Spiller + Edwards =

A match made in heaven?

I'm not really advocating for this, but does anyone think that Spiller might be the perfect compliment to Captain Checkdown?

Maybe Gailey et al. do and obviously see the potential for big plays resulting from dump-offs to Spiller in the flat.

Conversely, whoever is our QB is going to see the middle of the field open if defenses are forced to respect the threat of an outside swing pass. I see big things for Shawn Nelson this year, and whichever of our WRs wind up in the slot or find themselves slanting across the middle.

Of course we need to wait to see who else is drafted- but as it stands I'm pumped that Spiller alone instantly improves our ENTIRE offense!

I think that would be valid if we were bringing back the same staff. Gailey is a far more accomplished tactician than anyone we've had in Buffalo since Marchibroda.

Let's be clear on one thing, Gailey is not anything remotely like the combo of Jauron/Schoenert. He excels at offensive game planning and his offense WILL distribute the ball.

No one should be happier with this pick than Fred Jackson and Lee Evan. Hell even Roscoe might see some touches.

hahaha, wowww, digging into the kool-aid a little early this morning??

Exactly. And no way in hell we go into the season with Tardwards as our QB. Ticket sales will drop like a rock. We will take a QB that will win the 'competition' in camp at some point.

I'd bet anything Edwards starts the season at QB, barring a trade for an established QB like Jason Campell.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
A match made in heaven?

I'm not really advocating for this, but does anyone think that Spiller might be the perfect compliment to Captain Checkdown?

Maybe Gailey et al. do and obviously see the potential for big plays resulting from dump-offs to Spiller in the flat.

Conversely, whoever is our QB is going to see the middle of the field open if defenses are forced to respect the threat of an outside swing pass. I see big things for Shawn Nelson this year, and whichever of our WRs wind up in the slot or find themselves slanting across the middle.

Of course we need to wait to see who else is drafted- but as it stands I'm pumped that Spiller alone instantly improves our ENTIRE offense!

I was thinking of posting this myself, but figured folks would say yep, just another angle for dog (the mans best friend) to praise the Holy Trent.

Spiller can take a dump off and go all the way any time he touches the ball.

Smart, accurate QB with a faster read/react time then the fastest Gun slinger in the world (scientifically proven)

Myself personally, I'm very confident Trent Edwards can run the type offense that Gailey wants to implement and our 3 headed beast of a ground attack with the addition of Spiller and the emergence of Nelson at the TE positition would practically be unstoppable.

Unless the o-line gets fixed the only thing the qb is going to see is the sky or the turf. All the fast running backs and TO aren't going to right that situation.

Good point.

For all the you tube links pointing out the Spiller highlight films, I got one nobody wants to see.

Just search on you tube "Alabama Clemson 2008 football"

Here's a quick summary:

CJ Spiller

Rushing -

2 attempts for 7 yards, longest was 8 yards

Receiving -

2 catches for 27 yards

but he did have a 96 yard KO return for a TD

And no, he was not hurt before or during the game.

Clemson got destroyed 34-10.

This is what happens when a "speed" backs OL cannot get a push for the running game, and the OL is getting blown up in the passing game.

And before anybody gets their panties in a twist, I am not calling this draft a "waste" or a "joke".

I realize the draft is far from over, and the draft itself will be judged on ALL picks.

But you will excuse me if I do not get "giddy" over drafting a situational/role type player

(and yes, every scouting report I have read lists Spiller as such. Not a single one states he is or will be an every down player) until I see if the Bills plan on getting other players that allows them to take advantage of Spiller's speed.

I'd like to agree with the OP but I get the feeling Edwards' confidence is shot. Until he shows he's not afraid to make a mistake and take chances downfield, teams will just wait on his dump-offs to Spiller like they do now with Jackson et al. Spiller WILL help our QBs by running and forcing Ds to respect his speed and playmaking ability but, again, I question whether our QBs are good enough to take advantage.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest dog14787
Good point.

For all the you tube links pointing out the Spiller highlight films, I got one nobody wants to see.

Here's a quick summary:

CJ Spiller

Rushing -

Receiving -

2 catches for 27 yards

This is what happens when a "speed" backs OL cannot get a push for the running game, and the OL is getting blown up in the passing game.

And before anybody gets their panties in a twist, I am not calling this draft a "waste" or a "joke".

I realize the draft is far from over, and the draft itself will be judged on ALL picks.

But you will excuse me if I do not get "giddy" over drafting a situational/role type player

(and yes, every scouting report I have read lists Spiller as such. Not a single one states he is or will be an every down player) until I see if the Bills plan on getting other players that allows them to take advantage of Spiller's speed.

The guy has over 50 TD's in 4 years, he can run for a TD, catch for a TD and even throw TD's.

Spiller just stepping onto the field is going to slow down the pass rush in my opinion.

Good point.

Here's a quick summary:

CJ Spiller

Rushing -

Receiving -

2 catches for 27 yards

Well giddy for you.

To be fair Cynical, you also leave out that he was the 1B to James Davis in that game, which gave him even less touches. At the time, Bowden I believe let Spiller only do third down and outside work (unlike Dabo who used him in all facets on offense his senior year).

Also, Clemson's defense was a sieve and Alabama ran a ton, which also helped to make that game go by with even Spiller not being able to help (despite the aforementioned KR).

Good point.

Here's a quick summary:

CJ Spiller

Rushing -

Receiving -

2 catches for 27 yards

That's what happens when your opponent limits your best weapon to only two, count 'em TWO attempts. Not a reflection on Spiller at all. Why was he only given the ball twice? How many total pass attempts were made to him in that game? On the surface, it looks like 'Bama must have TOTALLY dominated the TOP stat, got ahead, and forced an inferior team to play catchup by having to throw. How did his QB do in that game? It'd be nice to get input from someone that saw the game.

Yet he still managed to score in a game where he only had four touches from the LOS. Pretty damn impressive.

I'd also mentiont that it was a game from his JUNIOR season and that there's a chance he's improved A LOT since then.

GO BILLS!!!

You left out some variables in your equation. Spiller + Edwards + Gailey + six more rounds in the draft = ??????

I believe we have something to work with here. Gailey will have a much higher percentage of quality plays than the Jauron led team. Spiller is also a quality receiver and returner. We just improved in three areas with a single pick.

The guy has over 50 TD's in 4 years, he can run for a TD, catch for a TD and even throw TD's.

Spiller just stepping onto the field is going to slow down the pass rush in my opinion.

The only thing that will slow down a pass rush is the belief the QB will beat them down field.

And since Trentative refuses to attack the field, choosing instead to constantly dump it off, defenses will sit on those short routes, just waiting for Trent to toss the ball.

It will not matter how fast Spiller is, his speed will be negated by the ball being intercepted, or having a defensive player in his face as soon as he catches the ball. Spiller's strength is not in breaking tackles, even arm tackles. Put a hand on him, and he's going down.

A match made in heaven?

The checkdown gets you nothing if you don't have the constant real threat of the deep ball. The biggest problem I see with this though is if Spiller starts taking Captain Checkdown 5 yd passes to the house with 50 YAC per, jackasses will start saying how good Trent is and his average yards per completion is high when it is really all the RB.

A match made in heaven?

spiller is a great slot receiver. can you imagine our 4 receiver set with evans and johnson on the outside and spiller and roscoe in the slots. i get a woddy just thinking about it!

defenses are going to have their hands full!

Guest dog14787
I'd like to agree with the OP but I get the feeling Edwards' confidence is shot. Until he shows he's not afraid to make a mistake and take chances downfield, teams will just wait on his dump-offs to Spiller like they do now with Jackson et al. Spiller WILL help our QBs by running and forcing Ds to respect his speed and playmaking ability but, again, I question whether our QBs are good enough to take advantage.

GO BILLS!!!

Its comments like this I don't get because TE's not afraid of anything in my opinion, but he's not stupid and he does need enough time and protection to throw intermediate and long. I mean wouldn't someone be allot more afraid of getting slammed to the ground and twisted up like a pretzel while he's trying to let the play develop.

Get blindsided to many times as a QB and your internal clock gets sped up and you start checking the ball down prematurely.

Proper game planning and protection solves the problem in my opinion.

I think that would be valid if we were bringing back the same staff. Gailey is a far more accomplished tactician than anyone we've had in Buffalo since Marchibroda.

Arians and Gilbride were on Superbowl winning teams and Hennig has been extremely successful in many places

spiller is a great slot receiver. can you imagine our 4 receiver set with evans and johnson on the outside and spiller and roscoe in the slots. i get a woddy just thinking about it!

defenses are going to have their hands full!

I would like to replace Parrish with Hardy or Dexter McCluster

Guest dog14787
The only thing that will slow down a pass rush is the belief the QB will beat them down field.

And since Trentative refuses to attack the field, choosing instead to constantly dump it off, defenses will sit on those short routes, just waiting for Trent to toss the ball.

It will not matter how fast Spiller is, his speed will be negated by the ball being intercepted, or having a defensive player in his face as soon as he catches the ball. Spiller's strength is not in breaking tackles, even arm tackles. Put a hand on him, and he's going down.

You need to watch more film on Spiller because you can't tackle what you can't catch and allot less blitzing will be going on with him in the backfield because when he breaks the first line of defense and gets into open space he could go all the way.

Its comments like this I don't get because TE's not afraid of anything in my opinion, but he's not stupid and he does need enough time and protection to throw intermediate and long. I mean wouldn't someone be allot more afraid of getting slammed to the ground and twisted up like a pretzel while he's trying to let the play develop.

Get blindsided to many times as a QB and your internal clock gets sped up and you start checking the ball down prematurely.

Proper game planning and protection solves the problem in my opinion.

I wouldn't make this comment unless I've witnessed personally and on some tapes that there are just too many instances where he has a guy downfield, where that route is the first read, and he simply chooses to ignore it. I wish I was wrong but I don't think I am.

One also needs time to go through his progressions, something Edwards is VERY good at. But again, even when given that time there are too many instances where he ignores the primary receiver and looks to make the safe play. There is nothing inherently wrong with making safe plays for positive yards. Every QB is taught to do that. But there IS something wrong when guys are open and not getting the ball on a consistent basis.

Something changed in Edwards and he hasn't been the same and I say it's his confidence. He's playing scared. Some of that has to do with his confidence in his OL and justifiably so. But much of it also has to do with his simple decision NOT to make an attempt when there are guys open.

GO BILLS!!!

Big difference. Owens wasn't running routes that a QB can checkdown and throw it to him. On the other hand, an elusive pass receiving RB coming out of the backfield is the perfect fit to get those checkdown throws & make something happen. By the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the top 3 receivers on this team are Spiller & Jackson.

OMG!

I swear if the Bills had drafted a water boy 1st TSW would be praising it as the answer to all that's wrong with the Bills. "He's got good speed so he'll be able to get those water bottles out on the field faster. He's got freakish strength so he can carry more water. He's a smart guy so he'll get the best spring water he can find." Come on people he's Fred Jackson part II. I'll say it right here and now... If he runs for more yards than than Jackson did this past year I'll be the first to admit I was wrong!