What do you want the Bills to do with the #9 PICK?

The 4 tackles are already drafted  

203 members have voted

1. 1. So now what do you want the Bills to do at 9?

• Trade the pick down
    • Draft QB-Jimmy Clausen
    • Draft QB-Timmy Tebow
    • Draft RB-CJ Spiller
    • Draft WR-Dez Bryant
    • Draft DE-Derrick Morgan
    • Draft NT-Dan Williams
    • Draft ILB-Rolando McClain
    • DE-Brandon Graham
    • Will Never Happen-
    • OTHER-WRITE IN

I voted for McClain, I think he can be a Ray Lewis type of ILB. That would be my personal choice. Mitchel has a couple of years left. You could have Poz, McClain, Mitchel, Davis, Maybin, Schobel if he comes back.. and Ellison as LB's. I like that.

But, I think the smartest thing for them to do is trade down. That is if the run on OT's happens.

BTW, Spiller would be a good pick only if they deal Lynch before or on draft day.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravens don't want to trade Gaither. And Tebow in the third??? Good luck on that one.

I'm sorry but thats all Tebow is worth to me...a third round pick. Some goof ball club will pick him in the first I guess...and I thought Gaither was available but i guess I am mistaken.

Anyway...why not Bryant? If all 4 tackles are gone it dosen't matter who we take. O Line is our biggest need period. It has been for the last ten years...

How in the Hell could New Whorleans draft Reggie Bush?

Oh, check out the 'where are they now' column... no longer in the Loser Zone.

Spiller undoubtedly gets votes because he could be the best player available (in some peeps eyes)... that philosophy can build a champeenship also.

You Axed.

You're f*&king joking right? There's no way you're that dense, is there?

I disagree, WR is worthless without an offensive line to protect the QB, a QB that can throw and a RB that can pull 8 in the box.

Then again, that's just how I see it.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that RBs are worthless. You obviously NEED a running game, or at least the threat of one.

What I'm saying is that it's far easier to find a RB capable of giving your team just that outside of the first round. And, more to the point, we already HAVE those RBs on the roster. Two of them in fact.

BTW, Spiller would be a good pick only if they deal Lynch before or on draft day.

Again, I disagree.

If they trade Lynch for picks (which I don't think will happen), then they should STILL use their picks to fix the other holes on the roster because they still have Jackson. But it would be good to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on a HB in that scenario.

Again, think of how many 1st round picks the team has wasted on 1st round RBs in the past decade and change. Antwain Smith (97), Willis ('03), Lynch ('07) ... how many playoff games have they won in that time? And, out of all of them, who's been better than Jackson? And we found Jackson where? .... NFL Europe.

RBs, even very good ones, are a dime a dozen. They simply aren't worth investing the cap space and resources of a first round pick unless you're one player away from a title. Sorry, but thems the facts.

Again, I disagree.

If they trade Lynch for picks (which I don't think will happen), then they should STILL use their picks to fix the other holes on the roster because they still have Jackson. But it would be good to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on a HB in that scenario.

Hey you ever gunna at least stop in and say hi? The team is still kickin you know :flirt:

Again, I disagree.

Again, think of how many 1st round picks the team has wasted on 1st round RBs in the past decade and change. Antwain Smith (97), Willis ('03), Lynch ('07) ... how many playoff games have they won in that time? And, out of all of them, who's been better than Jackson? And we found Jackson where? .... NFL Europe.

RBs, even very good ones, are a dime a dozen. They simply aren't worth investing the cap space and resources of a first round pick unless you're one player away from a title. Sorry, but thems the facts.

I'm largely on board with this way of thinking. As you say, a team can find a respectable RB later in the draft. With Lynch and Jackson on board, RB isn't a need in the first place. Using a first round pick to try to upgrade a position of non-need is a luxury this team can't afford.

Just to add to that: the four hardest-to-fill positions are QB, LT, RDE, and #1 CB. If you don't find answers in the first round (usually the first half of the first round) odds are you won't find any answers to those positions at all. Of those four positions, the Bills have holes at three. (Or two, if you consider the DE we just signed a long-term answer.) If the Bills don't plan on using their top-10 pick to fill a hole at one of those hardest-to-fill, most critical positions, then when exactly are they planning on addressing those holes? How far could this team really go with a fantastic RB but no QB or LT? When you bear in mind that RBs' careers aren't that long anyway, and that a fantastic RB wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over the tandem we have already, in no way, shape, or form does a RB at #9 make sense.

If on the other hand the Bills can get the QB position finally taken care of--perhaps with someone like Clausen--then that's a major building block to a strong offense over the long-term. The New England Patriots won the Super Bowl with Tom Brady at quarterback and Antowain Smith at RB. I don't recall any Super Bowl wins for the Detroit Lions with Barry Sanders at RB and second-rate players at QB.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that RBs are worthless. You obviously NEED a running game, or at least the threat of one.

What I'm saying is that it's far easier to find a RB capable of giving your team just that outside of the first round. And, more to the point, we already HAVE those RBs on the roster. Two of them in fact.

That, I could get on board with.

I picked Spiller (only in said situation where top 4 tackles are gone).....I understand all the huge holes this team needs to fill especially on the OLine, but I think this guy is going to be special and a huge asset to anyone who gets him. Kind of like what Cribbs has done in Cleveland, any time the ball is in his hands he can score.

I'd have no problem with that.

Like I said, I'm pretty open minded when it comes to this year's draft. Even though I'm anti-Tebow, if they take him, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Same with Clausen who I'm also on the fence about.

The ONLY pick that would make me cry would be Spiller at 9. Because, as I said previously, even IF he's a Hall of Fame player, it would still not help the Bills win the Super Bowl more than fixing the OL, QB, DL would. And, taking a HB early ties up a ton of cap money in a position that is, as we said, overrated in today's high flying NFL.

The only thing that goes against your argument is that Peterson did make the playoffs, and that was with Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte (just over 3000 yards combined) as the starters in 08.

You also didnt take into account that Chris Johnson led the Titans to the Playoffs in 08 as a rookie with Kerry Collins and Vince Young (threw less than 3000 yards combined). They finished with 13-3 record. Oh yeah, then the Titans started 0-6 in 09 and ended the year at 8-8 all while Chris Johnson rushed for 2000 yards.

There is 2 instances where the rushing game did win games and the QB's were almost Trent like.

This is also Buffalo (I hate using this point because I think its crap, but everyone else seems to love it) and the cold winters that are filled with cold/icey rain, wind, and snow make it more important to have a running game that is effective.

No one knows for sure if Lynch wants out but he isnt exactly making a case for himself since hes one of the only players that is not attending volountary workouts with the rest of his team and new coaching staff. He is one bad night or dumb decision away from being kicked out of the league for a season, and most likely because of this he will not be resigned at the end of the year.

Jackson (even though he does have less miles) is getting old. Look at Ladainian Tomlinson's progress over the last 3 years and you will see what happens to RB's when they start to reach the 30 year old mark.

Im not saying I would rather have a RB than a QB or LT. But my point is this. If you had a choice to pick the next Chris Johnson, or potential great running back, or just some run of the mill QB or LT who would be more important? If the Bills FO doesnt think any one of these LT's or QB's available at #9 are going to be as effective for years to come as Spiller will be then why deviate?

You dont work for the Bills so just let them do their jobs and STFU. Or go follow another team that doesnt piss you off.

And dont give me that crap about how you have done that for the last 10 years or whatever else you wanna say. We have all done the same and could say the same exact thing. The GM is new, the Coaching staff is new and no one knows what to expect out of them.

I voted for McClain, I think he can be a Ray Lewis type of ILB. That would be my personal choice. Mitchel has a couple of years left. You could have Poz, McClain, Mitchel, Davis, Maybin, Schobel if he comes back.. and Ellison as LB's. I like that.

But, I think the smartest thing for them to do is trade down. That is if the run on OT's happens.

:flirt: to all you said.

And for the record, I didnt want Spiller with the #9 pick. I want Tebow. I think he is every bit of a leader as Payton Manning or Tom Brady and will prove everyone wrong when they doubt him. Id take him 1st overall if I had to because I think he is worth it. Anytime you can get your franchise QB you get him, regardless of where he is taken. I dont think he will be there in Rd2 so why not take him with the #9 pic?

You dont work for the Bills so just let them do their jobs and STFU.

What's the point of a forum?

BTW I'd like to see them trade back and nab Mike Iupati and then Saffold. Our O line wouldn't be looking so shabby then. I like Saffold more than Williams, Davis, and I'm not sold on Bulaga. I would say Okung and Saffold are the two safest tackles in the draft, but then again, I'm just some guy.

Again, I disagree.

I'm not advocating taking a RB, but if you think Fred Jackson is better than Antowain Smith, well ... I don't know what to say. You're talking about a guy who had two excellent Super Bowls and rushed for nearly 7000 yards. In six postseason games with New England (all victories), he rushed for 456 yards. Over a 16 game season, that translates into 1216 yards. Don't let the fact that the Bills stupidly got rid of him color your opinion of his draft worth or value vis-a-vis Jackson.