Tiger Woods new Nike Commercial

millbank

It was smart from a PR perspective for Nike not to terminate their relationship with Tiger after all of his dalliances. Otherwise, they wouldn't of had the opportunity to make this commercial, and look like geniuses in the "Tiger re-imaging World Tour".

Saw it last night on the Golf Channel. I couldn't handle Earl's over-the-top waxing of Tiger when he was alive, but now we have to hear it from the grave? Personally I didn't like the ad... something about it (besides Earl) just bugged me. Seemed too soon to be hawking his remorse (albeit through his father's voice) for Nike.

Commercial is just creepy. I think Nike missed the mark on this one. Then again, people are talking about it...so maybe it worked.

That's the bottom line.

Reminds me of Nike's famous Barkley "I am not a role model" ad.

In many respects, I can see Tiger's turn down the wrong path starting after the death of his father in 2006.

Not to get too psychological or offer it up as an excuse for absolution. But maybe finally dealing with losing his dad has been, and will be, an important part of Tiger finding his way back to the straight and narrow. Many people can testify to how they went adrift after they lost their anchor.

Through this whole thing, from the perspective of a casual observer, I was disappointed in Tiger's behavior. But Tiger is not the first to pour himself into his work and also make self-destructive choices while not properly coping. I'm not going to cast stones b/c I live in a glass house.

I hope he can understand what it was that lead to those choices so he can avoid them in the future. Realizing that our anchors are still there, as long as we remember them / their words / their teachings, is a pretty good first step.

I hope he can understand what it was that lead to those choices so he can avoid them in the future. Realizing that our anchors are still there, as long as we remember them / their words / their teachings, is a pretty good first step.

Sure but to do it in a Nike Ad (which I'm guessing as I have not seen it), is tasteless, classless and completely disrespectful of his wife and kids.

Well apparently I am the only one who likes it, because it shows Tiger in human form, not superstar status that we all know him in.

Tiger didn't need to say anything and I think it was huge that they put the, "Finally, Did you learn anything?" To me, shows that he is dedicated to becoming a new man.

Put yourself in his shoes, how would you feel hearing your late father saying that stuff to you after what he did?

Well apparently I am the only one who likes it, because it shows Tiger in human form, not superstar status that we all know him in.

Tiger didn't need to say anything and I think it was huge that they put the, "Finally, Did you learn anything?" To me, shows that he is dedicated to becoming a new man.

Put yourself in his shoes, how would you feel hearing your late father saying that stuff to you after what he did?

Definitely an effective commercial...but I think it is in very poor taste...not because it features Earl Woods voice, or a remorseful looking Tiger Woods. It just makes me wonder how sincere he really is...I don't really care about golf, or Tiger Woods, but I went from having generally positive feelings about him (as positive as I could for any golfer) to thinking he is a major jerk. If he was really remorsful, he wouldn't be using his remorse to kick off a new ad campaign. Very poor taste, IMO...