Clausen vs an OT

Snopple

Exactly...I posted MONTHS ago that we should be moving to get Gaither from the Ravens, and if we got him for a second round pick, I'd be pleased. This crew hasn't shown the gumption to move on this front, so I imagine that ninny Shanahan may pick him up.

How do you know that they haven't been trying to trade for Gaither? As it turns out, they apparently made a serious run at McNabb only to have him reject the Bills.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A QB can make an offensive line look better than it is. The same can not be said in reverse. The Bills have not had an opportunity like this since Kelly was drafted in the mid 80s. Unless the guy has killed someone or beaten women and children then the Bills should draft Clausen and send the Redskins a gift basket for making the trade for the overrated McNabb.

Could not agree more. The Packers o-line was dreadful last year. Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,434 yards and 30 TDs last year. If Clausen is there, and the they think he's a franchise QB, he MUST be the pick.

Could not agree more. The Packers o-line was dreadful last year. Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,434 yards and 30 TDs last year. If Clausen is there, and the they think he's a franchise QB, he MUST be the pick.

Rodgers rode the bench in Green Bay for 4 seasons. It's not like he did all that as a rookie.

People LOVE to throw out exceptions to the rule to validate their choice for our first round pick. QBs like Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger are rare. Guys that can somehow be extremely productive while getting harassed big time. Tell me which QB in this draft is going to be able to get pummeled like Aaron Rogers and Big Ben and I'll say go ahead and draft him.

Being one for applying the hypothetical to the real unfortunately I think we will have to draft Claussen. Not "unfortunate" because he is a bad prospect. I think he is actually better than Bradford and has a stronger arm for our Buffalo windy and snowy weather. "Unfortunate" because it is entirely probable that 4 LTs go before pick #9. Claussen is a better choice than the 5th best LT. If only 3 LTs go before our pick I would strongly consider a LT assuming the right one falls to us.

The speed of the game is so much different. In college you may go against a pro prospect 4 times in a season or have one rusher to max protect against.

In the pros you are going against the best every week and if you do not have a line, well captian check down number two and what good is that.

I don't think Clausen is the save all end all.

So I would draft OT and if top four are gone I go NT or pass rusher and get next best linemen in second round stay put or trading up to late first to get Saffold.

See Option 2 below

The Bills had a Pro Bowl LT, and when they dealt him away (and had a revolving door of street FA's making up the line for most of the season), they finished with teh same results, another mediocre season and a top 10 pick.

So your point is?

I see it as a three-headed argument. I'm not 100% sold on Claussen or Bulaga---both players might have reached their pinnacle---good but not GREAT. The third part of the argument comes later.

If it has to be between the two I take: Bulaga. If he ends up being average that's fine. The Bills cannot afford to have a high pick be a complete bust. The #9 pick MUST CONTRIBUTE right away.

The third part of the argument is if Bulaga isn't there at #9. I believe an OLB like Kindle or Graham trumps Claussen. I'm worried that the Bills have too much of an experiment going on at OLB with Maybin, Kelsay, and the will-he-or-won't-he-retire Aaron Schobel. That position could be the Bills disaster this year. Maybe they can get value at the position in the 2nd round, but look at the contributions the REAL linebackers of last years draft made; Orakpo, Cushing, Clay Matthews, etc.

C.J. Spiller could also be a factor.