Ever Wonder What Will Happen to the B-side?

vinyl sales are actually up. a lot. A great deal of people are rejecting this whole mp3 thing (seriously, who pays for a consumer good you cant hold?). The labels are smart--you buy a record on vinyl and it almost always comes with a download code or cd. the indies are dropping singles like nobody's business. I just pre-ordered a Boston Spaceships 45 that ended up selling through its entire run in 2 days. The b-side will leave popular consciousness, but luckily there are enough nerds like me kicking around to keep the concept alive.

vinyl sales are actually up. a lot. A great deal of people are rejecting this whole mp3 thing (seriously, who pays for a consumer good you cant hold?). The labels are smart--you buy a record on vinyl and it almost always comes with a download code or cd. the indies are dropping singles like nobody's business. I just pre-ordered a Boston Spaceships 45 that ended up selling through its entire run in 2 days. The b-side will leave popular consciousness, but luckily there are enough nerds like me kicking around to keep the concept alive.

I work, part time, in one of the greatest record stores in America (Waterloo, in Austin, TX)... vinyl sales are through the roof, these days, compared to cd's. If you have a large cd collection, and think you might move on to something else, sell them now...while they still have value.

As for B-sides, the two that come to mind:

1- The Beatles- "I'm Down" (flip side of "Help"- McCartney at his best!)

2- The Replacements "If Only You Were Lonely" (flip side of "I'm In Trouble")

I am sure I could think of a dozen others, but two that I have always cherished, more than the A-sides!

Also the idea behind vinyl is that analog recording on a good modern vinyl player is of higher quality then a digital (CD or even MP3) recording. In an analog recording you get the bottom and top bar of the recording while in a digital recording you loose that part of the sound thanks to compressing it to fit into the data.

All in all vinyl has found a big niche audience and it will be around as long as their are geeks like me willing to pay extra for a physical product as well as the download code. Some big rock artists as well as indie artists still record on vinyl in fact more and more are recording on vinyl each and every year.

I've hated CDs since I listened to my first one. (FZ WOIIFTM, good choice, not!) I'm a committable committed vinyl guy from the get-go. Currently I have a VPI TT. I use it less and less, even though it sounds better.

Most of the time now, I listen to itunes from a Mac laptop into my system. Hard drive playback of ripped CDs sounds WAY better than the CDs unless they are played back on top equipment.

The vinyl still sounds better, but itunes shuffle is the best dj (as apposed to DJ) I have ever heard. And I'm lazy, getting up every X minutes to flip a side is a drag. So is deciding what to play.

Also the idea behind vinyl is that analog recording on a good modern vinyl player is of higher quality then a digital (CD or even MP3) recording. In an analog recording you get the bottom and top bar of the recording while in a digital recording you loose that part of the sound thanks to compressing it to fit into the data.

All in all vinyl has found a big niche audience and it will be around as long as their are geeks like me willing to pay extra for a physical product as well as the download code. Some big rock artists as well as indie artists still record on vinyl in fact more and more are recording on vinyl each and every year.

The other great thing about vinyl is the insane resell value. You buy a record for $15 and don't dig it? You can unload it on ebay for probably $10-12. You buy a crappy $15 cd? You're fortunate to get a buck. Leads to safety in experimentation...always a good thing.

plus they're cooler and smell great. Seriously, go smell a record. I want to live in that smell.

Top five B-Sides (off the top of my head):

The Misfits "She" (flip of Cough/Cool)

Muler "Slowpoke" (flip of On the Rug)

Toiling Midgets "Mr. Fosters Shoes" (flip of Golden Frog)

Red Red Meat "Gauze" (flip of Idiot Son)

Fresh & Onlys "Horrible Door" (flip of Laughter is Contagious)

The other great thing about vinyl is the insane resell value. You buy a record for $15 and don't dig it? You can unload it on ebay for probably $10-12. You buy a crappy $15 cd? You're fortunate to get a buck. Leads to safety in experimentation...always a good thing.

plus they're cooler and smell great. Seriously, go smell a record. I want to live in that smell.

Top five B-Sides (off the top of my head):

The Misfits "She" (flip of Cough/Cool)

Muler "Slowpoke" (flip of On the Rug)

Toiling Midgets "Mr. Fosters Shoes" (flip of Golden Frog)

Red Red Meat "Gauze" (flip of Idiot Son)

Fresh & Onlys "Horrible Door" (flip of Laughter is Contagious)

Oh...those are the A-sides...or the B-sides...err, uh...I am confused. :wacko::angry:

Oh...those are the A-sides...or the B-sides...err, uh...I am confused. :cry::thumbsup:

nope, all b sides

A side is the single

B side is the song that rarely shows up on the album the single is from. Back in the day you'd get covers or something as a B. Or if the label says they want one song to be the single and the band feels differently, that jam pops up as the B in hopes of the DJ flipping the single over.

You do get double A sides...jukebox singles are always double A singles, for example. Beatles or Stones or beach Boys singles are probably all double a since they don't really have obscure no album cuts sitting around the vault.

nope, all b sides

A side is the single

B side is the song that rarely shows up on the album the single is from. Back in the day you'd get covers or something as a B. Or if the label says they want one song to be the single and the band feels differently, that jam pops up as the B in hopes of the DJ flipping the single over.

You do get double A sides...jukebox singles are always double A singles, for example. Beatles or Stones or beach Boys singles are probably all double a since they don't really have obscure no album cuts sitting around the vault.

Yeah, I know that...just making a joke about your rather esoteric taste! :thumbsup:

btw- Beatles and Stones had a number of obscure B-sides, songs that weren't (originally) on any full length album...of course now, all of them have been put on full length cd's. The American album "Hey Jude" was comprised of singles that were released in the UK, but never made it to America...you know, "obscure" tunes like "Paperback Writer" and "Lady Madonna"

1964: Beatles

A: Eight Days a Week

B: I Don't Want to Spoil the Party

1969 - Creedence Clearwater Revival

A: Proud Mary

B: Born on the Bayou

God that makes me feel old!

Great song...really shows how much, early on especially, how influenced by American country music the Beatles were. Could have been a Buck Owens song...Roseanne Cash does a great version of "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party".

I don't know about the best, but the worst B side I ever heard was "Who Has Seen the Wind?" (on "Instant Karma!") by Yoko ono. Played at 33 rpm it almost sounded like a human voice. Almost.

I hate to quote myself, but speaking of Yoko, what is with the knitting while wearing a blind fold?

No wonder the Beatles broke up.