Does "water bug" mean Roscoe?

Allen Wilson's article about Chan Gailey wanting consistency in the offense was updated yesterday. While I re-read the part about quick-as-a-cat water bugs, I got to thinking, maybe he means that's how he will use Roscoe. I know he was referring to draft picks, but that could be a smokescreen.

"The guys who are coming out now," he said, "there's a bunch of those 5[foot]-9, 180- to 185- pound, quick-as-a-cat water bugs that are running backs/slash receivers that might give you a little bit of a punch on the field and maybe make a big play."

Parrish is listed at 5'9" 178 on the team roster. I know we've tried using Roscoe on reverses and other trick plays, and it usually backfires. Lining him up in the backfield and/or the Wildcat is an interesting way to utilize his talents is all I'm saying.

Allen Wilson's article about Chan Gailey wanting consistency in the offense was updated yesterday. While I re-read the part about quick-as-a-cat water bugs, I got to thinking, maybe he means that's how he will use Roscoe. I know he was referring to draft picks, but that could be a smokescreen.

Parrish is listed at 5'9" 178 on the team roster. I know we've tried using Roscoe on reverses and other trick plays, and it usually backfires. Lining him up in the backfield and/or the Wildcat is an interesting way to utilize his talents is all I'm saying.

Roscoe doesn't get touches because we don't sustain drives.... On a team such as NE,NO, IND,MIN or even Philly, he becomes another weapon.. In Buffalo, we can't stop falling all over ourselves on O... I completely see Gailey TRYING to use him in the slot, out of the backfield, in gadget plays.. you name it, but it won't manifest into anything if we can't run the ball and complete 3rd and 5... Now, he could help with the short yardage situations, but, like I said, there aren't enough of them...

It's amazing to me how differently people can look at the same weight. Some guys can be built like a bull-dozer at 180 and the same guy might be lean, lanky. The way muscle and mass is distributed really contributes to a player. In Roscoe's case, I think he's fast but weak. You can probably find a guy his relative size that can take hits, break tackles, etc. Maybe a McCluster or Spiller type.

I think I recall shouting at Roscoe during games last year when he handled the ball - and he never covered it up, I mean he was practically handing it to the opposition - and it seemed like whenever he had the ball the opposition was coached to try and swat it out of his hands... I don't like him as a runner in traffic.

Last year he was horrible at punt returns, almost detrimental to the team. I am curious as to why he is still on the roster.

Yes, let's immediately cut any and every player who has had a down year - Roscoe, Marshawn, Stroud, who else am I forgetting?

Sure Roscoe is a water-bug type of player. As some people said he has to get the ball in open space to be effective.

He is still on the roster because we only have 4 WR's on the roster right now. I think Gailey will find a way to use him if he is as good as people say he is . I hope so.

I don't think Parrish sitting on the bench during Jauron's tenure is an indictment of Parrish's ability...but Jauron's coaching.

Same goes for Lee Evans and the Tight End position. Lee Evans is ultra-talented, and I believe Shawn Nelson is as well. I think both will benefit from the new coaching philosophy.

Well with Reed gone the if the season started today Roscoe would be the starting slot reciever. He's one of those players that's never really lived up to his pro potential except as a punt returner. I for one hope he can have a break through year and be succesful as a starting slot receiver and punt returner. I think he led the league for avg. punt return yards before he fumbled away the kick against Cleveland. I think it was Blake Constanze that put the nail the coffine last year by covering up the fumble. Parrish quickly found his way into the dog house never to return since.

no it doesn't. Parrish is a pure slot WR who has done nothing in his carrer but PR.

yea well in collage he was used correctly and the coach of Miami made sure he got the ball in his hands @ least 15 times a game.

i believe Galiey knows what he has and will totally use all of Parrish's immense diverse talents to the fullest mark my words.

i believe one of the reasons he is not worried about our WR core because Parrish will play a big part in our new offense.

no one can deny that every time he gets the ball in space he is a threat to take it to the house!

Well with Reed gone the if the season started today Roscoe would be the starting slot reciever. He's one of those players that's never really lived up to his pro potential except as a punt returner. I for one hope he can have a break through year and be succesful as a starting slot receiver and punt returner. I think he led the league for avg. punt return yards before he fumbled away the kick against Cleveland. I think it was Blake Constanze that put the nail the coffine last year by covering up the fumble. Parrish quickly found his way into the dog house never to return since.

Not to mention that the Bills were deadlocked in the 3rd Q of a soul crushing 3-3 game at the time, and I felt like Roscoe changed his return style to try to be a little more aggressive and go for a ball he shouldn't have touched. As bad as that turnover was, if you were watching that game, you were begging for SOMEBODY to do SOMETHING, and Roscoe was only getting on the field on ST anyway. I kind of understood.

It's amazing to me how differently people can look at the same weight. Some guys can be built like a bull-dozer at 180 and the same guy might be lean, lanky. The way muscle and mass is distributed really contributes to a player. In Roscoe's case, I think he's fast but weak. You can probably find a guy his relative size that can take hits, break tackles, etc. Maybe a McCluster or Spiller type.

I think I recall shouting at Roscoe during games last year when he handled the ball - and he never covered it up, I mean he was practically handing it to the opposition - and it seemed like whenever he had the ball the opposition was coached to try and swat it out of his hands... I don't like him as a runner in traffic.

thats absolutely ridiculous just because he had that unfortunate fumble in the browns game you make a ridiculous statement as this one.

he is not a fumbler and has never been one to label him one only shows you are clueless!

I think Gailey means a different "waterbug", a new waterbug. Hopefully one that can think and chew gum at the same time.

In an anemic DJ offense it's hard to get the ball into a quick guys hands in space b/c the opposing defense can crowd the line and sit on the short stuff. When plays develop down the field and the defense has to respect it, opportunities for guys like Parrish open up underneath.

FWIW, I have a feeling that Chan will know how to get some production from him on offense. The guy was an offensive threat in college at WR. He also played QB in HS, which might be something to utilize in a wild cat.

As for his punt returning, he is one of the best in the game. It should be noted that opposing teams know what he can do and take that into account when they punt.

Yes, let's immediately cut any and every player who has had a down year - Roscoe, Marshawn, Stroud, who else am I forgetting?

Yes, because that is exactly what i was saying.....it has been an ongoing issue that Roscoe wanted to be more then just a special teams returner. Because of this he wanted to be traded and gave very little effort in his play last year.

Those are my reasons for thinking he would be gone, not just cause of a down year. Way to read into things.

He ran one play as a "wildcat" QB when Mularkey was here. He had abroken finger and threw a 2 yard pass. Nothing against him i just remembered when reading your post.