Drafting--Quality v Need

Casey D

Let's explore people's thinking on this, in terms of the Spiller pick, and info from NGU.

Buffalo has big needs at QB, OT and DT, also LB. By the time the Bills picked, the two highest graded OTs are gone, the best LB, and no DTor QB has a high first round grade. Spiller has by far the highest grade on you board when the Bills pick--what do you do?

If you are trying to build a team by getting the best players, you take Spiller. If you draft for need, you take Bulaga or D. Williams or Claussen --which the remainder of the draft indicates that any of them would have been a tremendous reach.

I don't see how a team with as many holes as the Bills ever gets better by taking lesser talent at positions they have a current need. Isn't that what the Bills have been doing for years? Maybe taking the best player available is something people only like in theory, but not in practice. That seems to be Sullivan's position, who yesterday wrote basically the Bills should draft talent, but today says Spiller is a bad pick because he does not fill a need.

Perhaps people will say trade down, but let's leave that option off the table until the draft is complete, and we see what else we get. Trading down means getting quantity v quality, which is a legitimate strategy but we need to see how our other picks pan out to determine if more picks would have been a better way to go. We amy trade Lynch today a gain picks, for all I know

So which is it? What should Nix do? What would you do?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We didnt draft either. We didnt have a need a kick returner, and kick returners should not be drafted in the top 10. Spiller is not a three down NFL running back - he is a gimmick player. Out of the 22 field players, only FB is less important that tailback. We just drafted a guy whos primary role is kick returner and whose position holds littel value on a football team.

The Bills made their pick in like 1 minute. They didnt try to trade back - which they could have down seeing all the trading that went on - and they could have gotten Spiller later on. Then they try to trade up later in the draft... with what? We dont have any extra picks as ammo. Of Coarse Denver is going to win out when they actually have picks to draft. Dummer than a bag of hammers.

I am speechless.

Let's explore people's thinking on this, in terms of the Spiller pick, and info from NGU.

Buffalo has big needs at QB, OT and DT, also LB. By the time the Bills picked, the two highest graded OTs are gone, the best LB, and no DTor QB has a high first round grade. Spiller has by far the highest grade on you board when the Bills pick--what do you do?

If you are trying to build a team by getting the best players, you take Spiller. If you draft for need, you take Bulaga or D. Williams or Claussen --which the remainder of the draft indicates that any of them would have been a tremendous reach.

I don't see how a team with as many holes as the Bills ever gets better by taking lesser talent at positions they have a current need. Isn't that what the Bills have been doing for years? Maybe taking the best player available is something people only like in theory, but not in practice. That seems to be Sullivan's position, who yesterday wrote basically the Bills should draft talent, but today says Spiller is a bad pick because he does not fill a need.

Perhaps people will say trade down, but let's leave that option off the table until the draft is complete, and we see what else we get. Trading down means getting quantity v quality, which is a legitimate strategy but we need to see how our other picks pan out to determine if more picks would have been a better way to go. We amy trade Lynch today a gain picks, for all I know

If Nix et al can find talent deep into the draft its a good move and strategy. If not, we have a crowded backfield, two really good kick returners (McK and Spiller) and are in for a long stretch to of rebuilding. Eventually you have to address gaps in the roster too.

+1 Take talent every time. Jerry Sullivan is not all bad but he's being a little b!tch right now by going both ways. Cant make a whiny patriots fan happy with anything. Why doesn't he just go back to boston and write there?

I still hold out hope that we get Jimmy Clausen this evening. Just because he wasn't taken in the first by anyone else does not mean my opinion of the guy has changed. If we are able to get Spiller and Clausen in the same draft? Wow! I would've never thought that. I like the Spiller pick. If he was the highest rated player on our board, so be it. I'm glad to have him instead of Dan Williams, Morgan, Graham, a WR, or another DB. Those of us who are realistic know that this is not a 1 year turnaround for us. We were not just a couple of pieces away. We are building with the best talent available and if that talent fills an obvious need, great. If it's still making our team better I'm all for it. The 2nd round was pretty good to us last year (Byrd and Levitre) so I just hope the trend continues.

We didnt draft either. We didnt have a need a kick returner, and kick returners should not be drafted in the top 10. Spiller is not a three down NFL running back - he is a gimmick player. Out of the 22 field players, only FB is less important that tailback. We just drafted a guy whos primary role is kick returner and whose position holds littel value on a football team.

The Bills made their pick in like 1 minute. They didnt try to trade back - which they could have down seeing all the trading that went on - and they could have gotten Spiller later on. Then they try to trade up later in the draft... with what? We dont have any extra picks as ammo. Of Coarse Denver is going to win out when they actually have picks to draft. Dummer than a bag of hammers.

I am speechless.

You are flat out wrong!!! Spiller was their guy and there's no way he would have lasted had they traded down.

I usually agree with the beloved OBD darling (!!) Jerry Sullivan, but I think he's off-base today.

For once, in a heck of a long time, we actually select one of the consensus best players in the entire draft - and we don't "reach" for him. Yes, the Bills have a boatload of needs, and RB may not have been at the top, but an offensive playmaker is definitely included in that list.

I'm willing to give Buddy&Co. the benefit of the doubt on this. Net/net, the draft just started - there's a long way to go - and we already have one of the best players that was on the board.

I am speechless.

OK--your position is that they are bad talent evaluators--that Spiller did not deserve the high grade the Bills gave him. Got it.

OK--your position is that they are bad talent evaluators--that Spiller did not deserve the high grade the Bills gave him. Got it.

Given their activity in FA and selection of a head coach, I don't think that is too much of a reach. Look at the work in whole.

I usually agree with the beloved OBD darling (!!) Jerry Sullivan, but I think he's off-base today.

For once, in a heck of a long time, we actually select one of the consensus best players in the entire draft - and we don't "reach" for him. Yes, the Bills have a boatload of needs, and RB may not have been at the top, but an offensive playmaker is definitely included in that list.

I'm willing to give Buddy&Co. the benefit of the doubt on this. Net/net, the draft just started - there's a long way to go - and we already have one of the best players that was on the board.

This seems right to me. What the Bills need to do is get "value" with every pick--that is a player who will have an impact beyond his draft position. That is hard to do, but it is the only way to elevate your talent level and become competitive. Thus in Round 2, if the Bills could get an LT whose production is close to Okung or T Williams, they get value. Seems to me when you are in as deep a talent hole as the Bills, that is what you need to do.

Given their activity in FA and selection of a head coach, I don't think that is too much of a reach. Look at the work in whole.

That may be right--there is nothing I personally can do about flat out bad decision makers. I can't reach that conclusion of this new regime based on one pick If you feel that way, you may be better off following a team that better emulates how you would do things--otherwise you will simply be angry and frustrated all the time.

show me the baby...if he gets nine wins next year with spiller, fine. I don't know how he expects to do it with an offensive line that's a joke and new defense that doesn't have the personnel to run it, but as long as he wins, who cares about the labor pains?

I am speechless.

At first I was dumbfounded when the Bills took Spillar. As some local media commentators stated they felt he was a luxury pick. But after the burst of first emotion settles this pick makes some sense. With Spiller the Bills get a PLAYMAKER on offense which they sorely lack. Even if he is not going to be overloaded with carries he is still an explosive runner and receiver. In addition, he is also a premier punt and kick off player.

You stated that the Bills could have moved down and taken Spiller later. I'm not sure that would have happened. There was a lot of talk that Jacksonville, the next drafting team, was also very enamored with Spiller.

Let's see what the Bills do with their remaining picks. If the Bills can get OT Saffold, Brown or even Campbell with their next pick then the Spiller pick would be more enhanced. The Bills are not going to address all their needs from this draft. All you can ask from them is to get value at where they make their picks. Even those commentators who questioned the pick will acknowledge that Spiller is a top tier talent.

Sullivan is right again ...this is Mcgahee redux. This is managements resignation to provide some excitement for what they think will be a bad team for the forseeable future. This is the antithesis of rebuilding.

The Bills are rebuilding-you don't rebuild by reaching for needs with top ten picks.

You have it exactly right. Spiller was the best player available to the Bills. He is as close to a sure thing as it gets. He can be used in multiple ways that give them help right now. He is not only running help but receiving help. Running backs have the least difficult time of any position adjusting to the NFL. All that being said I would have loved to see a LT, NT, DE, OLB at number 9. None were deemed worthy at 9 and no trade was available so we will live with it.

Remember they are multiple drafts away from being a contender the other positions of need will have to wait until later in the draft or perhaps one or two years down the road.

That seems to be Sullivan's position, who yesterday wrote basically the Bills should draft talent, but today says Spiller is a bad pick because he does not fill a need.

Ignore Sully. His only function is to agitate/stroke for $0.75 a day.

Set 'em up to knock 'em down is columnist Rule One...

show me the baby...if he gets nine wins next year with spiller, fine. I don't know how he expects to do it with an offensive line that's a joke and new defense that doesn't have the personnel to run it, but as long as he wins, who cares about the labor pains?

Nine wins is not happening next year no matter who they drafted.

I just read the grades for round one from NFLFanhouse.com and they gave the Bills a D+, mainly because all the needs were avoided and we already have Fred Jackson. The only team in the entire first round graded lower than us was the Jaguars.