Interview With A Scout

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://football.realgm.com/src_twelfthwrit..._scout_part_ii/

Some very interesting stuff here on Clausen, Bulaga, Saffold (he really likes him), Trent Williams and other OTs, and others like TE Gresham and Brian Price (who he really doesn't like).

The Vladimir Ducasse stuff was eye-opening.

Thank you for that. Do you have a link to part 1 of that interview. I couldn't find a link.

Very cool read. Makes me think, if Clausen is no there, the best thing to do is try to trade down and pick up some picks. Maybe get a DT in the first, and then OT (Saffold or the kid from USC) in the second. Or Tebow with #41 and an OT with the next?

I went back a page and found this little gem :blink:

"I reported from Mobile in January that wide receivers that lack speed but especially quickness are in increasingly low demand, and that’s becoming ever more evident. Nearly everyone I talk to, and that includes scouts, personnel people, and coaches, tell me that the ability to get open on their own and then catch the ball reliably are absolute requisites for a wideout to get drafted by their teams. The days of Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Dwayne Jarrett and Ramses Barden--very big receivers with long strides that lack lateral quickness and acceleration--being drafted above the 5th round are over. "

I like the part where he says several tackles people aren't looking at are going to be good. Again fans think you gotta have a first round LT and that is bull ****.

If Clausen is on the board the Bills should just go ahead and take him. The Bills need to draft and develop their own players and create their own identity. Clausen is the type of person who is not afraid of assuming the responsibility of being the face of an organization. He played at a high profile school that had some struggles; he seemed to handle those challenges well.

Will the Bills take the route of drafting a qb with their first pick? I have some doubts, moreso now that it came out that the front office aggressively pursued McNabb. I have felt all along, as most people do, that the rebuilding process is going to take a few years. Getting the franchise qb on board sooner rather than later is the best approach to take.

http://football.realgm.com/src_twelfthwrit..._scout_part_ii/

Some very interesting stuff here on Clausen, Bulaga, Saffold (he really likes him), Trent Williams and other OTs, and others like TE Gresham and Brian Price (who he really doesn't like).

The Vladimir Ducasse stuff was eye-opening.

That was a very illuminating link. The critique on Ducasse is understandable. He is a player who has little experience in football, he is out of a very small school and he is competing with the best of the best under the very critical scrutiny of NFL scouts. So it is very understandable that the very raw player be insecure. Ducasse is the type of player that you groom by starting inside and as he gains experience you might be able to move to the tackle spot. With a player such as Ducasse what is wrong with coaching him up (like Jason Peters) and in a few years you have a very quality player?

Scout's are talented people with opinions. Unfortunately, those opinions have been proven to be wrong as often as they are right. I do agree with his assessment of Bradford however. He may have all the potential in the world but he makes Rob Johnson look like freaking Iron Man.

The harsh reality is that every draft has "names" that fail miserably and unknowns that will have 15 year careers and be superstars.

Scout's are talented people with opinions. Unfortunately, those opinions have been proven to be wrong as often as they are right. I do agree with his assessment of Bradford however. He may have all the potential in the world but he makes Rob Johnson look like freaking Iron Man.

The harsh reality is that every draft has "names" that fail miserably and unknowns that will have 15 year careers and be superstars.

Just think the Rams had the opportunity to draft Matt Flynn a couple of years ago, and they declined. Last year they had the opportunity to draft Sanchez, and again they declined. This year they will not make that mistake.

In my view Matt Flynn is going to take the prmier qb mantle from Peyton and Tom. He is a very good qb now and will be the best qb in the league in a few years.

interesting article...thanks! I'm still for getting the LT at 9, although I'd probably understand taking Clausen if he is available, given the strength of tackles in the second and third round. I think we should go very heavy on lineman picks throughout this draft. I'm coming around to the possibility that Clausen might be a workable pick at 9 though.

Just think the Rams had the opportunity to draft Matt Flynn a couple of years ago, and they declined. Last year they had the opportunity to draft Sanchez, and again they declined. This year they will not make that mistake.

In my view Matt Flynn is going to take the prmier qb mantle from Peyton and Tom. He is a very good qb now and will be the best qb in the league in a few years.

Who in the hell is Matt Flynn???

That was a very illuminating link. The critique on Ducasse is understandable. He is a player who has little experience in football, he is out of a very small school and he is competing with the best of the best under the very critical scrutiny of NFL scouts. So it is very understandable that the very raw player be insecure. Ducasse is the type of player that you groom by starting inside and as he gains experience you might be able to move to the tackle spot. With a player such as Ducasse what is wrong with coaching him up (like Jason Peters) and in a few years you have a very quality player?

LOL. Ya that's so easy.....late round fodder TEs that convert to pro bowl LT's are a dime a dozen. Anthony Munoz, Jason Peters and all of those other guys!!!!

I like the part where he says several tackles people aren't looking at are going to be good. Again fans think you gotta have a first round LT and that is bull ****.

Same can be said for the QB position. There are several QBs that people aren't looking at that are going to be good. Again fans think you gotta have a fist round QB and that is bull ****.

Did we really learn anything from that article? He pretty much just made the general and OBVIOUS statement that there will be good players at position 'X' that people aren't looking at that will end up being good. The problem, like any position, is the likelihood of finding that player in later rounds. That includes LT and QB.

We argue about this but but we really agree about 90%. QB is incredibly important. What good is drafting a rookie QB at #9 WHO WILL PLAY HIS ROOKIE YEAR and putting him behind our terrible offensive line? YES, terrible, it is not average...it is not OK....it is terrible!

We don't need to be the team known for "making" a promising rookie QB into the next David Carr !! If our line was even close to being average I would probably be leading the charge with you for a QB. Problem is we live in the real world. I am not going to go buy a Porsche if I don't have any insurance or a garage to put it in. You have to protect and take care of your prize possessions.

Fact, not crusade and FACTS back up my position on the subject.

Just because you put FACTS in caps doesn't mean you have any!!! In FACT I have disputed and refuted much of the information that you try to offer as FACTS.

I have not heard much about Tony Washington. Do we take Claussen first, then Washington? I see that they have Washington as early as the 2nd round, but he might be there in round 3.

How's this for a draft deterrent...Washington has character issues. He was convicted of having consensual sex with his 15 year old sister when he was 16 :blink:

I have not heard much about Tony Washington. Do we take Claussen first, then Washington? I see that they have Washington as early as the 2nd round, but he might be there in round 3.

How's this for a draft deterrent...Washington has character issues. He was convicted of having consensual sex with his 15 year old sister when he was 16 :blink:

This has been discussed here before. Personally, I'd be willing to take a flyer on him...seems he made a bad decision, while in the wrong environment at a very young age. Been good since.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=110047