nt

Jeff Wright was one of the reasons that the Bills didn't win one of the Super Bowls they were in.

All good 3-4 defenses have a very good NT and while I like Kyle Williams very much as a player, I

don't think he is going to be an outstanding NT to anchor a good 3-4 defense.

Unfortunately, there aren't very many real 3-4 NT candidates in this years draft (at least good ones)

and due to the shortage they will all likely be picked higher than their ability warrants. I am especially

afraid of Terrence Cody and his lack of work ethic/effort. I think Dan Williams will be taken almost a

full round ahead of where he should be and I don't think any of the rest of the NT candidates are

worth more than a 3rd/4th round pick (all based on the reports I've read).

So, they may be forced to play Kyle Williams at NT this year and he'll probably be "OK" there, but

he would be better (I think) at DE or as a backup/change of pace NT behind a big NT.

Jeff Wright was one of the reasons that the Bills didn't win one of the Super Bowls they were in.

All good 3-4 defenses have a very good NT and while I like Kyle Williams very much as a player, I

don't think he is going to be an outstanding NT to anchor a good 3-4 defense.

Unfortunately, there aren't very many real 3-4 NT candidates in this years draft (at least good ones)

and due to the shortage they will all likely be picked higher than their ability warrants. I am especially

afraid of Terrence Cody and his lack of work ethic/effort. I think Dan Williams will be taken almost a

full round ahead of where he should be and I don't think any of the rest of the NT candidates are

worth more than a 3rd/4th round pick (all based on the reports I've read).

So, they may be forced to play Kyle Williams at NT this year and he'll probably be "OK" there, but

he would be better (I think) at DE or as a backup/change of pace NT behind a big NT.

Seems a bit harsh.

I team with at least 5 Hall of Fame players on the field, plus a HoF coach, plus another 10 or so players that made pro bowls and Jeff Wright is getting the blame? Wow!

Seems a bit harsh.

I team with at least 5 Hall of Fame players on the field, plus a HoF coach, plus another 10 or so players that made pro bowls and Jeff Wright is getting the blame? Wow!

The Bills lost to the Giants because they could not stop the run. Wright was a very undersized NT who could penetrate

on occasion, but was not stout against the run.

You certainly can't blame him alone for the loss, but with a big time NT instead of Wright, I think the Bills would have

beaten the Giants.

You can disagree if you like.

The Bills lost to the Giants because they could not stop the run. Wright was a very undersized NT who could penetrate

You certainly can't blame him alone for the loss, but with a big time NT instead of Wright, I think the Bills would have

beaten the Giants.

I'm not looking to find blame, but if I were, I'd blame the architect.

I think Wright was ehhhhh...but still our defense was horrible against the run back then...I mean 3.3-3.9 a carry isn't terrible...but whatever, I still want a four million pound NT...Williams is a bad azz but I'd rather see him at end on running downs and NT only on passing downs...

I think Wright was ehhhhh...but still our defense was horrible against the run back then...I mean 3.3-3.9 a carry isn't terrible...but whatever, I still want a four million pound NT...Williams is a bad azz but I'd rather see him at end on running downs and NT only on passing downs...

+1

beaten the Giants.

Not stopping the run was indeed a big part of the loss. Not stopping the pass was too. The Giants had several very long drives where they mixed run and pass. My point is that the other 10 players on defense did not step up enough either. I can recall Talley missing a crucial 3rd down tackle that keeps a long Giants scoring drive going. I recall Bennett dropping an interception. I recall Bruce Smith, on numerous occasions, failing to contain the run because he was taking inside moves to get to the QB.

On offense we made mistakes as well. The Giants took the Andre Reed slant pattern out of the playbook and yet we kept going back to it. We came up short on 3rd down numerous times because of it. We passed too much against a 2 man line. Had we run Therman more they would have scrapped that formation and then we could have open up the passing lanes.

Lots of reasons we lost but mostly it was superb coaching and execution by the more experienced opponent. We did exactly what they expected us to do and they executed their game plan perfectly.

Not stopping the run was indeed a big part of the loss. Not stopping the pass was too. The Giants had several very long drives where they mixed run and pass. My point is that the other 10 players on defense did not step up enough either. I can recall Talley missing a crucial 3rd down tackle that keeps a long Giants scoring drive going. I recall Bennett dropping an interception. I recall Bruce Smith, on numerous occasions, failing to contain the run because he was taking inside moves to get to the QB.

On offense we made mistakes as well. The Giants took the Andre Reed slant pattern out of the playbook and yet we kept going back to it. We came up short on 3rd down numerous times because of it. We passed too much against a 2 man line. Had we run Therman more they would have scrapped that formation and then we could have open up the passing lanes.

Lots of reasons we lost but mostly it was superb coaching and execution by the more experienced opponent. We did exactly what they expected us to do and they executed their game plan perfectly.

Agreed, you can't pin any one loss on any one player. I guess my point was that I wouldn't want to compare NT candidates using Jeff Wright as an example of a good NT. IMHO, he was definitely not one of the strengths of that defense.

Agreed, you can't pin any one loss on any one player. I guess my point was that I wouldn't want to compare NT candidates using Jeff Wright as an example of a good NT. IMHO, he was definitely not one of the strengths of that defense.

I wish we had kept Smerlas one more year. He would have played in SB XXV. He and Wright would have made a good rotation.