What do you want the Bills to do with the #9 PICK?

The 4 tackles are already drafted  

203 members have voted

1. 1. So now what do you want the Bills to do at 9?

• Trade the pick down
    • Draft QB-Jimmy Clausen
    • Draft QB-Timmy Tebow
    • Draft RB-CJ Spiller
    • Draft WR-Dez Bryant
    • Draft DE-Derrick Morgan
    • Draft NT-Dan Williams
    • Draft ILB-Rolando McClain
    • DE-Brandon Graham
    • Will Never Happen-
    • OTHER-WRITE IN

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of a forum?

BTW I'd like to see them trade back and nab Mike Iupati and then Saffold. Our O line wouldn't be looking so shabby then. I like Saffold more than Williams, Davis, and I'm not sold on Bulaga. I would say Okung and Saffold are the two safest tackles in the draft, but then again, I'm just some guy.

Maybe I was a little out of line with that comment. Rough morning

Again, I disagree.

If they trade Lynch for picks (which I don't think will happen), then they should STILL use their picks to fix the other holes on the roster because they still have Jackson. But it would be good to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on a HB in that scenario.

Again, think of how many 1st round picks the team has wasted on 1st round RBs in the past decade and change. Antwain Smith (97), Willis ('03), Lynch ('07) ... how many playoff games have they won in that time? And, out of all of them, who's been better than Jackson? And we found Jackson where? .... NFL Europe.

RBs, even very good ones, are a dime a dozen. They simply aren't worth investing the cap space and resources of a first round pick unless you're one player away from a title. Sorry, but thems the facts.

Well you have the right to disagree but I have a counter point.

Smith was the last running back to start in the playoffs for us, McGahee and Lynch both were 1000yd rushers for us so how are they wasted draft picks??. We did get some production out of these guys. Although they were not LT they certainly were not Greg Bell either.

Spiller has Chris Johnson speed, something either you have or not, he has it.

Even though I would not make him our first rounder , I would not be mad if they made the pick if they did end up dealing Lynch. Jackson is almost 30 and even though I love the guy Spiller would be a terrific change of pace back.

Nobody in the later rounds has Spiller's speed. And Chan said he like's those quick scat backs.

So even though I would not draft Spiller he would upgrade the team if he was here. JMO

Well you have the right to disagree but I have a counter point.

Smith was the last running back to start in the playoffs for us, McGahee and Lynch both were 1000yd rushers for us so how are they wasted draft picks??. We did get some production out of these guys. Although they were not LT they certainly were not Greg Bell either.

Spiller has Chris Johnson speed, something either you have or not, he has it.

Even though I would not make him our first rounder , I would not be mad if they made the pick if they did end up dealing Lynch. Jackson is almost 30 and even though I love the guy Spiller would be a terrific change of pace back.

Nobody in the later rounds has Spiller's speed. And Chan said he like's those quick scat backs.

So even though I would not draft Spiller he would upgrade the team if he was here. JMO

But that's the whole point! They were productive and it translated to zero playoff games. Fred Jackson had as good of a year if not better than either of these guys put up as Bills and even that amounted to a wasted season.

Why? Not because they aren't good. But because the team is littered with holes and still operating as if this is the NFL of 1999. It isn't. It's a passing league now.

Let me put it another way. Let's, for the sake of argument, say Spiller was Drafted by the Bills in the first round in 2003 instead of Willis. Let's, for the sake of argument, say the Spiller is every bit as good as people hope. Do you think that with just him on the team, the Bills pick up enough wins to make the playoffs in those 7 seasons if everything else was the same?

The answer is no.

So, that being the case, why keep flushing first round picks down the drain?

This would be an entirely different conversation if the Bills didn't have huge holes at QB, OL, DL, WR, and LB.

I'm not advocating taking a RB, but if you think Fred Jackson is better than Antowain Smith, well ... I don't know what to say. You're talking about a guy who had two excellent Super Bowls and rushed for nearly 7000 yards. In six postseason games with New England (all victories), he rushed for 456 yards. Over a 16 game season, that translates into 1216 yards. Don't let the fact that the Bills stupidly got rid of him color your opinion of his draft worth or value vis-a-vis Jackson.

I was (and am) a Smith fan. He was a good back, but his transformation in NE is proof of what I'm talking about. The NE passing game made Smith look even better than he was in Buffalo because they used the pass to set up the run. Which is how all the best teams do it now. It used to be reversed, you had to run to set up the pass. Not anymore.

That said, Smith was a good back. But Jackson showed me way more this season as far as athleticism than Smith ever did. If you put Jackson on those NE teams, they still win those Super Bowls and he puts up as good, if not better, stats.

And for the record, I didnt want Spiller with the #9 pick. I want Tebow. I think he is every bit of a leader as Payton Manning or Tom Brady and will prove everyone wrong when they doubt him. Id take him 1st overall if I had to because I think he is worth it. Anytime you can get your franchise QB you get him, regardless of where he is taken. I dont think he will be there in Rd2 so why not take him with the #9 pic?

Well this just says all we need to know about your ability to understand risk management and drafting for value.

If it were up to me, and it's not, I'd draft Clausen and trade for Gaither. I'd give Baltimore our second this year and a conditional 3rd or 4th round pick next year to make sure that happens.

I should add this ...

I don't really care who they pick at 9, or if they trade back for more picks. I'm putting my faith in the front office's ability to judge talent better than the past three incarnations until they prove me wrong.

This team has so many holes (QB, OL, DL, LB, WR) that they could pick blindfolded and still fill a need at 9. Even if it's someone who's not "popular" on the board.

However, taking a RB, ANY RB at any point in the first 2 rounds would be a waste of a pick and show that this team has learned nothing about how to win in the modern NFL. And that would be very, very bad for us fans.

RB and DB are the one position on the field where we DON'T have anything even close to resembling a need. Lynch and Jackson are good enough to win a Super Bowl with. They can both do as much (or more) than Spiller can to help this team win. There's absolutely no good reason to take Spiller at 9. None.

Truth is, the Bills won't be winning any championships until they get a franchise QB and fix their OL regardless of who their RB is.

Whether you like it or not, I think it's going to happen. If they don't pick for need, he is the best athelete on the board. He becomes their scat-back. Fred is 30. Marshawn may be gone by the start of the draft. Our starting QB is captain checkdown and we need a Reggie Bush type of back to catch the ball in the flat. You mentioned the superbowl - by the time that could even happen Fred and Marshawn are gone. This would be a pick for 2-3 years down the road. This kid was the #1 prospect out of high school and lived up to the billing. He's going to make it big in the NFL.

The only thing that goes against your argument is that Peterson did make the playoffs, and that was with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte (just over 3000 yards combined) as the starters in 08.

You also didnt take into account that Chris Johnson led the Titans to the Playoffs in 08 as a rookie with Kerry Collins and Vince Young (threw less than 3000 yards combined). They finished with 13-3 record. Oh yeah, then the Titans started 0-6 in 09 and ended the year at 8-8 all while Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards.

There is 2 instances where the rushing game did win games and the QB's were almost Trent like.

This is also Buffalo (I hate using this point because I think its crap, but everyone else seems to love it) and the cold winters that are filled with cold/icey rain, wind, and snow make it more important to have a running game that is effective.

No one knows for sure if Lynch wants out but he isnt exactly making a case for himself since hes one of the only players that is not attending volountary workouts with the rest of his team and new coaching staff. He is one bad night or dumb decision away from being kicked out of the league for a season, and most likely because of this he will not be resigned at the end of the year.

Jackson (even though he does have less miles) is getting old. Look at Ladainian Tomlinson's progress over the last 3 years and you will see what happens to RB's when they start to reach the 30 year old mark.

Im not saying I would rather have a RB than a QB or LT. But my point is this. If you had a choice to pick the next Chris Johnson, or potential great running back, or just some run of the mill QB or LT who would be more important? If the Bills FO doesnt think any one of these LT's or QB's available at #9 are going to be as effective for years to come as Spiller will be then why deviate?

You dont work for the Bills so just let them do their jobs and STFU. Or go follow another team that doesnt piss you off.

And dont give me that crap about how you have done that for the last 10 years or whatever else you wanna say. We have all done the same and could say the same exact thing. The GM is new, the Coaching staff is new and no one knows what to expect out of them.

The bolded text is one of the reasons I don't want to see the Bills take a running back this year. The Bills are a rebuilding team. Because they're at the beginning of the rebuilding process, it makes sense to take a position that's associated with a long learning curve and a long career span. Quarterback. Left tackle. Even WR!

The goal is not to improve quickly here. The only thing a quick improvement does is to hurt our position in the 2011 draft. The goal should be to assemble as many long-term answers as possible, at the most critical positions we can address.

If there's a QB worthy of the #9 pick, the Bills should take him. If not, a LT. If there's no one the Bills like at LT at #9, then take a defensive lineman. If there are no NTs or RDEs the Bills consider worthy of the #9 pick, they should trade down. If there are no good trade-down offers on the table, they should consider an OLB or a WR. RB is one of the last positions they should address!!

Once the Bills are a few years into the rebuilding process, things will be different. With a franchise QB, a franchise LT, a #1 WR to line up opposite Lee Evans, a stronger defensive line than we have now, and an answer at rushing OLB, this team will be able to afford a first round pick on a RB. The fact that the RB will be able to contribute right away will be useful, because by then so many other pieces will be in place. The RB's short career span won't be as big a problem, because the (comparatively) short window of his career will coincide with the window of opportunity for the team as a whole.

Whether you like it or not, I think it's going to happen. If they don't pick for need, he is the best athelete on the board. He becomes their scat-back. Fred is 30. Marshawn may be gone by the start of the draft. Our starting QB is captain checkdown and we need a Reggie Bush type of back to catch the ball in the flat. You mentioned the superbowl - by the time that could even happen Fred and Marshawn are gone. This would be a pick for 2-3 years down the road. This kid was the #1 prospect out of high school and lived up to the billing. He's going to make it big in the NFL.

Again, you're failing to see the big picture and are blinded by the glamor of a flashy position that is becoming less and less relevant in the modern game.

Well this just says all we need to know about your ability to understand risk management and drafting for value.

With all due respect....FU!!!!! Who the hell made you the genius of the NFL Draft? Who were your picks in the last 5 years and how did they pan out? Your just like any other idiot that thinks your opinion is the only one worth a S*&T. I say GO F&%KYOURSELF!!!!! I didnt want Spiller to be taken, but now out of spite Im almost hoping they do. Just so you can finally quit and get the F*&K off this forum.

If you were so goddamn smart you would be on ESPN predicting who the hell the Bills would be taking. Your not, your probobaly some F&*KING joke at a lame a$$ job that doesnt have anything better to do.

Best pass rushing OLB prospect. No little dudes either. Win with Defense ,because other than Bradford,I don`t think the other QBs are worth our pick.

I'm starting to come around to this. Kindle, Pierre-Paul, Graham, kid from GT. We should have the pick of all of them. Historically, 9th pick seems to be in the sweet spot range for pass rushers...Freeney, Demarcus Ware, Merriman. Pierre-Paul is pretty intriguing. Kid is an athletic freak. I know he's only played 1 year, but he'd probably be a top 5 pick otherwise. This is where having a guy in charge with Nix's experience should help. I'm sure he'll be highly skeptical and cover all bases with a guy like Pierre-Paul.

If I were drafting I'd ask "how often will a player at these positions come available that is this good - and that fits what we'd like to do?" By pick 9 we're probably looking at 3rd best OT, 1st OG, 1st NT, 1st OLB or ILB, 1st WR, 1 RB, 2nd or 3rd QB, and probably 1st DE. Now, guys like Williams at NT go mid to late 1st round every year, as an example. Is there a guy at 9 who is a potential pro-bowl player year in and out? Because that is what we should be getting that high. So, I'd rather have that pro-bowl OLB or OG or DE than a slightly above average LT, QB, or NT. Still, I think our priority this year must be the lines, if we cannot get a potential franchise QB in the first few rounds, in which case that would take priority.

With all due respect....FU!!!!! Who the hell made you the genius of the NFL Draft? Who were your picks in the last 5 years and how did they pan out? Your just like any other idiot that thinks your opinion is the only one worth a S*&T. I say GO F&%KYOURSELF!!!!! I didnt want Spiller to be taken, but now out of spite Im almost hoping they do. Just so you can finally quit and get the F*&K off this forum.

If you were so goddamn smart you would be on ESPN predicting who the hell the Bills would be taking. Your not, your probobaly some F&*KING joke at a lame a$$ job that doesnt have anything better to do.

Anger management can work wonders... seriously, you might want to look into that.

The point, if you cared to read it and try to understand it, is that even if you think Tebow is the answer at QB as you proclaim, then you trade back from 9, get more picks, and take him later in the first round. Why? Because there's zero chance that Tebow goes before pick 20. I'd even be willing to up that number to 30.

So taking Tebow at 9, regardless of how good he is, means that you don't understand how to draft for value.

Sorry, but that's a fact, not an opinion.