easiest way to lay down grass seed

Bare with me please.....

- A while back I had to have my septic system entirely replaced.....when they did this they had to dig a whole in my front yard. Now of course my nice plush sod lawn has a big hole in it.

- I would like some opinions on the cheapest, easiest steps to putting grass down and have it grow back.

- One factor I need to mention is my back is kaputz.....bulging disks dont allow me to do a lot of manual labor work anymore.......I have to do a lot of work from a standing position.

If you can have an inch or two of fresh topsoil down, just shake seed liberally onto the dirt. Turn a leaf rake upside down and rake over it a few times to work the seed in. Then just cover it with some peat moss and make sure it stays damp at all times. Should see sprouts within 5 days.

If you can have an inch or two of fresh topsoil down, just shake seed liberally onto the dirt. Turn a leaf rake upside down and rake over it a few times to work the seed in. Then just cover it with some peat moss and make sure it stays damp at all times. Should see sprouts within 5 days.

This is the easiest way to do it. The only thing I would add is that you don't have to add any topsoil. You can just water down the ground and soften it up real good (an inch or 2 deep) with a steel rake or hula hoe. It may be easier on your back not to be lugging around new topsoil.

This is the easiest way to do it. The only thing I would add is that you don't have to add any topsoil. You can just water down the ground and soften it up real good (an inch or 2 deep) with a steel rake or hula hoe. It may be easier on your back not to be lugging around new topsoil.

Id would like to add to your post.

Wait till after a good ass rain, it will loosen up the soil, makes the job MUCH easier.

You do have to put a light layer of topsoil down, enough to cover the seeds. If you don't the birds will eat the grass seeds, happened to me when I did my backyard, learned the hard way.

Id would like to add to your post.

Wait till after a good ass rain, it will loosen up the soil, makes the job MUCH easier.

You do have to put a light layer of topsoil down, enough to cover the seeds. If you don't the birds will eat the grass seeds, happened to me when I did my backyard, learned the hard way.

You are correct. You need to cover the seeds. I meant that he doesn't have to lay any new soil UNDER the seed. It's probly nice if you do,but not absolutely nessecary.

My back is shot also ...but I seeded a about 2 acres by myself . get a broad caster .You can push it easily 2 bad knees also. buy some good perenial grass seed . Get some granuler fertilizer and some straw. put the seed down ,then the fertilizer ,then cover with straw. wet down a little every night and then you will beaching about mowing it in about a month. Go to a feed store they will tell you how much product you need and what setting to set the broadcaster at. goodluck. :lol:

My back is shot also ...but I seeded a about 2 acres by myself . get a broad caster .You can push it easily 2 bad knees also. buy some good perenial grass seed . Get some granuler fertilizer and some straw. put the seed down ,then the fertilizer ,then cover with straw. wet down a little every night and then you will beaching about mowing it in about a month. Go to a feed store they will tell you how much product you need and what setting to set the broadcaster at. goodluck. :lol:

Yeah i can walk around to do this just getting on my hands and knees is difficult right now....

Been sleeping in a reclining chair for over a month