Left Tackle

kenneuf

It seems like most people on the board want a left tackle to magically solve the problems on offense. So what is the plan then? Draft a Quarterback next year and expect a rookie to take us to the superbowl a la Ben R or dirty Sanchez? This team

needs to win big next year. Just draft the best QB that they think can be "the guy" and make sure you get him. Jason Peters in his prime was a Great Dominating tackle for a 7-9 team. A year in a system even if he gets knocked around will be better for his development anyways. If he gets hurt too much you need another guy.

Define "win big." All of us would like to see them go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl next year. Unfortunately that is highly unlikely. For that matter, even making the playoffs is highly unlikely. At this point, the Bills are still the 4th rated team in the AFC East. Even with a great draft they don't look to be in a position to go into the season ranked any higher than 3rd (and most non-Bills fans would tell you jumping over Miami to 3rd in the division is a stretch).

As much as it hurts to say it, the Bills have been a 10-year doormat and have glaring needs at almost every position. In my mind, "win big" or just having a good season would entail finally addressing both lines and laying the foundation for the future; playing competitive,entertaining and well-coached football; and showing the fans that there are finally some competent people running the franchise again.

As far as the QB position, the QB of the future is probably not on the roster today. I don't know if he's out there in this draft either. The safer pick right now is a LT or stud DL. They can't afford to blow another 1st round pick. In my mind, your 1st rounder has to play and have an immediate positive impact. If a solid QB prospect is available anywhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds, go for it. A QB in the draft this year is going to be watching from the sidelines, so that isn't going to help "win big" this year.

I know impatient fans don't want to hear that reality. I hate to keep referring to the "glory days/Kelly era". But young Bills fans (under 25) either don't understand or seem to have forgotten how the Kelly era team had to evolve over three to four seasons. From 1983 to 1985 the Bills were one of the worst teams in the league, going 2-14 in 1984 and 1985. Kelly (and C Kent Hull) came to Buffalo from the USFL for the 1986 season. Even with Kelly (who was ready to be the starter the day he arrived), we knew they weren't going to the playoffs, and they finished 4-12 that year. Still, you finally knew the team was going in the right direction. Hopes were a little higher for 1987 (they drafted Shane Conlan) . The Bills finished 7-9, but you knew it was now a team on the doorstep of success. Then they drafted Thurman Thomas in 88, and that was their breakout year going 12-4. From 88 to 1996 (Kelly's last year) they were perenially playoff/Super Bowl contenders. They built that team primarily through great drafts from 1985 to 1989, along with a few good free agent signings and trades (like James Lofton and Cornelius Bennett). Despite progress each year, the wins did not come overnight.

So even though they didn't "win big" in 1986 or 1987, they were still a fun and exciting team to watch, and you knew better things were on the horizon. Teams can rebuild much more rapidly in today's NFL with the current free agency rules, but there weren't many good free agents out there this year. So it's back to the draft, which will take a little longer, but will likely yield better long term results.

It seems like most people on the board want a left tackle to magically solve the problems on offense. So what is the plan then? Draft a Quarterback next year and expect a rookie to take us to the superbowl a la Ben R or dirty Sanchez? This team

needs to win big next year. Just draft the best QB that they think can be "the guy" and make sure you get him. Jason Peters in his prime was a Great Dominating tackle for a 7-9 team. A year in a system even if he gets knocked around will be better for his development anyways. If he gets hurt too much you need another guy.

they dont need to "win big" this year, and it will most likely be a 7-9 team at best. I dont think anybody thinks that a LT will magically solve our problems. This is an awful post.... noone wants there QB knocked around, want to know how to beat the pats and Indy- pressure there QBs. I think its pretty much understood by apparently everyone by you is that we have 2 huge needs on offense..QB and LT. We most likely arent going to solve them both this year and if we do they they will be young and inexperianced or average which seemingly will seem like we didnt make any improvements for the year to come. We most likely wont be competitive in our division for 2-3 years.

A year in a system even if he gets knocked around will be better for his development anyways. If he gets hurt too much you need another guy.

Uhh, a year in a system will do nothing positive for your development if the systems sucks, we've proven that for the last decade. And with three interior lineman and two turnstiles any QB is going to get hurt. I agree with previous posters in this thread that this will take a few years. If the QB of the future is not available now, I would rather Gailey evaluate the players we have and how they work in HIS system instead of basing his evaluation on their performance in a terrible offense, rather than wasting picks to bring in players they're not completely sold on. I would rather they have the right pieces in place when the right QB is available, rather than a bunch of spare parts. Baltimore, Atlanta, and the Jets have proven you can win with a rookie when the right pieces are in place, whereas the Bills have derailed several QB careers in the last 10 year when the pieces weren't.

I don't value the LT so much higher than the rest of the line like the NFLers do...however OUR LT is the most horrible LT in the league and we need an upgrade like YESTERDAY...it's not that I value an LT more than a QB, it's more that our LT was worse among LT's in the league than our QB was...on top of it STARTS in the trenches...we don't know how good our skill positions are until we solidify the trenches period...you can't have liabilities on the lines and get a good picture of how good or poor a QB is...we snap in a decent LT...IE Okung, Bulaga, Williams...we can then truly assess what we have at QB, WR, RB...which RB's we are pretty much set...but we still don't know how great they can really be until our line is full of fighters...same goes for the defense...we know how good our secondary is, but if we get our DLine solidified against the run AND pass rush, then we can REALLY see the back end shine...including the LB's...LB's are ridiculously better with a strong D Line in front of them...it starts in the trenches....always has and always will...

In the NFL, the game is won and lost on the lines. Both O and D. Buffalo needs a LT and a NT. Looking at the way things are shaping out, I think Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga and Anthony Davis will be available as LTs at 9. Dan Williams will be available as the best NT prospect at 9 as well. If Bulaga is there, I say he should be the pick, then try to get a NT in the second round, say Cam Thomas or Terrence Cody. If only Trent Williams and Anthony Davis are left, I'd say go with Dan Williams at NT and try to get Saffold or Selvish Capers in the second round. Either way, the first two picks should be used to address the line.

However, it appears that the Bills have gallen in love with Tebow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him at 41, and try and take another lineman in the third, or trade back into the second and try to get one. Either way, Buffalo has major needs on both lines, and at QB, but they should focus on building their lines first. Personally, a draft where we took Bulaga and Cody or Cam Thomas, I think would be an excellent start. If they could get Bulaga, Tebow, and trade back into the third round to get Cody or Thomas, that, in my mind would be a very solid draft. Same is true if the Bills take Dan Williams, and Saffold, or find a way to get D. Williams, Tebow and Saffold. That would be a clear signal that the Bills are trying to get better the right way. Building the lines and going for a good QB prospect, even if he is not universally accepted as such.

This team DOES NOT NEED TO WIN BIG NEXT YEAR. They need a clear and defined plan and they need to stick to it, without interference if they don't win quickly. Every position feeds off the others. Without a good line, the QB can't function at a high level, nor can the QB function without a good line. Without a good RB, your passing game is hampered and with out a good passing game, your run game is stifled.

There is no fix other than patience and a few good drafts. Win now is a failure and that is a fact

Take a look at last years AFC Wildcard game at New England, the winning QB of the Ravens went 4 of 10 for 34 yards...THATS IT! The Ravens won with a dominating 3-4 defense and power running attack. They won 33-14 and Ray Rice had 22 rushes for 159 yards and played keep away from Tom Brady.

After that game the Patriots fans were literally crying, and whining that the dynasty was over.

In today's pass happy offenses the Ravens and NY Jets have superior O lines and running games that enabled then to get into the playoffs despite their QB's.

If last years playoff game didn't open up some eyes at OBD... then nothing will! The Bills biggest rival was trounced at their home, in a playoff game, and against a healthy Tom Brady.

When Dick Jauron was first hired I was hoping he would build a team like he had in Chicago, a power running attack with a strong defense. Instead he tried to resurrect the "greatest show on turf" by hiring a Mike Martz disciple in Steve Fairchild and build the "greatest show in snow".

Then Fairchild quit and Jauron replaced him with two QB coaches who weren't ready to become offensive coordinators. Jauron clearly didn't know enough about building an offense and it failed miserably year after year.

Chan Gailey is an offensive minded coach noted for building a strong powerful ground attack, and if the Bills have a ground game anything like the Ravens or Jets... then they won't need a Payton Manning / Drew Brees type franchise QB to run it.

Take a look at last years AFC Wildcard game at New England, the winning QB of the Ravens went 4 of 10 for 34 yards...THATS IT! The Ravens won with a dominating 3-4 defense and power running attack. They won 33-14 and Ray Rice had 22 rushes for 159 yards and played keep away from Tom Brady.

After that game the Patriots fans were literally crying, and whining that the dynasty was over.

In today's pass happy offenses the Ravens and NY Jets have superior O lines and running games that enabled then to get into the playoffs despite their QB's.

If last years playoff game didn't open up some eyes at OBD... then nothing will! The Bills biggest rival was trounced at their home, in a playoff game, and against a healthy Tom Brady.

When Dick Jauron was first hired I was hoping he would build a team like he had in Chicago, a power running attack with a strong defense. Instead he tried to resurrect the "greatest show on turf" by hiring a Mike Martz disciple in Steve Fairchild and build the "greatest show in snow".

Then Fairchild quit and Jauron replaced him with two QB coaches who weren't ready to become offensive coordinators. Jauron clearly didn't know enough about building an offense and it failed miserably year after year.

Chan Gailey is an offensive minded coach noted for building a strong powerful ground attack, and if the Bills have a ground game anything like the Ravens or Jets... then they won't need a Payton Manning / Drew Brees type franchise QB to run it.

Gailey has made top ten offenses with the likes of Kordell Stewart hehehee...after researching him, I wasn't as disheartened I was when I first heard he was the new HC...he likes to run the ball...that's all we needed to do last season and we win a bunch more games...we average 4.4 a carry...pretty good...just didn't run the ball hardly at all...ridiculous...good RB's get 300 carries per season on teams that know what the heck they are doing...Lynch still has yet to break 300 and Jackson never has either...give these guys 300 carries and they get 1300 yards....a team that rushes for 2500 yards in a season is a winning team...not exactly brain surgery Jauron....GO BILLS

This team DOES NOT NEED TO WIN BIG NEXT YEAR. They need a clear and defined plan and they need to stick to it, without interference if they don't win quickly. Every position feeds off the others. Without a good line, the QB can't function at a high level, nor can the QB function without a good line. Without a good RB, your passing game is hampered and with out a good passing game, your run game is stifled.

There is no fix other than patience and a few good drafts. Win now is a failure and that is a fact

It's downright laughable to hear Bills fans say that their team doesn't need to win next season and it's impossible to win now.

Just because TD, Marv, and those HC's are gone doesn't give the team a free pass for another 2-3 years. Heck, they might not even have that with the owner being 91. The goal should be to win now AND rebuild for the future. Didn't the Dolphins, Jets, Falcons, and Ravens do that in the past 2 seasons? And if that's the case, even the casual uninformed goober fans that inhabit TBD should ask for that as well. Unfortunately, when you hire anything different than what was previously in the front office or at HC, it's an automatic 2-3 year extension for them to succeed to some fans around here. Those people are merely happy to have a team.

There's a bad trend emerging, and it's lowered expectations year after year. It's worked out so well, especially since 2006.

Just draft the best QB that we think can be "the guy"? Like Losman?

Your theories are exactly what we have been doing and it does not work. Win big this year? What have we done at the other 21 positions to become the Colts or Patriots? We are thin in so many areas.

There is no QB in this draft that looks like a Big Ben, and Ben had a great supporting cast by the way.

I do not like any QB in round one unless we trade down a acquire another 2nd rounder. If there are better prospects in next years draft then it may make sense wait and work on both lines.

Just draft the best QB that we think can be "the guy"? Like Losman?

Your theories are exactly what we have been doing and it does not work. Win big this year? What have we done at the other 21 positions to become the Colts or Patriots? We are thin in so many areas.

There is no QB in this draft that looks like a Big Ben, and Ben had a great supporting cast by the way.

Agreed.

The clammor to pick a QB at nine without addressing the supporting O-line or WR cast gets you exactly what? The ability to sell tickets to the "oooh, shiny" croud, but more of the same failed on-the-field results of the last half dozen years.

Nix has acknowledged this is a buiding year, which is a very good sign that rational thinking has arrived at OBD after a long hiatus. Putting the infrastructure in place before adding the final pieces is a better plan than what TD, Marv and last-year's group-think mess tried to do.

Define "win big." All of us would like to see them go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl next year. Unfortunately that is highly unlikely. For that matter, even making the playoffs is highly unlikely. At this point, the Bills are still the 4th rated team in the AFC East. Even with a great draft they don't look to be in a position to go into the season ranked any higher than 3rd (and most non-Bills fans would tell you jumping over Miami to 3rd in the division is a stretch).

As much as it hurts to say it, the Bills have been a 10-year doormat and have glaring needs at almost every position. In my mind, "win big" or just having a good season would entail finally addressing both lines and laying the foundation for the future; playing competitive,entertaining and well-coached football; and showing the fans that there are finally some competent people running the franchise again.

As far as the QB position, the QB of the future is probably not on the roster today. I don't know if he's out there in this draft either. The safer pick right now is a LT or stud DL. They can't afford to blow another 1st round pick. In my mind, your 1st rounder has to play and have an immediate positive impact. If a solid QB prospect is available anywhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds, go for it. A QB in the draft this year is going to be watching from the sidelines, so that isn't going to help "win big" this year.

I know impatient fans don't want to hear that reality. I hate to keep referring to the "glory days/Kelly era". But young Bills fans (under 25) either don't understand or seem to have forgotten how the Kelly era team had to evolve over three to four seasons. From 1983 to 1985 the Bills were one of the worst teams in the league, going 2-14 in 1984 and 1985. Kelly (and C Kent Hull) came to Buffalo from the USFL for the 1986 season. Even with Kelly (who was ready to be the starter the day he arrived), we knew they weren't going to the playoffs, and they finished 4-12 that year. Still, you finally knew the team was going in the right direction. Hopes were a little higher for 1987 (they drafted Shane Conlan) . The Bills finished 7-9, but you knew it was now a team on the doorstep of success. Then they drafted Thurman Thomas in 88, and that was their breakout year going 12-4. From 88 to 1996 (Kelly's last year) they were perenially playoff/Super Bowl contenders. They built that team primarily through great drafts from 1985 to 1989, along with a few good free agent signings and trades (like James Lofton and Cornelius Bennett). Despite progress each year, the wins did not come overnight.

So even though they didn't "win big" in 1986 or 1987, they were still a fun and exciting team to watch, and you knew better things were on the horizon. Teams can rebuild much more rapidly in today's NFL with the current free agency rules, but there weren't many good free agents out there this year. So it's back to the draft, which will take a little longer, but will likely yield better long term results.

I agree with the patient approach you've described, and the fact that, if the Bills are to build themselves into a contender, it will be the work of several years. I strongly disagree with the approach you've suggested to the draft.

Your odds of finding a first-rate QB outside the first round are slim at best. There are some exceptions: Drew Brees in the second, Joe Montana in the third, Tom Brady in the sixth, Kurt Warner as an UDFA. But the odds of something like that happening to your team are slim. Most good QBs are taken in the first round; normally in the first half of the first round. If there's a franchise QB available when the Bills pick at #9, the Bills should take him. If there isn't, the Bills will probably have to wait until next year to seriously address the QB position. (As any 2nd round pick or lower is likely to prove a waste of time.)

Which brings me to my second point. You wrote that, "In my mind, your 1st rounder has to play and have an immediate positive impact." An "immediate positive impact" could cause the Bills to win some games they otherwise would have lost; thereby hurting their draft position for 2011. That's especially important if the Bills don't take a first round QB in 2010; and are thus in need of taking one of the top QBs in 2011 (like Locker). If the Bills don't take Clausen this year, and if they go 7-9 or 8-8 due to "immediate impact" guys helping our record, the chances of getting the QB problem solved once and for all could slip through our fingers.

Any plan about how to rebuild this franchise needs to begin with a plan for the QB position. That plan should involve either taking Clausen this year, or writing off the 2010 season in order to be able to take a QB early in the 2011 draft. Those are the two options most likely to succeed. Any third option (such as a 2nd round QB or something) is associated with a much higher degree of risk, and a significantly reduced chance of getting a game-changing QB.

During the first two years or so of a rebuilding project, my preference is to avoid immediate impact players. You want guys who typically take a little longer to learn--QBs, LTs, DL, WRs, etc.--in order to avoid losing good draft position too quickly. Being in the top ten of the draft allows you to get the kinds of players you might not see lower down. Once your quarterback and other slow-developing players start to contribute, then it's time to think about more immediate impact players such as LBs, RBs, etc.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...=110920&hl=