More Proof PFT Is Mentally Challenged

H2o

You make some good points but still, my issues with Jauron:

1. His record against good teams was pathetic, partly due to his conservation play calling. His tenure in Buffalo, like his time in Chicago , was defined by a poor offense and no ability to find a creative OC and then let him do his thing. He does not understand offense good enough to succeed.

2. He failed to put together a team that matched up in our division. Example: we never drafted a decent center yet every team in our division plays the 3-4 and has a monster at NT. Example 2: Our team does not play well in cold weather and our home record was poor. (I will share this blame with Levy and Brandon too).

3. His game day coaching ... Lets not forget the failure to get the flag out of his pocket and on the field in time to review a play that would have been overturned. I will NEVER forget that. Talk about passive coaching.

Good riddance Dick.

I basically agree with you except for point three. He's actually pretty good situationally against average and bad teams. Yes, he made some mistakes in that regard just like all coaches do, but let's not forget -- if Lindell makes that kick against Cleveland on Monday night (a night where there was no wind), it would have been one of the better garbage-trawling wins in recent times. I mean the QB threw 3 INTs in the first quarter, and looked shellshocked afterward.

Of course, he missed it, and it's easy to argue that this happened because Jauron played not to lose. That's his strength but ultimately his fatal flaw.

This isn't some sort of death-or-glory argument about whether he was good or horrible. It's about whether the Bills performed better or worse than the talent on hand. To reiterate, anyone who thinks the Bills had better than 4-12 talent from 2006-2008 should check to see what they were smoking. This is not to defend Jauron, who had a big hand in the talent that the Bills acquired.

There is no argument, he was horrible. End of story.

90% of Dick's wins were against teams that had worse talent than the Bills. Add in the fact that the guy always played "close to the vest, let the other team make a mistake and hope it's close and you catch a break in the fourth quarter" eyes meltingly ugly brand of football, what does that tell you? Please get a grip, you're better than this.

90% of Dick's wins were against teams that had worse talent than the Bills. Add in the fact that the guy always played "close to the vest, let the other team make a mistake and hope it's close and you catch a break in the fourth quarter" eyes meltingly ugly brand of football, what does that tell you? Please get a grip, you're better than this.

This is the problem with your argument. Those "bad" teams didn't have worse talent than the Bills. Aside from homers, anyone looking at the Bills' talent level from 2005 onward can easily see that it was/is bottom five in the entire league.

Just to clarify, though. There's a difference between tactics and strategy. Jauron ain't bad at the first. The second, though ... whew.

How many teams had TWO running backs that have rushed for over 1,000 yards on the roster?....okay not many...and yeah he did say that our backfield was not a need...HOWEVER...as it pertains to coaching...why did neither have over 250 carries this season?....THAT'S COACHING...you are supposed to play to your strengths...when you're weak at LT, you don't take five and seven step drops just because T.O. is whining they aren't finding ways to get him the ball...our young OC cracked under pressure...DJ didn't do anything about it...they did NOT over achieve...not even a little bit...

How many teams had TWO running backs that have rushed for over 1,000 yards on the roster?....okay not many...and yeah he did say that our backfield was not a need...HOWEVER...as it pertains to coaching...why did neither have over 250 carries this season?....THAT'S COACHING...you are supposed to play to your strengths...when you're weak at LT, you don't take five and seven step drops just because T.O. is whining they aren't finding ways to get him the ball...our young OC cracked under pressure...DJ didn't do anything about it...they did NOT over achieve...not even a little bit...

You sound like a homer. The Bills have/had horrible talent for years. To start, they don't have a quarterback ...

This is the problem with your argument. Those "bad" teams didn't have worse talent than the Bills. Aside from homers, anyone looking at the Bills' talent level from 2005 onward can easily see that it was/is bottom five in the entire league.

Just to clarify, though. There's a difference between tactics and strategy. Jauron ain't bad at the first. The second, though ... whew.

Yes they did, that's why they were considered WORSE teams than the Bills. I know it may seem hard for you to believe, but there are more than a hand full of NFL teams with worse rosters than the Bills. For proof, just look at where the Bills are selecting in the up coming draft. You should seriously consider giving up your defense of Dick Jauron. Back in the day, I'm sure there were some Jet fans defending Rich Kotite after he was kicked to the curb. You don't want to be one of those guys now, do you?

I know it may seem hard for you to believe, but there are more than a hand full of NFL teams with worse rosters than the Bills.

How did those teams do? Better than the Bills or worse? If they did worse, than the Bills in fact overachieved.

The Bills were the best team with the most crappiest talent... Why is this the so hard to understand... That they in fact did overachieve. They should have been nowhere sniffing 7-9 like th eother crap talented teams.

They did overachieve. When they go 4-12 this year you will see.
Yea they started to win games after they fired the moron...

ya know, he might have actually overachieved of you think about it...considering his limited knowledge of an offense and the draft.

About the only area he knew anything about was the secondary, even then he kept failing with his draft choices so he kept drafting DB's every year.

Whenever I think of DJ, I am reminded of this thread from about one year ago:

Coward-gate

Jauron's flawed wisdom of drafting smaller skill players at the expense of the OL and DL is what makes this team need to rebuild in 2010. No team in the NFL since 2006 was mediocre longer than the Bills: 27-37 in four seasons. Seeing him punt in the fourth to NO at home down 10 with 7 and change was what coward-gate was all about. Anyone giving even a shred of props to the man should remember that game.

Whenever I think of DJ, I am reminded of this thread from about one year ago:

Coward-gate

Jauron's flawed wisdom of drafting smaller skill players at the expense of the OL and DL is what makes this team need to rebuild in 2010. No team in the NFL since 2006 was mediocre longer than the Bills: 27-37 in four seasons. Seeing him punt in the fourth to NO at home down 10 with 7 and change was what coward-gate was all about. Anyone giving even a shred of props to the man should remember that game.

Still, if you throw out all of Belichick's (or Shula's or Landry's or Noll's) successful years, Jauron doesn't look so bad. :unsure:

Still, if you throw out all of Belichick's (or Shula's or Landry's or Noll's) successful years, Jauron doesn't look so bad. :unsure:

I'm convinced that DJ just never had the players. If he'd have had Tom Brady, there's no doubt DJ would've won at least a SB or 4. His players always played really hard for him and didn't quit no matter how many times his game plans ripped their collective hearts out. :lol:

Thank goodness someone with real qualifications in two whole seasons thought Buffalo was a top landing spot.

How did those teams do? Better than the Bills or worse? If they did worse, than the Bills in fact overachieved.

The Bills were the best team with the most crappiest talent... Why is this the so hard to understand... That they in fact did overachieve. They should have been nowhere sniffing 7-9 like th eother crap talented teams.

The Bills have as good or better roster than the teams picking ahead of them in the draft. As for giving credence to ProFootball Talk's cries of Jauron overachieving with this club, it's pathetic to me. The guy was 3-6 and probably wouldn't have won another game if they didn't fire him. Why is this so hard to understand? I'm shocked that there are still Dick Jauron apologists here. Truly amazing.

Someone should remind Florio that Dick's inability to draft OL and DL is part of the reason he was DFA'd in November. That, and DJ's wimpy game plans, particularly in the home Saints game last season, where he rolled over in the 4th quarter.

Of course, it didn't help that the front office, led by the incomparable RW, Smithers, and Jimmy Overdorf could not re-sign Peters after his 2007 season. While it's true Peters has some issues, you don't subtract a LT and then hope guys who've never played the position before. Buffalo has become the proverbial hamster in the wheel-running in circles, but they do replace their wheel every now and then.

No HC was going to succeed in such a dysfunctional organization. The problem with DJ was that he was an instrumental part of that very fractured organizational structure. At least now, it appears that under Nix there is a clear line of responsibility and authority.

Sometimes organizational failures are due to organizational structures. And sometimes organizational failures are due to incompetent people making very bad and perplexing decisions. With the Bills their inability to perform at a competent level was due to the toxic combination of both organizational failures and grossly incompetent people working at cross purposes. When you have a clueless owner out of touch with the modern NFL world what do you expect?

DJ is now doing what he is qualified to do i.e. being a DB coach. Levy selecting DJ to be a HC was as stupid as the cranky owner hiring Levy to be a fraudulent GM. In other words: You get what you get.