Donte is starting?

interesting quote in Allen Wilson's article about Chan Gailey's comments during an AFC coaches breakfast.

"I'm talking about your top eight players, this is as strong a group as I've ever been around," he said. "Even the backups in Buffalo ... Our backup safeties are Bryan [scott] and [George] Wilson. That's two pretty good safeties."

If George is a backup, at least for now, does that mean Donte is the starting SS?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can go ahead and pencil McCargo in to then , eh?

Exactly...I sure as hell hope this new Staff is not looking to stroke lil' donte's ego cause on the field Wilson/Byrd was a MUCH better combination than Whitner/anyone...

I know it seems rediculous to have a #8 overall Draft Pick as your 3rd Safety...But that's all Donte is on this Team...He flat out is not as good as the other two guys and probably never will be...We'll see though...Maybe he gets a spark with this new Staff...Who knows? B-)

MCCARGO! B-)

No, I get it. But you apparently think it's Donte's devine right to be a starter, even though others have clearly out played him, because he was a first round pick. Yet the same benefit doesn't apply to McCargo, because McCargo was drafted to fit a different defensive scheme than the 3-4.

So, my question to you was...."Donte Whitner was drafted to fit the 3-4?"

Well, if he is on the trading block it helps his value if the Bills say he is the starting SS.

he's not on the trading block, Gailey made that clear before

He dismissed speculation about a potential trade of safety Donte Whitner: "Obviously it must have gotten a life of its own somewhere. We feel like we've got a strong secondary. Donte's a big part of that and is going to be a big part of that. To me you would not weaken one of your strengths. I don't know where that came from."

I actually like the idea and agree with Gailey that we have a very impressive group of safeties. If Wilson or Scott are good enough to start and beat out the starters, I can't imagine they wouldn't get the opportunity to earn the starting position. DB's are the strength of this team.

No, I get it. But you apparently think it's Donte's devine right to be a starter, even though others have clearly out played him, because he was a first round pick. Yet the same benefit doesn't apply to McCargo, because McCargo was drafted to fit a different defensive scheme than the 3-4.

So, my question to you was...."Donte Whitner was drafted to fit the 3-4?"

You're constructing an argument that I haven't made.

Outside of those in the Bills fan base who are intent on hating Whitner because he was drafted too high (or whatever other reason), Whitner is a highly respected safety. Other teams, coaches, and players seems to respect his ability despite bill's fans opinions. Not so surprising he would be the assumed started going into the offseason program.

Outside of those in the Bills fan base who are intent on hating Whitner because he was drafted too high (or whatever other reason), Whitner is a highly respected safety. Other teams, coaches, and players seems to respect his ability despite bill's fans opinions. Not so surprising he would be the assumed started going into the offseason program.

True. He keeps going to all those probowls and you just can't take this away from him.

This is not a big deal to me. The only reason George Wilson was starting was because of Donte's injuries. Is he most likely a better Safety? Yes, he is. And he'll have training camp to prove it again and beat Donte out (if he can). But I don't remember getting the memo that George had officially supplanted Donte at any time. So, yeah, George Wilson is a backup.

..... at least for now B-)

It is amazing to continue to read the criticims of those who are super critical of some of our players. Whitner may not be All Pro but the comments from the national media and other players all seem to endorse the fact that this is a guy who most teams would want playing for them. In fact, most fan bases would want a guy who strives to rally his team and the public even when the overall team sucks.

No, he wasn't drafted for the 3-4 but what he has done is to help cover our problems and overwhelming injuries to the secondary.

I am critical of the schemes in which our teams have had to play during the last few years. That is on the coaching staff and primarily the head coach but the secondary during these awful years has continued to not get burnt, which is surprising considering the lack of an efficient pass rush, the number of injuries to its players, and the effectiveness of the run against the team. The man coaching that secondary is back and maybe he has a little better insight than those who are all too busy trashing Donte ...

As for me ... give me a team of players wanting to guarantee a playoff spot and then let them go out the prove it.

And, may the best players win the starting positions .... today's depth chart is tomorrow's kitty litter. We will see in September who the new Buffalo Bills are and there is a chance that by having a coach who plays to win rather than who tries to not lose some of the players we have put down still may rise to the challenge!