This team can go 8-8 this year...if not better.

DarthICE

The overall record doesn't matter. In fact, I expect us to be a very bad team in the first half of the season due to the learning curve under a brand new coaching staff and the new systems that come with it.

What matters is that the team is better at the end of the season than at the beginning and shows signs of being well-coached and having hope at the QB position.

I would take 5-11 right now if that meant the Bills go 1-7 the first half of the season and 4-4 in the second half with Brohm or Brown playing well in the starter's role in November and December. That's really the best-case scenario, imo.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I don't do drugs, and it is way too early for me to be drinking so YES I am serious and here is why.

1. Coaching is better. ANYONE is an improvement over Jauron, VanPelt etal.

2. The talent has improved. No way in hell do we suck this year as badly as we did against the run. The 3-4 should bring more pressure allowing our good DB corp to make more turnovers.

This OL produced the 16th rated running game in the NFL last year as well as a 1000 yard rusher. Spiller has 10x the talent our other RB's do, plus I don't see us having as many OL injuries this year. We will be improved.

3. We lost 6 games by a total of like 20 points.

I feel this team is going to do better than most people think!

I'd like to think we will surprise some teams, but I think we will be one-dimensional. The Bills will win (when they win) with the running game and special teams. The defense SHOULD be better, but not in the top 10. I think we will have close to the same won/loss record in 2010, but less stupid losses. Also, we will not be able to play from behind. At least that's how it looks on paper in April 2010..

First off I don't do drugs, and it is way too early for me to be drinking so YES I am serious and here is why.

2. The talent has improved. No way in hell do we suck this year as badly as we did against the run. The 3-4 should bring more pressure allowing our good DB corp to make more turnovers.

This OL produced the 16th rated running game in the NFL last year as well as a 1000 yard rusher. Spiller has 10x the talent our other RB's do, plus I don't see us having as many OL injuries this year. We will be improved.

I agree Darth. Our defense had a lot of turnovers, with no pressure on the QB and terrible stopping the run. With bigger guys up front, our DB's should have no problem getting much more turnovers than last season.

Dick Jauron & co were one of the worst coaching staffs in Bills history. I know a lot of people are ready to throw in the towel on Trent Edwards & some other players, but anyone on our offense could have underachieved with the lousy coaching staff we've had over the last 4 years.

I'd like to think we will surprise some teams, but I think we will be one-dimensional. The Bills will win (when they win) with the running game and special teams. The defense SHOULD be better, but not in the top 10. I think we will have close to the same won/loss record in 2010, but less stupid losses. Also, we will not be able to play from behind. At least that's how it looks on paper in April 2010..

I could see the Bills D improve to the Top 15 by the end of the year, maybe further dependingif Schobel somes back and if Maybin can excel as an OLB. It will take some time, just look at the Jets D last year, by the end of the season, they were a powerhouse.

I agree that we are an improved team. We can run the ball decently and can stop it on defense now. But no matter how you look at it we're going into next year without a somewhat decent QB or LT. So, 6-10, 7-9 this year, but with another good draft next year, (that includes a QB), i can see a 8-8 or better team. GO BILLS.

I agree that we are an improved team. We can run the ball decently and can stop it on defense now. But no matter how you look at it we're going into next year without a somewhat decent QB or LT. So, 6-10, 7-9 this year, but with another good draft next year, (that includes a QB), i can see a 8-8 or better team. GO BILLS.

I still think we can break even but here is the deal, if we go 7-9 but are making progress at the end of the season, I will be damn happy and so should every Bills fans.

I still think we can break even but here is the deal, if we go 7-9 but are making progress at the end of the season, I will be damn happy and so should every Bills fans.

Oh yeah me too. I'm not saying there's no way we'll do well next year, just that it'll probably take another year because we still don't have a proven QB.

The schedule is a little more favorable as well, I think.

1. We say that every time there is a coaching change.

2. Debatable but at least arguable.

3. How many games did our opponents give us last year? Jets, Dolphins, Panthers, Colts are 4 that come to mind.

1. We say that every time there is a coaching change.

2. Debatable but at least arguable.

3. How many games did our opponents give us last year? Jets, Dolphins, Panthers, Colts are 4 that come to mind.

That Colts win still kills me (although it was nice to end the season on a winning note). We should have been picking at around 6 or 7, but we screwed it all up by winning the last game :wallbash:

So we got what we got and we'll see what happens . . .

Let's get real. We are wasting far too much time speculating our arses off about anything being discussed about player personnel, who plays what position, who the QB will be, what our record will be, etc. until we get through all the potential trades, FA acquisitions, training camps and preseason. We will have an all new playbook with a completely overhauled coaching staff and FO, many different players in starting positions......it's anybodies guess what is going to happen! We need to give it time for the philosophical change to take root and bare fruit. The relationship and trust between players and coaches needs to mature along with the team to adjust to all the changes. I wouldn't expect much next year.

That said, I think there is a general feeling that we are on the right track.

We have a defense!!!!!!! That's about all I can say about this upcoming season. Spiller is a playmaker but without an O-line and a QB Spiller, Lynch, Evans, Jackson, and anyother skill position player (Nelson the only one I can think of with actual playmaking ability unless Parrish thrives in the Gailey System) is being put in a compromised position that will limit their potential.

Now our shiny new 3-4 on the other hand gives me the impression that we will be in a position to win some games based on our ability to stop the run and our really good secondary.

Our D-line is going to look like this

Stroud-Troup/Williams-Edwards with Carrington and Spencer Johnson coming off the bench.

Our LB core looks like

MLB's- Poz and Andre Davis with Mitchell coming off the bench.

OLB's- Maybin and Schobel with Kelsay and Batten and Mitchell coming off the bench.

Add in our secondary is really good our D is at least above average. Our front 7 might not be spectacular but even if they are average our D looks to be in good shape. Had our front 7 been able to stop the run at even a ranked 19th capacity we would have won 2 more games. So all in all just having a compete front 7 makes this teams D much better.

i say 5-11 at best.

totally new Offense

totally new Defense

totally will take time

New scheme, new coaches, new lines, new system, no established QB, no established OL, new DL, etc.

I will bet huge amounts that the Bills don't reach 8-8.

You just don't have the ingredients yet. This optimism is completely unjustifiable to the neutral observer.

New scheme, new coaches, new lines, new system, no established QB, no established OL, new DL, etc.

I will bet huge amounts that the Bills don't reach 8-8.

You just don't have the ingredients yet. This optimism is completely unjustifiable to the neutral observer.

Bottom Line, if this team stays healthy then it will compete in every game this year. Everybody forgets the real culprit in ****ty past seasons, horrible injury issues. Wth a defense that can hang, the best RB trio in the league, and average play from the QB position, you bet your ass this team will be right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>There!

You're excited about 8-8? Everything you wrote is true, but they sucked and were 9-7.

We have a defense!!!!!!! That's about all I can say about this upcoming season. Spiller is a playmaker but without an O-line and a QB Spiller, Lynch, Evans, Jackson, and anyother skill position player (Nelson the only one I can think of with actual playmaking ability unless Parrish thrives in the Gailey System) is being put in a compromised position that will limit their potential.

Now our shiny new 3-4 on the other hand gives me the impression that we will be in a position to win some games based on our ability to stop the run and our really good secondary.

Our D-line is going to look like this

Stroud-Troup/Williams-Edwards with Carrington and Spencer Johnson coming off the bench.

Our LB core looks like

MLB's- Poz and Andre Davis with Mitchell coming off the bench.

OLB's- Maybin and Mitchell Schobel with Kelsay and Batten and Moats coming off the bench.

Add in our secondary is really good our D is at least above average. Our front 7 might not be spectacular but even if they are average our D looks to be in good shape. Had our front 7 been able to stop the run at even a ranked 19th capacity we would have won 2 more games. So all in all just having a compete front 7 makes this teams D much better.

Fixed?

Here's what is hard for me to get an assessment on:

Last year, during the preseason we FIRED our OC because our head coach wanted a "simplified" offense. A week before the season opener we cut our starting LT. That type of chaos and a simplified offense crippled our ability to score points.

How hard do you think it was for opposing defenses to diagnose our plays and personnel schemes. Hell they probably knew what we were going to run before we did.

There's no way we can't be improved is there?

I hate to defend Jaron, but lets face it he was a lame duck coach and he was just trying to whatever he could to try and win some games so that he wouldn't get fire. Ultimately the decisions he made just prior to the season lead to his departure and left us with a losing record. Last years performance was a reflection of poor coaching, I think Chan and his staff can breath new life into the players we have. Bills fans need to get behind Chan and help him reshape this once proud franchise!!!!

Here's what is hard for me to get an assessment on:

Last year, during the preseason we FIRED our OC because our head coach wanted a "simplified" offense. A week before the season opener we cut our starting LT. That type of chaos and a simplified offense crippled our ability to score points.

How hard do you think it was for opposing defenses to diagnose our plays and personnel schemes. Hell they probably knew what we were going to run before we did.

There's no way we can't be improved is there?

exactly! +1

While I don't agree with your optimism in terms of their record (I see us winning 5-6 games) you could also add in injuries to your case. The Bills have been one of the most injured teams the past few seasons. If they can avoid the injury bug this year it will also improve their chances.

Our offensive and defensive backfields (except QB spot) are top notched. Our WRs and TEs are below average. Our offensive line is pourous. Our defense is new with several key players not a good fit for their position -- Stroud, Williams, Kelsay, etc. Our LB corp is below average. Our Offensive and Defensive schemes will be new. Our QB is below average.

We may win 4. We should win 2.