futile. The Bills have showed virtually zero interest in any available QB except Mcnab which is understandable.

Trent Edwards is our likely starter this season so you might as well get used to the idea Senator. ( Unless of course you can get Graham Harrell in here somehow)

I don't think Nix/Gailey were confident in Edwards so much as this...

They weren't enamored with Clausen, McCoy or anyone else in this draft class. Drafting a QB in the first round is historically a 50-50 proposition. The odds get progressively worse deeper in the draft. With so many needs, they couldn't afford a roll of the die on a low round pick.

Nix/Gaily don't know what they have. Edwards has been the victim of bad coaching, a weak line and poor game-planning. Brohm excelled in college but has little on his NFL resume. Fitz hasn't always been set up for success in his career thus far.

Given all this, I think they decided it would be best to pass on a top-tier QB this year and work with what they have. If necessary, get a QB next year when there are more NFL-calibre prospects.

Until I see something different, He's an injury prone wuss!! Time to move on IMO.

Guest dog14787
Until I see something different, He's an injury prone wuss!! Time to move on IMO.

Any QB becomes an injury prone wuss with piss poor scheming/play calling and protection, does that even register with some of you guys?

Mike Martz's Offense stopped working in the league long ago and until the new regime came into Buffalo remnants of that pathetic offense still lingered. Promotion after promotion from an offense that never worked to begin with and some wonder why TE or anyone else at the QB position struggled when in reality they never had a chance.

Are you living in the future- wormhole man? How do you know the Bills went with Trentative as the starter in 2010? Last I heard (in the present time) is that Levi will have a chance to fight for the starting position, as well as BB and Fitz.

Can you tell me how it works out for me and the girl from Canada?

I don't think Nix/Gailey were confident in Edwards so much as this...

They weren't enamored with Clausen, McCoy or anyone else in this draft class. Drafting a QB in the first round is historically a 50-50 proposition. The odds get progressively worse deeper in the draft. With so many needs, they couldn't afford a roll of the die on a low round pick.

Nix/Gaily don't know what they have. Edwards has been the victim of bad coaching, a weak line and poor game-planning. Brohm excelled in college but has little on his NFL resume. Fitz hasn't always been set up for success in his career thus far.

Given all this, I think they decided it would be best to pass on a top-tier QB this year and work with what they have. If necessary, get a QB next year when there are more NFL-calibre prospects.

Victim? Save the tears. The only victims here are Bill fans who will be subjected to yet another year of watching Trent Edwards under center.

Why, because he doesn't scream and throw tantrums, or get in his teammates faces all the time?

Some of the best QB's that ever played the game were very low key and led by example on the football field.

Time to start calling you on some of your ramblings.

Name some of these Trent-esque QBs.

Since things have not gone very well on the football field and with much of the blame going to his supporting cast, like protection, scheming, and play calling for instance, all of the sudden TE's not a good leader.

Amazingly, Fitzpatrick who is supposed to be worse than Edwards, produced more with essentially with the same people.

Yet, we didn't hear him complaining about "mixed signals" from the coaching staff.

Maybe Edwards was receiving "mixed signals" because he wasn't doing anything he was being told or expected to do.

Leaders rally the troops. Leaders expect communication. If it doesn't happen, they initiate it.

They do NOT sit on the sideline with their thumb up their ass.

To say TE doesn't have the fire when he has always given his team 110% on every single play is just not true.

You got some proof of this (even vague), or do you just "hope" this statement is true?

Any QB becomes an injury prone wuss with piss poor scheming/play calling and protection, does that even register with some of you guys?

Mike Martz's Offense stopped working in the league long ago and until the new regime came into Buffalo remnants of that pathetic offense still lingered. Promotion after promotion from an offense that never worked to begin with and some wonder why TE or anyone else at the QB position struggled when in reality they never had a chance.

There were several opportunities to throw the ball down field last year, but TE was to scared to give his play makers (mainly TO and Lee) a chance and he would do his "Captain Checkdown" thing.

I'd love to admit that I'm wrong and will if he proves otherwise....but until then...Like I said before...WUSS!!!