Next December 12th

On Thursday we will be drafting our 1st round pick. By the time we pick, the best players at our biggest positions of need, LT, QB & NT will be off the board. We'll have to settle for a 1st round talent who is not likely to be the impact player we need. Now, lets remember those meaningless games that we won late in the season-for all those who felt so good when we won them, now enjoy watching the best players go off the board by pick nine. My point is that this team sucks & when you suck it's better to lose those games in November & December if you have any hope of getting the type of player that can finally end the years of losing. Do you think we get all of those 4 AFC championships without Bruce Smith?

Now let's fast forward to next December. Odds are pretty good we're not going to be in the playoff hunt. In fact odds are pretty good we'll be in position for a top 5 pick in the draft. When the home game against the Browns on December 12th is here, try to remember that empty feeling we're having this Thursday as Okung, Bradford, Suh, and the guys rated 2nd best at LT & DL go flying off the board long before pick 9. Now some of you will be rooting hard for win #3, 4 or 5 of the season, but please, don't get on the cases of the people like me who will be remembering this Thursday & would rather not experience the "good feeling" of seeing the Bills win their 4th game at the expense of losing out on a player who could be instrumental in turning this franchise around for the next decade.

Do you really think that being a couple of spots lower in the draft would be the difference in turning the franchise around? The Rams and Lions have been picking in the top couple spots for the last few years and they haven't turned themselves around. Its not where you pick, but what you do with your picks.

On Thursday we will be drafting our 1st round pick. By the time we pick, the best players at our biggest positions of need, LT, QB & NT will be off the board. We'll have to settle for a 1st round talent who is not likely to be the impact player we need. Now, lets remember those meaningless games that we won late in the season-for all those who felt so good when we won them, now enjoy watching the best players go off the board by pick nine.

31 of the 38 positional players voted to the 2010 AFC Pro Bowl Team were either drafted outside the top 10 or not drafted at all.

There's the Buffalo-style resilience I've been waiting to see here again! Yeah guys, the first 8-10 games didn't go so well, so lets just lay down and allow the Fish, Jets and Pats to wipe their asses with us... I'm sure the League and our season ticket holders will appreciate it! Then we can get into position to draft Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams! Success!

Teams like Philly and New England have been further back in the draft for how long? Wheeling and dealing, picking up multiple picks in the middle rounds, etc. and they seem to remain competitive...

There's the Buffalo-style resilience I've been waiting to see here again! Yeah guys, the first 8-10 games didn't go so well, so lets just lay down and allow the Fish, Jets and Pats to wipe their asses with us... I'm sure the League and our season ticket holders will appreciate it! Then we can get into position to draft Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams! Success!

Teams like Philly and New England have been further back in the draft for how long? Wheeling and dealing, picking up multiple picks in the middle rounds, etc. and they seem to remain competitive...

Look at a team like the Colts, they don't wheel and deal and still draft at the bottom of the rounds every year and stay competitive too.

Its not where you draft, its how/what you draft.

Don't draft specifically for need, Best player available is better then best player available at the that time at a needed position.

like herm says, "you play to win the game".

...or any player or real fan.

As much as a fantasy world as you live in, do you, OP, really think that the players would throw games for a !@#$ing pick?

These are professional athletes, and they have an immense amount of pride, they will not lose on purpose. I think Trent's comments, when he first spoke about Gailey and Co. are telling. Richard Jauron and his band of gypsies were a cluster !@#$. They wanted to win, and were as tired of playing "not to lose" as we were. It also spoke that there were no real leaders. A little coaching and a real GM will change this team dramatically.

All the players you think are so bad, will surprise you. I guarantee it.

On Thursday we will be drafting our 1st round pick. By the time we pick, the best players at our biggest positions of need, LT, QB & NT will be off the board. We'll have to settle for a 1st round talent who is not likely to be the impact player we need. Now, lets remember those meaningless games that we won late in the season-for all those who felt so good when we won them, now enjoy watching the best players go off the board by pick nine. My point is that this team sucks & when you suck it's better to lose those games in November & December if you have any hope of getting the type of player that can finally end the years of losing. Do you think we get all of those 4 AFC championships without Bruce Smith?

Now let's fast forward to next December. Odds are pretty good we're not going to be in the playoff hunt. In fact odds are pretty good we'll be in position for a top 5 pick in the draft. When the home game against the Browns on December 12th is here, try to remember that empty feeling we're having this Thursday as Okung, Bradford, Suh, and the guys rated 2nd best at LT & DL go flying off the board long before pick 9. Now some of you will be rooting hard for win #3, 4 or 5 of the season, but please, don't get on the cases of the people like me who will be remembering this Thursday & would rather not experience the "good feeling" of seeing the Bills win their 4th game at the expense of losing out on a player who could be instrumental in turning this franchise around for the next decade.

extraordinary - pre-draft premonitional melancholy

Look at a team like the Colts, they don't wheel and deal and still draft at the bottom of the rounds every year and stay competitive too.

Don't draft specifically for need, Best player available is better then best player available at the that time at a needed position.

True...

Of course, as we old Bills fans know, they have possibly the best drafter in the NFL in Bill Polian and a consensus MVP QB in Manning who can lift the offense onto his shoulders... Regardless of method or number of draft picks, there are plenty of teams who consistently draft outside the top 10-15 who have success year in and year out... There is no particular formula other than drafting good players more often than not... The Pats and Eagles do it by stockpiling picks... The Colts do it because they have Bill Polian... They don't have to be in the top ten to be successful.... That was my point...

Good point. I'm hoping for 0-16 this year and maybe next year. I remember the '71, '77 and '84-'85 seasons. They were so much fun. I hate when he Bills win games.

Where would the Colts be if they had won a couple of more games the year they were bad enough to draft Peyton Manning at #1? Probably still floundering in the middle of the pack with all those other great Polian picks.

The Colts fans were lucky that their team sucked badly enough that year. Meanwhile, that year we also had the 9th pick in the draft & needed a QB, so we traded it to Jacksonville for Rob Johnson.

I dont think we will have to lay down for that to happen this year....

The OP does have a point. Is anyone going to argue that having higher picks hurts the team drafting? The Lions sucks because they suck at drafting - it has nothing to do with where in the draft they pick. Now im not saying we should lose on purpose, but bottom line is if we lost to the chiefs/Panthers/Jets we would be in a much better position to add that stud QB/LT/DL who could really help turn things around. Now we are at 9 and all those guys may be gone leaving us reaching yet again.

Hopefully the football gods are kind to us like last year and allow a top 3 talent to fall to our pick... so lets hope we dont draft another Maybin!

Do you really think that being a couple of spots lower in the draft would be the difference in turning the franchise around? The Rams and Lions have been picking in the top couple spots for the last few years and they haven't turned themselves around. Its not where you pick, but what you do with your picks.

It can be A START to turning a franchise absolutely. And yes what you do with your picks is very much a part of it also.

but please, don't get on the cases of the people like me

Sorry, but that's a crock. There are quality, difference making players available in every round at every slot, if you have the player personnel department capable of evaluating them properly and knowing how to build a team, rather than a collection of stars.

I don't agree with your position at all.

Don't worry they will lose those games year 2-14 at best.