Dane Cook

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because I am young or whatever but I just don't find CK to be the end all be all of comedy. Don't get me wrong the guy is very good but his material just doesn't get to me in a way that the best comic of a generation should. I get much more laughs out of Patton Oswalts albums (Feeling Kinda Patton is epic and so is Werewolves and Lolipops although his newest album wasn't that great) and I find guys like Birbiglia and a few others better as well.

Its not that CK isn't funny or really good its just when I heard the way people were talking about him I was expecting something great and all it was, was just good but not great or epic comedy. All in all I just don't see CK as the greatest comic of the last decade as a lot of people would let on.

Oh and as far as Cease goes you should only go near his one album called One Dimple his other comedy central special was pretty bad but that One Dimple album was really good.

if you have streaming Netflix, or can get to a rental store, i highly recommend Louis CK - Chewed Up. it's his 2008 concert release and is a little more current than his other stuff. it's worth the hour or so to watch it, i promise you wont be disappointed. the other thing to remember about CK is that a lot of the material he was willing to do in the earlier 2000s is what allowed or lead directly to a lot of Patton Oswalt/Zach Galifianakis/etc doing what they do.

he's the "Comedian's Comedian". although, i'll admit to knowing what you mean by having him sooo built up as the end all be all. i felt the same way when i first checked him out. but after you get to know his routines, you realize that the guy is on a whole different level.

Dane Cook is the Microsoft/Brittany Spears of comedians. He's huge because of marketing. Dude is NOT FUNNY. He may be a good guy and he's played a couple of funny roles in the movies but his the only thing funny about his stand up is the people who defend it.

There are literally a thousand comedians out there who are awesome. Dane Cook isn't one of them and he never has been.

no way, the Blue Devils win Championships and prove they are the best. The Yankees win Championships and prove they are the best. Dane Cook has made a fortune out of being mediocre at best. Good for him and all, but when it comes to actual comedy, his routine has gotten really weak. He had some funny bits back in the day, but seems to have convinced himself that he can say ANYTHING and have it be funny, as long as he says it a certain way.

and there are PLENTY of other funny comedians that aren't "the all-time greatest" but are at least original and creative enough to write real jokes.

This is a matter of opinion. It is no different than saying Duke gets every call and the Yankees buy every championship. The truth is that Dane Cook is tremendously popular and successful, and with that comes all the folks that need to discredit him and his fans.

Comedy is such a personal preference thing. No sense in trying to explain to everyone what they should find funny.

Nick DiPaolo and Greg Giraldo.

+1 for Giraldo. Saw him at a little comedy club in Cincy when I was in undergrad and he killed. I was in tears laughing more than once. He's got an interesting background. Graduated Harvard law and worked for a short time for some big corporate law firm in NYC before giving it up to persue comedy.

This is a matter of opinion. It is no different than saying Duke gets every call and the Yankees buy every championship. The truth is that Dane Cook is tremendously popular and successful, and with that comes all the folks that need to discredit him and his fans.

Comedy is such a personal preference thing. No sense in trying to explain to everyone what they should find funny.

so the only reason i dont like him is that it's popular to not like him. but liking him is all personal preference?

i wasnt arguing with you as to his success or popularity, just saying that the analogy is wrong.

he's more like the Buffalo Bills of comedy, in that he offers no real substance, but his fans keep coming back for more even though theyre getting a subpar product. :unsure:

people can like him all they want, that's fine. to each their own. all we're saying in this thread is that, for all his success, there are better comedians who dont have the notoriety they deserve. i dont hate Dane Cook in any way, and not even close to the way i hate Carlos Mencia. just commenting that his stand-up routine has gotten incredibly weak as he has become more popular. it happens to bands too.

I don't want to come across as exist because I love women but normally when a large amount of women starting liking something, I'm gonna start to hate it. This applies in a lot of different areas- music, TV, and now sports (the NHL is more popular with girls and I don't like it nearly as much as I used to). Cook was all right at first but then more and more girls started to like him, I started to hate him.

He's not a terrible actor though. It jsut sucks that Dave Chappelle went crazy. He was a great comedian.

I don't want to come across as exist because I love women but normally when a large amount of women starting liking something, I'm gonna start to hate it. This applies in a lot of different areas- music, TV, and now sports (the NHL is more popular with girls and I don't like it nearly as much as I used to). Cook was all right at first but then more and more girls started to like him, I started to hate him.

He's not a terrible actor though. It jsut sucks that Dave Chappelle went crazy. He was a great comedian.

Chappelle is an oddity because I usually don't like Black comedians that do jokes that break down to white people dance like this and black people dance like this (Also apparently white people all sound like British detectives seriously I don't know anyone who remotely sounds like that :unsure:) jokes as either all or most of their act.

But Chappelle does mostly those jokes and I love him. Also where are all these girls like hockey. The only interest in hockey women I know have is thinking Zack Parise is good looking.

John Mulaney is a name a lot of people dont know, but if you want to seem "hip" and "ahead of the game" (as the kids say these days), learn it now because he's going to make it big very soon.

He's already a writer on SNL and had his first stand-up at Comedy Central. Rumor has it he'll become a new on-screen cast member on SNL for this upcoming season too. I saw him live in NYC a few years ago and he had the place rolling.

Here's a few snippets from his CD (some NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLPxFzB1-cw...&playnext=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqthK-Yc4g...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro0R9vA-rMY...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzO_hi9eKOA...feature=related

It's suddenly cool to hate Dane Cook because he famously steals jokes, then comes down with a litigious wrath on anyone who says or does something that even remotely resembles elements of his "material."

The most famous examples are joke he stole from Louie CK, but I'm too lazy to do the youtube searches.

so the only reason i dont like him is that it's popular to not like him. but liking him is all personal preference?

i wasnt arguing with you as to his success or popularity, just saying that the analogy is wrong.

he's more like the Buffalo Bills of comedy, in that he offers no real substance, but his fans keep coming back for more even though theyre getting a subpar product. :doh:

people can like him all they want, that's fine. to each their own. all we're saying in this thread is that, for all his success, there are better comedians who dont have the notoriety they deserve. i dont hate Dane Cook in any way, and not even close to the way i hate Carlos Mencia. just commenting that his stand-up routine has gotten incredibly weak as he has become more popular. it happens to bands too.

I don't know if this is true for you but it is certainly true for many. I'm not really into Dane Cook either but I'm not going to say he offers no real substance because I'm only luke warm on his humor. Obviously he makes ridiculous amount of people laugh, his success speaks for itself.

I agree Carlos Mencia is a hack. :thumbsup:

It's suddenly cool to hate Dane Cook because he famously steals jokes, then comes down with a litigious wrath on anyone who says or does something that even remotely resembles elements of his "material."

The most famous examples are joke he stole from Louie CK, but I'm too lazy to do the youtube searches.

True in the last 4 years the comic community has really turned on Cook big time. He has stolen or at least done unintentionally similar material of other comics bits. Yet when other comics rip on him he gets very defensive and when other comics infringe on his material he gets very litigious.

Mencia and Cook are both pariahs as far as the frat of comedians goes.

Chappelle is an oddity because I usually don't like Black comedians that do jokes that break down to white people dance like this and black people dance like this (Also apparently white people all sound like British detectives seriously I don't know anyone who remotely sounds like that :doh:) jokes as either all or most of their act.

But Chappelle does mostly those jokes and I love him. Also where are all these girls like hockey. The only interest in hockey women I know have is thinking Zack Parise is good looking.

I guess you're a New Jersey fan, so you're not used to many fans, male or female. :thumbsup: But in Buffalo, especially in the playoffs, bars downtown are like 50-50 if not more slanted towards girls here. They love hockey here. And I realized with all the rule changes they have switched (less fighting, hitting), I don't like the game as much as I used to.

And Chappelle is great because he just shows how dumb racism is.

I guess you're a New Jersey fan, so you're not used to many fans, male or female. :thumbsup: But in Buffalo, especially in the playoffs, bars downtown are like 50-50 if not more slanted towards girls here. They love hockey here. And I realized with all the rule changes they have switched (less fighting, hitting), I don't like the game as much as I used to.

And Chappelle is great because he just shows how dumb racism is.

Yeah but what little hockey fans there are in New Jersey are very heavily slanted towards men. And what little interest most women have in hockey is based around Zack Parise's looks. Man a town with a lot of women hockey fans I can't wait to go to Buffalo come next Bills season :doh: