Civil Service

PushthePile

I took the Rochester City Fire Department civil service test in 2006. I scored a 93 and had that score bounced up to a 98 with veterans points. Within a year after the 2006 test I received a letter from the VA saying that they wanted me to come in and test my hearing. The test results showed I had damaged ear drums and that turned into a very small percentage of combat related disability. Which really means I get a very tiny check in the mail each month but more importantly I'm supposed to get an extra 10 points instead of 5 for civil service tests.

I contact the city and ask them if I can have my score raised. They don't respond to me, so I try again, and I get a no from one of the civil service employees. So I'm stuck at 98.

Fastfoward to 2009, I get contacted by the city in regards to the 2006 test. They want to start processing all the scores in my range. I go through the whole process, background checks, interviews, fingerprints, doctor examination, physical agility test, and more. I pass all of the stages and watch the group get smaller and smaller. I'm told to wait to be contacted about the possibility of getting hired.

I got a letter yesterday saying I wasn't chosen and a contact number if I had questions. I call the number and am told I was extremely close and that I missed out because I didn't score a 100 on the original test. I tell her the whole story about getting denied the extra points and she says that decision was the difference between me getting hired and not.

Many people have told me to hire an attorney and file a grievance with the city. This is completely not my style but friends and family are all over me about it. This is the career I have always wanted for myself. I became EMT certified just to help boost my stock. This letter really crushed me but the phone call was worse. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? Or any advice? I plan to continue taking tests and trying but I'm 30 now and I feel like the window is closing. Does this situation merit looking into legally?

I'm not considering this out of spite, I can handle being told I need to improve in certain areas. Truthfully, I was told those two points made the difference of being hired or not and I feel I missed out on the extra 5.

I took the Rochester City Fire Department civil service test in 2006. I scored a 93 and had that score bounced up to a 98 with veterans points. Within a year after the 2006 test I received a letter from the VA saying that they wanted me to come in and test my hearing. The test results showed I had damaged ear drums and that turned into a very small percentage of combat related disability. Which really means I get a very tiny check in the mail each month but more importantly I'm supposed to get an extra 10 points instead of 5 for civil service tests.

I contact the city and ask them if I can have my score raised. They don't respond to me, so I try again, and I get a no from one of the civil service employees. So I'm stuck at 98.

Fastfoward to 2009, I get contacted by the city in regards to the 2006 test. They want to start processing all the scores in my range. I go through the whole process, background checks, interviews, fingerprints, doctor examination, physical agility test, and more. I pass all of the stages and watch the group get smaller and smaller. I'm told to wait to be contacted about the possibility of getting hired.

I got a letter yesterday saying I wasn't chosen and a contact number if I had questions. I call the number and am told I was extremely close and that I missed out because I didn't score a 100 on the original test. I tell her the whole story about getting denied the extra points and she says that decision was the difference between me getting hired and not.

Many people have told me to hire an attorney and file a grievance with the city. This is completely not my style but friends and family are all over me about it. This is the career I have always wanted for myself. I became EMT certified just to help boost my stock. This letter really crushed me but the phone call was worse. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? Or any advice? I plan to continue taking tests and trying but I'm 30 now and I feel like the window is closing. Does this situation merit looking into legally?

I'm not considering this out of spite, I can handle being told I need to improve in certain areas. Truthfully, I was told those two points made the difference of being hired or not and I feel I missed out on the extra 5.

Shiv the mo fo.......

i was just hired to a civil service position and scored 110 on my test. 100 on exam and 10 points for disabled vet.

to simply answer your questions,

any vet preference whether 5 for regular vets, or 10 for disabled vets, along with any 5 point claims for son/daughter of police/firefighters killed in line of duty must be made before the eligible list is established.

once that list is established no points can be added.

furthermore, your score does not guarantee you a job. they just have to hire 1 of the top 3 reachable scores.

so you can score a 100 and not be selected. happens all the time when someone who scores a 90 gets a job over people with 100's and 95's. usually the person that scored a 90 has an in with whatever dept it is

i was just hired to a civil service position and scored 110 on my test. 100 on exam and 10 points for disabled vet.

to simply answer your questions,

any vet preference whether 5 for regular vets, or 10 for disabled vets, along with any 5 point claims for son/daughter of police/firefighters killed in line of duty must be made before the eligible list is established.

once that list is established no points can be added.

furthermore, your score does not guarantee you a job. they just have to hire 1 of the top 3 reachable scores.

so you can score a 100 and not be selected. happens all the time when someone who scores a 90 gets a job over people with 100's and 95's. usually the person that scored a 90 has an in with whatever dept it is

Thank you. This is what I believed to be the case but people keep trying to tell me I need to fight it. It sucks for me but seems to be fair.

The fire department is hiring "disabled" vets? The post office sure, but the fire department?

Tons of disabled vets in civil service jobs. Disabled vet does not always mean missing a limb, can be something small, like hearing loss. Lots of disabled vets in federal government, I work with some, they carry guns, and are normal hard working guys. Actually these guys are great to be around in a firefight (they've been there before and don't freak out when bullets start to fly). I'd run into a crackhouse on a search warrant behind a disabled vet anytime!

Tons of disabled vets in civil service jobs. Disabled vet does not always mean missing a limb, can be something small, like hearing loss. Lots of disabled vets in federal government, I work with some, they carry guns, and are normal hard working guys. Actually these guys are great to be around in a firefight (they've been there before and don't freak out when bullets start to fly). I'd run into a crackhouse on a search warrant behind a disabled vet anytime!

I felt bad when I posted it, but a "disabled" firefighter just sounded too odd. But I agree, it depends on what the disability is. I would imagine anyone who has been in a firefight in Irag would be a cool customer in police/ firefighter work :blink:

I'm a little familiar with a similar situation but from the other side. My brother took the Lieutenants exam for the fire department he is in. Several people who also took the test, did poorly. My brother had the highest score, so he would have had the next available opening. Those other people decided to sue the city and get the test thrown out, invalidating everyones scores, requiring a new test, which was just given a few weeks ago.

You can file a grievance, but if they don't want to hire you they won't hire you. I applied and did all of the testing to be a police officer for 9 years, and couldn't get hired on. They kept telling me that I didn't have enough "life's experience". Then finally 9 years later an agency told me they wouldn't hire me because I applied to too many different agencies. I threw in the towel after that.

Now, keep in mind I am not a veteran, but I volunteered a lot of time with my local sheriff's office when I was younger.

IMO, it's politics. You probably didn't fit the exact criteria of what they wanted then. Try again. From what I have been told it is all about the timing. If you time it right then you will get hired on. Sounds more like luck to me. In any event, good luck and I hope you get hired on.

You can file a grievance, but if they don't want to hire you they won't hire you. I applied and did all of the testing to be a police officer for 9 years, and couldn't get hired on. They kept telling me that I didn't have enough "life's experience". Then finally 9 years later an agency told me they wouldn't hire me because I applied to too many different agencies. I threw in the towel after that.

Now, keep in mind I am not a veteran, but I volunteered a lot of time with my local sheriff's office when I was younger.

IMO, it's politics. You probably didn't fit the exact criteria of what they wanted then. Try again. From what I have been told it is all about the timing. If you time it right then you will get hired on. Sounds more like luck to me. In any event, good luck and I hope you get hired on.

Thanks Kevin, I'm definately going to keep trying. I completely agree with you on the politics end of it though.

I'm a little familiar with a similar situation but from the other side. My brother took the Lieutenants exam for the fire department he is in. Several people who also took the test, did poorly. My brother had the highest score, so he would have had the next available opening. Those other people decided to sue the city and get the test thrown out, invalidating everyones scores, requiring a new test, which was just given a few weeks ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529409,00.html

Did you here about this case?

It couldn't hurt to actually speak to a lawyer about your situation, can it? The worst they can do is confirm what's been said here. At best, you have a fighting chance at a job you really want.

Good luck to you, either way.

I agree that you should look into it. Even if it doesn't help for this particular job, you should continue trying to get those points added so they will be there for the next opening.