Your plans for 4/20?

Fingon

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question,,,,

I don't drink and drive, so why do I have to pay for this????????

:devil: The piece of mind that drunk drivers aren't on the roads with you or your loved ones isn't enough? Its an extremely inexpensive technology.

Cuz it will make the roads safer overall. I don't drink and drive either,but I'd have no problem paying for it.

Hey the first thing we've agreed on in this thread. :devil: I really don't think there is any price to high to pay for that type of safety. But until then we have to keep substances that are illegal and impair illegal. :thumbsup:

Are those things you're talking about that are more dangerous legal?

Does it matter? There are thousands of things that are more dangerous to your health (legal and illegal) out there. Marijuana is an extremely low risk drug. You are 6.5 times as likely to die in a car accident caused by someone eating a burger than by someone smoking a joint. Don't give me the whole "but eating is legal" BS. Laws are suppose to be made on more solid ground than a slight chance that someone might hurt someone with something.

:devil: The piece of mind that drunk drivers aren't on the roads with you or your loved ones isn't enough? Its an extremely inexpensive technology.

Define inexpensive technology? $20? $50? Or does it end up adding $450 to the price of a car? We (family) live on one salary, and the little things add up when buying a car. The good side is that we plan to drive the current car into the ground. Hopefully we'll all be flying around in little spaceships by the time I have to buy another car.

I'm not saying I don't support the idea, I just don't know if I want my car to cost $500 more so it has a device that will keep me from driving drunk (which I don't do anyways).

Define inexpensive technology? $20? $50? Or does it end up adding $450 to the price of a car? We (family) live on one salary, and the little things add up when buying a car. The good side is that we plan to drive the current car into the ground. Hopefully we'll all be flying around in little spaceships by the time I have to buy another car.

I'm not saying I don't support the idea, I just don't know if I want my car to cost $500 more so it has a device that will keep me from driving drunk (which I don't do anyways).

For someone so concerned about drugs, you seem to be extremely unconcerned about a much worse problem.

Honestly the technology is old as dirt so I doubt you'd even notice the increased cost although I'm sure whatever the costs are they will be passed down to the consumer. It's something that would not save a few lives though but would save thousands of lives every year. Its crazy to think with all the safety features and mandates on cars that we don't already have this legislation in place.

Hey you're a cop right? I got a question. How do you guys determine if a driver you've pulled over is under the influence of a prescription drug?

Honestly the technology is old as dirt so I doubt you'd even notice the increased cost although I'm sure whatever the costs are they will be passed down to the consumer. It's something that would not save a few lives though but would save thousands of lives every year. Its crazy to think with all the safety features and mandates on cars that we don't already have this legislation in place.

So previously you wrote how in-expensive the technology is, yet you have no idea what it costs. BRILLIANT!!!

Go hit the bong again, you entirely missed my point.

No, I didn't. I just find it comical that you are against forking over extra money for a breathalyzer in a car, yet you are for wasting $10s of billions of the taxpayer's money.

No, I didn't. I just find it comical that you are against forking over extra money for a breathalyzer in a car, yet you are for wasting $10s of billions of the taxpayer's money.

I know it costs the person charged with a DUI around $800, to have the breathalyzer installed in their vehicle, that is not cheap to me.

Hey you're a cop right? I got a question. How do you guys determine if a driver you've pulled over is under the influence of a prescription drug?

Well, actually I'm a fed, and it has been a long long time since I dealt with DUI's or similar violations. There is a eye test, vertical gaze nystagmus that is supposed to give an indication of drug impairment. Horitzontal gaze nystagmus is for alcohol and vertical is for drugs. Like I said, it has been a long time, and my information might be very outdated. Some drugs do not result in positives anyways (need to do a blood test!).

I know it costs the person charged with a DUI around $800, to have the breathalyzer installed in their vehicle, that is not cheap to me.

No it doesn't, its about $75 for an install right now and then people pay about $50 a month for the service of renting them from the company that puts them in (another way of generating money). Those interlocks record data that is downloaded monthly and sent to either a court or Probation officer and many of these people will get revoked from probation if any alcohol is detected at any time. That would not be the case for the general public, there would be no reason to record the data because it wouldn't get sent to any court or probation officer.....the car simply wouldn't start. Don't you get that a court can charge whatever they want if someone is convicted of a crime? Courts generate money from criminals, and good for them. You simply can't compare what somebody who was convicted of a DUI has to pay compared to what the general public would pay. If these devices were massed produced and mandatory they would not be that expensive.....I would estimate < $300. Sorry I don't have an exact dollar amount.

Well, actually I'm a fed, and it has been a long long time since I dealt with DUI's or similar violations. There is a eye test, vertical gaze nystagmus that is supposed to give an indication of drug impairment. Horitzontal gaze nystagmus is for alcohol and vertical is for drugs. Like I said, it has been a long time, and my information might be very outdated. Some drugs do not result in positives anyways (need to do a blood test!).

The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure how difficult it would be to come up with a roadside determination of whether someone is DUI on marijuana. I lean towards legalizing it,but the DUI aspect of it is a legitimate concern.

The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure how difficult it would be to come up with a roadside determination of whether someone is DUI on marijuana. I lean towards legalizing it,but the DUI aspect of it is a legitimate concern.

Throw a bag of doritos in the middle of the freeway. If they dodge traffic to get it......stoned.