Hockey Mecca

EDinRTP

Thinking ahead to the site of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game, NHL Commissioner thought back to the 2006 Stanley Cup Final hosted by the Carolina Hurricanes. Memories of Game 7 at RBC Center were especially vivid -- and noisy.

"It was the first professional sporting event that I'd ever been to where everyone stood for the entire game and that's a testament to the fans here who have learned to love the game," Bettman said.

It's also one reason Bettman believes Raleigh will be the perfect setting for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game. Bettman made it official Thursday during a press conference before several hundred 'Caniacs outside the arena.

"I think this is one of the fastest and wealthiest-growing areas of the country," Bettman said. "Having not just the national spotlight in the United States and Canada, but the worldwide spotlight, this event will shine a great light on a place that the rest of the world will get to see and admire. Raleigh has been a great place for hockey.

I'm sorry but Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Florida, and California should not get to host the NHL All Star Game. They don't even support the teams they have

NHL should really consider moving Atlanta and Florida out to Canada. Winipeg would easily support another team and there are a bunch of other cities in Canada itching to support a NHL team. Also would consider moving a team like Nashville or Phoenix to Seattle now that the Super Sonics are gone.

Screw the Hurricanes they are a bunch of divers who don't support a winning team during the Stanly Cup Finals run.

Even worse; they did support the team during the Stanley Cup run, after completely ignoring them for the eight years prior to that.

Hockey Mecca?? :thumbsup:

I'm sorry but Carolina, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Florida, and California should not get to host the NHL All Star Game. They don't even support the teams they have

California?

San Jose has some of the best fans in the NHL

California?

San Jose has some of the best fans in the NHL

Same with the Kings... They always held their own since the expansion in '67.

Maybe they mean the Golden Seals and that Oakland experiment... I do think demographics of San Jose is a bit different than Oakland's.

Anyway... Southern Cali is where the Zamboni was invented! :thumbsup::wallbash:

Not to side track this thread... :thumbsup: With the NHL push to force hockey in the US south and "expand the game" hooey... I really wonder if it is the Canadian teams afterall that don't want any more Canadian teams... That way the 6 teams up there grab more dough and market share. I mean really... The game does need a team in:

The east prairie provinces: Say Winnipeg

Near the center (make that centre) of population: London, ONT area (I know for the Sabres sake this isn't good if say it is Hamilton... But the Red Wings gotta be the big nixer in the London area).

The real hockey Mecca: Quebec

and somewhere in the Maritimes.

Okay, I'll concede SJ and LA. But you gotta give up Anaheim

No. It is in the suburbs/OC... Perfect fit for hockey! :D

Anyway... I agree some of the southern US teams have to give it up and put more teams in Canada. What is the NHL trying to prove? Two teams in LA and one in TOR/southern ONT? :angry:

It has got to be greed for the sake of the Canadian team's market.