How are you planing for retirement?

It's hard to get emotional when you're playing with other peoples money and your risk is next to none (besides your job) and your possible gain is 2/20.

Which is why many brokers can't be trusted. However, that still doesn't take away the point that I was making.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why many brokers can't be trusted. However, that still doesn't take away the point that I was making.

I don't disagree with your point.

I made an emotional mistake last week. Bought RIM- TO at 71$ CAD, kept dropping to 68$ and sold. :rolleyes:

That's life.

I don't disagree with your point.

I made an emotional mistake last week. Bought RIM- TO at 71$ CAD, kept dropping to 68$ and sold. :rolleyes:

That's life.

Nothing wrong with having tight stops. Even though it appears you just panicked :blush:

Nothing wrong with having tight stops. Even though it appears you just panicked :rolleyes:

The buy was stupid. I had absolutely no reason to buy a stock of a company that i thought had no growth prospects (iPhone and competitors have a much stronger product).

It was a screw up, but I didn't lose much.

I'm sure that millions of americans sold out of their 401k equity funds at or near the market bottom last year and still aren't back in with the DOW above 11,000 today. For those with a longer time horizon to retirement, last years market crash was an absolutely glorious buying opportunity, but many missed it due to the panic instilled by the financial media.

I havn't checked my balances in years. I just keep adding every month. This way I avoid any panic to sell.

Man, I do not know how you guys make money picking individual stocks. I am a complete failure at it. The only individual stocks I made money on 15 years ago were CISCO and Philip mo. Since then I have been sticking to index funds and ETF sector and index stocks/bonds and have done a lot better.

It's still tough for me to beat the S&P on the stock side.

Man, I do not know how you guys make money picking individual stocks. I am a complete failure at it. The only individual stocks I made money on 15 years ago were CISCO and Philip mo. Since then I have been sticking to index funds and ETF sector and index stocks/bonds and have done a lot better.

It's still tough for me to beat the S&P on the stock side.

It's very simple: I don't admit my bad picks to anyone but myself. :rolleyes:

I don't stock pick for my wife's retirement plan. What stock picking I do, I have a "play money" account set aside, with which I do okay by one simple rule - which I'm not going to share. Find your own. :rolleyes:

It's very simple: I don't admit my bad picks to anyone but myself. :rolleyes:

I don't stock pick for my wife's retirement plan. What stock picking I do, I have a "play money" account set aside, with which I do okay by one simple rule - which I'm not going to share. Find your own. :rolleyes:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're more into the fundamentals than the charts.

Am i correct?

There was a Simpsons ep where Milhouse's dad is yelling at Jim Cramer.

"YOU TOLD ME TO BUY TECH STOCKS YOU BASTARD!!"

:rolleyes:

You know at one time I noted the stock he was pushing on any given day and would follow it. A interesting pattern emerged- it would go up in the 2-3 days after the show, then head to the tank. A thought for day trader's.

You know at one time I noted the stock he was pushing on any given day and would follow it. A interesting pattern emerged- it would go up in the 2-3 days after the show, then head to the tank. A thought for day trader's.

Too lazy to Google it but there's an article out there that tracked his recommendations and showed how awful his picks are.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're more into the fundamentals than the charts.

Am i correct?

I'm in to whatever I think is going to go up (or down - e.g., shorting GM at five last year), for whatever reason, as long as I'm clear on what my reason is.

• 3 weeks later...